Windows 10: HDD Drive. Cannot access/partition/initialize.

Discus and support HDD Drive. Cannot access/partition/initialize. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I recently found my old HDD and decided to format it to get more space. It, for some reason, failed. Before I tried rebooting, I still saw... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by XMan3, Sep 16, 2016.

1. XMan3 Win User

HDD Drive. Cannot access/partition/initialize.

Hey, I recently found my old HDD and decided to format it to get more space.

It, for some reason, failed.

Before I tried rebooting, I still saw it in my files where my other drives C:, D: were, but with no meter showing how full it is and when I tried to access it it said something in the lines of "You don't have permissions"...

After I rebooted, it was completely gone from the files, but I found it in "Disk Management" and found out that I would need to "Initialize it."

So, I tried it, but it always gives me an I/O error.
    With DISKPART, it can see it as "Disk 2", and can in fact "clean" it, but, after that when I type "create partition primary", it says the following:

Code: DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information.[/quote]

:)

XMan3, Sep 16, 2016
  2. Russell61 Win User

System Reserve Partition

In installing Windows 10 on my PC with an SSD and HDD I ended up with the OS on both drives and booting from the HDD. I now have the computer booting from the SSD as I initially planned and have reformatted the HDD to eliminate the extra copy of the OS.
    However, I still have a "System Reserve Partition" on both drives. Can I remove the partition on the HDD(which does not contain the OS)? How do I go about that?

Russell61, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Bill_G Win User
    File History 2nd Drive?

1. SSD is C Drive

2. D Drive is 2 HDD's Configured as 1.

3. No Problems accessing D Drive.

4 Configuring File History via Control Panel or setting yields same result:

Cannot find a drive which is "No usable drives found"

D: Shown in Disc Management as Basic, Primary Partition

Machine id Dell I-8600

Bill_G, Sep 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might have some luck if, rather than trying to do this from Windows, you use a boot disk or device and boot your PC from that. That will free you from any permissions issues.

You should also check its SMART parameters, one you get it to a state capable of being accessed by Windows.

Partition Manager boot disk:
    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition
    Useful multipurpose boot disk:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Note that there are also numerous reports of people failing to access disks following Windows 10 upgrade and installation.
    E.g.
    Solved Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  5. XMan3 Win User
    Well, Partition manager didn't work.

It gave me errors even when it was booting up in the text mode (I'd say it was some type of Linux bootup).

I took pictures and uploaded them.

(Not sure if I uploaded them correctly, so I'll type it in here)

Code: ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0) ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16) ... x3 ata4: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16) ata4: reset failed, giving up[/quote] After that, the interface showed up and it didn't even recognize my third disk. It only showed Disk 1 and Disk 2.
    I made sure it was plugged in correctly and refreshed.

Only Windows 10 has recognized it so far.

and the Bootable Rescue Disk didn't work.

XMan3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD Drive. Cannot access/partition/initialize. - Similar Threads - HDD Drive Cannot

2. HDD cannot be accessed or initialized following restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD cannot be accessed or initialized following restart: I recently bought this PC and have been having a multitude of issues. Recently the internal HDD now registers as an unknown device after I unplugged and moved my PC. I have tried re-initializing and receive the error code "Incorrect function". I am at a loss for what to do...
  3. HDD cannot be accessed or initialized following restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD cannot be accessed or initialized following restart: I recently bought this PC and have been having a multitude of issues. Recently the internal HDD now registers as an unknown device after I unplugged and moved my PC. I have tried re-initializing and receive the error code "Incorrect function". I am at a loss for what to do...
  4. HDD drives not initializing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives not initializing: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  5. HDD drives are suddenly not initializing on reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives are suddenly not initializing on reboot: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  6. cannot access HDD partitions because of mistakes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access HDD partitions because of mistakes.: i have data on the problematic HDD that i must get. i have another HDD that works fine and i can copy data to but must not format. 1 i connected an old hard drive to my pc and saw it has 4 partitions 1 bit, 3 small and 1 unallocated. 2 i tried to set a letter to one of the...
  7. Cannot access certain partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot access certain partitions: Hi, I have an old laptop that I am trying to fix. Its a Lenovo U410 Ideapad with 3rd gen i5, 8gb RAM, 32 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD. It came pre-installed with Win 7. Sometime back, I upgraded to Win 10 and it asked me to move from MBR to GPT. Not realising what it meant, I...
  8. HDD Initializing issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Initializing issue: Hi, so I just spend roughly $5500 on a new pc which has been working pretty great except for random freezing from time to time, the entire computer just kind of slows down then turns off then when I turn my pc back on my second HDD has vanished from my computer and when...
  9. hdd not initialized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hdd not initialized: hdd not initialized just says disk 6 unknown I tried different usb ports with no success.there are files on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdd-not-initialized/d5b99338-fc73-4d7d-b95c-71a7e6f8b1fc
  10. Cannot access recovery partition in hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access recovery partition in hdd: Hi guys...... I need to recover my os..... The problem is I bought a new ssd and added it and cloned my os to the ssd...... The recovery partition that my asus rog came with is in my hdd...... How do I access it and how do I recover the os to its original state..... The hdd...