Windows 10: hdd not seen

Discus and support hdd not seen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to load win 10 but when I get to the screen "where do you want to install windows" the message "we couldn't find any drives........." and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014.

1. tinmar49 Win User

hdd not seen

I am trying to load win 10 but when I get to the screen "where do you want to install windows" the message "we couldn't find any drives........." and only the "refresh and load driver" buttons are enabled. The load driver button points in the direction of the installation media which is already in the optical drive. I have tried two different hdd's which are both empty and are visible in the bios.

:)

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 11, 2014
  3. Internal HDD not being seen

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed. Appreciate your efforts.

Please get back to us with an outcome in case of any issues, we will guide you accordingly.

Nachappa C K, Oct 11, 2014
  4. Dude Win User

hdd not seen

5. tinmar49 Win User
    I cant think of any way to post screenshots of a partly loaded os except by photographing the screen. I'm posting this on another pc.

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  6. Dude Win User
    Do you have it set as achi in the bios?

7. tinmar49 Win User
    Yes I have achi set in the bios, on this pc I have

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  8. tinmar49 Win User

hdd not seen

Yes I have achi set in the bios, on this pc I have hard power switching to the hdds so I can run XP,7, 8.1 and a switch position where all hdds are powered down. Then I can put a hdd in a permanently powered caddy and run any number of other os's such as Linux. Achi is enabled as 7 and 8.1 use ssd's. I have never had to disable achi to load any os so far.

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  9. Dude Win User
    Okay, you may need to load sata drivers. What is the motherboard in the pc you are trying to install windows 10 in? Your motherboard should have came with a disc. You can put the sata drivers on a usb and use it at the load drivers screen.

Is the hd connected to the first sata port?

10. Dude Win User
    Did not see this when I posted last. Try the USB install using rufus in the clean install tutorial. It will be pretty quick, and may read the hdd.

Edit: added link

Loading Sata drivers

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...s-8-setup.html

11. tinmar49 Win User
    I have only got a dvd so far. I tried putting the iso on a usb stick but it would not boot. I tried switching off achi in the bios to no avail and had exactly the same results on another pc with a uefi bios.

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  12. Dude Win User
    Did you use rufus? Is secure boot disabled?

13. tinmar49 Win User

hdd not seen

My last reply must have gone astray, I am pleased to be sending this via W10 on the second pc. I put the sata drivers on a stick but windows seemed to ignor them but the hdd was recognised. It is a WD re4 500gb split into two partitions and I had to delete them before proceeding. I looked for "secure boot" in the bios but couldn't find it. I don't know what was causing the problem.

tinmar49, Oct 11, 2014
  14. Dude Win User
    *Thumbs Well you made it, glad it installed for you!

15. tinmar49 Win User
    I have just managed to get W10 to load onto my second pc using the dvd. My original choice refuses to load, even using the bootable USB stick made with the help of the tutorial. Now it's on two pc's, I might as well keep them both.

tinmar49, Oct 12, 2014
Thema:

hdd not seen

1. hdd not seen - Similar Threads - hdd

2. can i plug in an old hdd with windows 7 into my windows 11 laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i plug in an old hdd with windows 7 into my windows 11 laptop?: Hi, I have an old pc with windows 7 on it, and I want to clean the hdd. Can i just plug the hdd into my windows 11 laptop and clean all the files on the hdd? The pc itself is too slow to delete all these things, and I cant factory reset it, because i don't have a disk to...
  3. can i plug in an old hdd with windows 7 into my windows 11 laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i plug in an old hdd with windows 7 into my windows 11 laptop?: Hi, I have an old pc with windows 7 on it, and I want to clean the hdd. Can i just plug the hdd into my windows 11 laptop and clean all the files on the hdd? The pc itself is too slow to delete all these things, and I cant factory reset it, because i don't have a disk to...
  4. My PC is win 11, can I still run Win 10 from an external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is win 11, can I still run Win 10 from an external HDD?: Hi,I have a Windows 11 PC that is my main; butI want to attach an external HDD with Win 10 for running my Wacom tablet/stylus.It only runs well on Win 10; incompatible with 11. Wacom has stopped support for Win 11 tooRecently and strangely; Win 11 was able to read and run my...
  5. My PC is win 11, can I still run Win 10 from an external HDD?

My PC is win 11, can I still run Win 10 from an external HDD?: Hi,I have a Windows 11 PC that is my main; butI want to attach an external HDD with Win 10 for running my Wacom tablet/stylus.It only runs well on Win 10; incompatible with 11. Wacom has stopped support for Win 11 tooRecently and strangely; Win 11 was able to read and run my...
  6. C Drive switched to HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive switched to HDD: Hello i need help I accidentally removed the permissions of my C drive which is an SSD and boots up windows. Doing this caused the C Drive to rename my HDD external Hard drive to the C Drive. Now when I boot up my pc it loads the desktop but only a black screen, nothing else....
  7. C Drive switched to HDD

C Drive switched to HDD: Hello i need help I accidentally removed the permissions of my C drive which is an SSD and boots up windows. Doing this caused the C Drive to rename my HDD external Hard drive to the C Drive. Now when I boot up my pc it loads the desktop but only a black screen, nothing else....
  8. ASUS Laptop Windows 11 Home constant BDOS and internal HDD showing as removable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS Laptop Windows 11 Home constant BDOS and internal HDD showing as removable: Hello, I am currently facing an issue with my ASUS Vivobook laptop that is running Windows 11 Home. I am facing constant BDOS and restart issues. In addition, my internal HDD is showing as removable.I believe those issues started creeping up after I updated some drivers...
  9. ASUS Laptop Windows 11 Home constant BDOS and internal HDD showing as removable

ASUS Laptop Windows 11 Home constant BDOS and internal HDD showing as removable: Hello, I am currently facing an issue with my ASUS Vivobook laptop that is running Windows 11 Home. I am facing constant BDOS and restart issues. In addition, my internal HDD is showing as removable.I believe those issues started creeping up after I updated some drivers...
  10. How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer

How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer: Hi there!I just had my desktop that was running on Win 10 I think stop turning on after a roof leak got it very wet. I went into a panic because I had a lot of legal documents on the desktop I know, I know...I just hadn't gotten around to backing them up because I'm an idiot....