Windows 10: HDD "Not Initialised"

Discus and support HDD "Not Initialised" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; About a month or so ago I upgraded my Windows 7 machine to a Windows 10 machine. The only components from my old machine are my sound card and a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Smurof Net, Feb 15, 2017.

1. HDD "Not Initialised"

About a month or so ago I upgraded my Windows 7 machine to a Windows 10 machine. The only components from my old machine are my sound card and a couple of the HDDs (formerly C: and E:, but which I've been using as D: and E*Smile. This morning I noticed the sound of unusual disc activity that went on for several minutes, but was on my way out the door on my way to something important and didn't have the time to investigate. Now I'm back home and my E: drive isn't showing up at all anywhere other than in Disk Management and the Device Manager.

When I go to Disk Management it shows up as "Not Initialised":

HDD "Not Initialised" [​IMG]

I've downloaded Partition Wizard, but the drive doesn't show up there at all:

It shows up in the Device Manager as "Unknown device":

The Properties say that it's working normally, but that's the only information that it has.

It's identical to the D: drive, a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

It doesn't show up on the manufacturer's diagnostic/recovery tool:

It was initialised as MBR and only had one partition.

Please tell me that it's not unrecoverable, as I had some really cool stuff on there.

:)

Smurof Net, Feb 15, 2017

2. additional harddisc drive

no its a HDD USB it sounds as though its connecting to the computer but doesn't show up in This PC

Regards

Keith

keithwindsor, Feb 15, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Feb 15, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

HDD "Not Initialised"

I think if you go back to Disk Magagement you can right click on it and it will give you the option of initializing it. It may be under other tasks or options.

SoFine409, Feb 15, 2017
  5. That would format it, though, wouldn't it? I don't want to lose what's nearly a terrabyte's data that's on there.

Smurof Net, Feb 15, 2017
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    Yes, your are correct. I was thinking of allocating. Very sorry for the dad abvice. Glad you held off. Don't do anything until another more experienced member stops by. I do think that you will be able to recover all of your data. This is something that I seen here before. It can be fixed and I don't think it's going to be very difficult. Again, I'm sorry for the bad advice.

Take a look at this thread, it may help you fix it HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation..

SoFine409, Feb 16, 2017
  7. clam1952 Win User
    More worrying is that the drive is shown as unknown in device manager, and not shown in SeaTools even knackered drives usually at least show up as identified, I have a feeling if you reboot the PC it will not be picked up by the bios either.
    Just check that the SATA lead hasn't become slightly loose?

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HDD "Not Initialised"

1. HDD "Not Initialised" - Similar Threads - HDD Initialised

2. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  3. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  4. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  6. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  7. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  9. 2nd HDD not seen or initialise (taken from older PC)

2nd HDD not seen or initialise (taken from older PC): My brother has given my mum his sons PC (win10) as he doesn't use it, all been reformatted etc. My mums old computer, a win10, had a spare drive in it, i used it for backups and pulled files from documents etc in to it. went to put the spare drive in the new PC, it's not...
  10. Recover Data on Not Initialised external HDD

Recover Data on Not Initialised external HDD: I replaced the the PCB on a Toshiba 1TB External HDD as the USB connection dislodged, paying careful attention to the part details: https://www.hddzone.com/mq01ubd100-toshiba-pcb-g3448a-p-3446.html. There is about 300GB of data on the disk and was working perfactley....