Windows 10: HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions

Discus and support HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My D: disk disconnected and when I rebooted it showed up as two empty partitions. One of them I can't do anything with, the other I can't access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Psychosmiley999, Aug 3, 2016.

1. HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions

My D: disk disconnected and when I rebooted it showed up as two empty partitions. One of them I can't do anything with, the other I can't access without formatting, which I want to avoid if possible. No clue how this happened since it was working literally minutes ago, but hey that's computers for ya. Should I just format it and use a recovery tool or is there a solution?

:)

Psychosmiley999, Aug 3, 2016

2. A Question regarding a system image

Hi guys I have one SSD for my windows 10 OS and two HDD's. The thing is i have partitioned one of my HDD's to store a system image on it. The 1 TB has a partition of 42gb to hold the system image as the image is only 38gb. The other remaining 889gb is just
    for movies, music, pics and documents. But soon as the system image is created and added to the 42gb partition the other remaining empty 889gb has 45gb randomly used up and when i view hidden files there is nothing there. Also when unchecking "Hide protected
    operating system files" there are no files show that equal to 45gb. I deleted the partitions and recreated the partitions and formatted my drive several times yet when the image is created and added to the 42gb partition the other remaining empty 889gb partitioned
    drive shows 45gb randomly used when its empty.

Please help me thanks

Ali_AGamer, Aug 3, 2016
  3. LSTech2 Win User
    Bootmgr missing after check disk stopped

I have dual boot windows 10 SSD/ HDD

After updating the HDD it restarted right into check disk ran for hours so i restarted,

HDD wouldnt load (forgot error), HDD access was denied in my SSD so i swapped the drive letter now i can view all HDD contents in my SSD but when i boot into HDD it now says Bootmgr is missing, looking into other fixes i found out there is two partitions
    and the windows folder is empty?!?

Im wondering if the checkdisk utility made two new partitions and moved the windows contents.

To conclude: I can boot into SSD fine and view HDD files but cannot boot into HDD as the BOOTmgr error shows.

Disk 0 is the one not booting, im worried the system files are in the two other partitions?

HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions [​IMG]

LSTech2, Aug 3, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions

Have you tried running CHKDSK on it?

simrick, Aug 4, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Scuttlebutt elsewhere indicates not running any utility [which might even include not running chkdsk - yet] that writes to any suspect partition and/or hard-drive. Have you already tried Explorer.exe with Windows in Safe Mode? What happened? Would this hard-drive be running any sort of on-board/circuit-board encryption and/or software-level portal entrance -- which I have called "The Key that unlocks the hard-drive, The Key that allows access to whatever has been placed on said hard-drive."

RolandJS, Aug 4, 2016
  6. No idea what happened, literally woke up one day to find it empty, apparently though it somehow converted it self to mbr mode. So far I've done chkdsk (the drive is fine), safemode, swapping cables/ports and nothing. However I did use data recovery and it has found all my files, but I just wanted to be certain before I do anything substatial.

Psychosmiley999, Aug 5, 2016
  7. My D:\ data drive was MIA in My PC. after the upgrade to 1607. Disk management showed it as unallocated. I had everything backed up so I just formatted it and copied my stuff back. It only happen on that one PC. I have other PC's with dual drives and they were fine.

alphanumeric, Aug 6, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Try running minitool partion wizard free.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions - Similar Threads - HDD disappeared showing

2. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything as brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  3. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything as brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  4. Empty Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty Partitions: So this is likely going to be one of the strangest questions you'll see today but I'll try to keep everything a brief as possible. Alright first off, hi, I am someone who has been using and fixing computers for the better part of a decade now and in that time I have...
  5. HDD Partition Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Partition Not Showing Up: Yesterday, I changed my motherboard and CPU and upgrade to Windows 10. Fortunately, that all went over without a hitch. Today, I installed my 4 TB HDD, my second hard drive from my "old" PC, into the rig. On that old computer with Windows 7, the 4 TB HDD had been split...
  6. Two recovery partitions, but one is mostly empty.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two recovery partitions, but one is mostly empty.: I've got two recovery partitions, one at the end of the drive and one near the beginning. The one at the end of the drive is the unlabeled 5th partition and has/Recovery/WindowsRE/Winre.wim in it which loads up the recovery environment. You can see that in this screenshot of...
  7. partition on HDD is showing unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    partition on HDD is showing unallocated: Hello all, I recently upgraded my main HD to a SSD. After i was sure i could boot off my new drive i reformatted my old C: drive. It was previously partitioned, and wanted just one drive for extra storage, so i removed it and was going to try and combine them. After i...
  8. CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty): Can I just un-install the upgrade? Why do I need it? Curious and time is too short to fiddle about with all the options i see re fixing...
  9. Creating two hdd partitions and move files to the new data partition?

Creating two hdd partitions and move files to the new data partition?: Bought a new PC two weeks ago which came with with only one large 1TB partition containing the W10 OS and data files I have created in it. How can I create a separate new partition and move my data folders to it. Are user profiles in W10 and will the creation of the...
  10. Empty HDD showing 4GB used !!!!! (Build 1607)

Empty HDD showing 4GB used !!!!! (Build 1607): Hi there Build 1607 (with latest updates) throwing up all sorts of rubbish in File explorer. Empty (newly re-formatted) HDD -- showing 4GB used even though it's EMPTY - no hidden files etc. No Recycle Bin files etc. [img] Linux shows HDD correctly a few MB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. two hdd just disapeared in windows