Windows 10: HDD not recognized in startup, only after reset

Discus and support HDD not recognized in startup, only after reset in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm facing a problem: in the startup one of the HDD is not recognized.. I have to push the reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sotillopower, Oct 6, 2015.

1. HDD not recognized in startup, only after reset

Hello

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm facing a problem: in the startup one of the HDD is not recognized.. I have to push the reset button and when Windows starts again then the HDD is recognized as normal and everyting goes OK.

But I'm getting tired of this routine.. everytime I need to use the computer I have to make the startup twice.

For more details.. I have Windows installed on a SSD HDD, then I have a SATA HDD and a third IDE HDD which is the one with the recognition problem.. I don't understand why the IDE HDD is not recognized in the first startup... Any clues?

Thank you very much

:)

sotillopower, Oct 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Keyboard keys not recognized until after log-in

Hi,

I have same problem.

After I have reinstalled my os win 10 mouse and keyboard not recognized anymore.

I have tried all usb ports, removed second hdd, loaded bios on a default settings, changed ram (swap a slots), tried different mouses (usb mouses only), used one mouse with a ps2 adapter but still nothing.

keyboard works only before win logo on a startup, not after.

Could you send me some ideas and solutions to my e mail please?

Thanks in advance.

SergeyPliskevich, Oct 6, 2015
  3. Can't install W10 on a new SSD on Acer Aspire.

The BIOS can recognize only the saved parameters specific to the hardware, HDD, the OS was initially booted on, so can't recognize a hardware, SSD, that has different parameters.

Paul Goguta, Oct 6, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

HDD not recognized in startup, only after reset

So when you say not recognized it disappears in File Explorer, then reappears on restart ? Always had the drives in there before upgrade ? Few reasons, bad port, bad drive cable, controller issues,HDD issue and hardware drivers. Check Disk management and if can check BIOS to see if it shows there then. Update system drivers from PC manufacturer's web site since the upgrade to 10 ?

jds63, Oct 6, 2015
  5. benedict Win User
    When I installed win10 on a new harddisk and plugged back the old drives, win10 failed to recognize the old harddrives in device manager/explorer/etc. But after 1 or 2 reboots everything is fine. Its probably a bug in win10.

benedict, Oct 6, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Probably a bug in both Windows 8 and 10. How to do you connect your IDE hard disk? Is it an onboard controller on the motherboard or a discreet IDE to PCI or IDE to PCI-E card? After upgrading my Pentium 4 Prescott computer to Core-i3 s1155, there was no IDE slot onboard for my old DVD-ROM drives. So I bought an IDE/SATA to PCI-E card based on JMicron JMB36x chipset. At the time I had Windows 7 installed and everything worked OK. Then I decided to upgrade to the new then Windows 8. I was getting similar problems to you! The card is recognized fine in Device Manager, but my IDE devices make Windows stuck at the boot screen with the spinning dots. If I go into Safe Mode, I can see my IDE DVD-ROMs and use them, but when back to normal startup, I can never get to the desktop! After many fruitless attempts to make it work, I disconnected power from the IDE devices so they are not detected and I can use Windows.

Recently I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I then tried to connect my IDE devices again in hope that Windows 10 would be more compatible. The same thing again! In the past I was told to install latest drivers for JMicron, I have already. I was also told that Nero has something to do with that. Yes, it could work if I uninstall Nero (haven't tried), but I need Nero and I suspect the problem will be there once I reinstall it. So why go through all this trouble? If anyone can provide a solution, is welcome. Not that I need my old DVD-ROMs, I now have a SATA BD-R drive, but I would like to know!

Just a thought: Maybe the IDE drivers included with Windows 8 and 10 have a bug. We could try copying the respective files from a Windows 7 installation and replace them (in safe mode or with a Live CD). That could make IDE devices work...

To original poster: If you use your IDE hard disk only for data (no OS installed) then you can remove it from the PC and connect it to an IDE-to-USB adapter or enclosure. This will essentially make it an external disk. You shouldn't notice any performance differences if you use it through USB and you also have the benefit of taking it to any other computer and share your data. You could even dedicate it for backup and replace it with a new SATA disk if you need a third installed inside your PC.

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    One quick thing you could do if you haven't already done it is try turning of Fast Startup.
    Tutorial here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    It's enabled by default in Win10 and there are many reports of funky behavior, inlcuding like yours, as a result. It doesn;t appear this feature is any more ready for prime time than the Edge Browser, even though it's been around longer.

Word Man, Oct 7, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Thank, you! I'll try that as well. I never thought of this. Windows 7 doesn't have it, hence there was no problem. Windows 8 and 10 do have it...

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD not recognized in startup, only after reset - Similar Threads - HDD recognized startup

2. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Second HDD not recognized.: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop that has a main HDD with Windows 10 Pro, but does not recognize another HDD that's dual-boot with Windows 10 and Linux Lite.I first tried to connect the second drive internally with the cables connected to the DVD drive. It said "Not...
  3. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second HDD not recognized.: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop that has a main HDD with Windows 10 Pro, but does not recognize another HDD that's dual-boot with Windows 10 and Linux Lite.I first tried to connect the second drive internally with the cables connected to the DVD drive. It said "Not...
  4. Second HDD not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HDD not recognized only on my Win10 pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not recognized only on my Win10 pc: Hello everyone, I recently assembled a computer for me with a Ryzen 5 3600, mboard Asus A520M-Plus, GTX-1060 with the latest version of Win10. Every usb peripheral that I’ve connected so far is working but one specific external HDD is not. It’s a WD Passport bought two years...
  6. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  7. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  8. HDD not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not recognized: I have a device that allows exploring HDDs via a UHB hookup. I have several HDDs and have been able to view contents with a device purchased from Cables-to-Go. I don't think that I've used it subsequent to Win 10. Now when I use it it the drives hooked aren't recognized. The...
  9. Portable HDD not recognized

Portable HDD not recognized: I have 2 WD portable HDD's that are not recognized by W10. I plug them into an external Tripp-Lite USB 3.0 that I added as my PC is old and only has USB 2.0 I have never had an issue like this. I used both of these 2Tb portable HDD's for a couple years with zero...
  10. 2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...

2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...: I have a 1.8 GB backup (G) hdd that is showing up in this computer as 260mb (see screen shot) When I opened it up in in Disk Management it diagrams the drive into 2 partitions The first partition is unlabeled and shows as 260mb and the second partition shows as 1863 GB....