Windows 10: HDD not showing up in W10 after moving it from Linux

Discus and support HDD not showing up in W10 after moving it from Linux in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I move two storage drives from my w10 system, to a Linux Zorin system I built. Everything worked fine before the move and while it was in the Zorin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chief400, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Chief400 Win User

HDD not showing up in W10 after moving it from Linux

I move two storage drives from my w10 system, to a Linux Zorin system I built. Everything worked fine before the move and while it was in the Zorin system. I decided to move them back the the w10 system. One of the drives installed automatically and shows up in Explorer. The other drive only shows up in Disk Management. Bios sees it. All indications in Disk Management and Properties are that the disk working correctly. In Disk Management, It is shown as "Health (Active,primary partition)" as does the other drive that I moved back. Oh course, the drive that is not showing up is not assigned a drive letter, nor is it label as "Internal 2000GB." Whenever I right click on the partition field, the only option that is available is"delete volume." When I right click on the "Disk 2" field, the only available option is "Convert to dynamic disk." I have uninstalled/reinstalled the drive, tried to install new driver, physically reattach drive, and gave it a good cussing. But I can't figure it out. Any ideas of why w10 is not letting it work?

:)

Chief400, Nov 8, 2016

2. Microsoft's X-rated Adverts on Games

Yeah, I got this as a gift from my wife. It came with W10 pre-installed. The weekend after it came I replaced it with Linux, and upgraded the RAM (also a voidable action). Then I set up a dual-boot with Linux and Windows 10 Pro (preview build). And then
    around a month later replaced the HDD with an SDD (again voidable). My wife said she expected me to start tinkering on it as soon as I got it. It is my nature.

Michael

MichaelMasters, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Akrinox Win User
    External HDD

Hi!

I got a Samsung M3 Portable 2TB HDD. I'm install the windows 10 (2016 july version from MS.com) and it can't read. My laptop with w8.1 can read and work it perfect. With my linux notebook it work perfect. My kid machine can handle it perfect with w10, but
    it upgraded from win7.

What is the problem? What can i do?

Regards, Adam

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Akrinox, Nov 8, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Use a 3rd party app likeEaseus Partition Masteror Minitool Partition Wizard to assign a drive letter and change the Name of the drive.
    Then go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of the drive (eg) G: and press Enter (eg) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /F and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive.

spunk, Nov 9, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Is there any file system on the HDD.
    If you formatted it with a Linux file system you might need to re-format the volume.

In Windows use as administrator :

Diskpart

List Disk

The HDD should show up

Then say it's HDD 2

SELECT DISK 2
    LIST PARTITION

This should show if there are any partitions on the HDD - if it's a GPT HDD there probably will be a small reserved one and then at least one Primary.

To completely re-format

type Clean
    Create partition Primary

Then you can format it or convert to GPT etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 9, 2016
  6. Chief400 Win User
    Thank you for your response. I tried both softwares you mentioned, however neither one of them have me the option to "add" a drive letter to the disk. So, I don't know.

Chief400, Nov 12, 2016
  7. Chief400 Win User
    Thank you Jimbo45 for your response. I appreciate your help. The disks has three partitions on it. They are;
    Partition 1 Primary 1855gb 1024kb (offset)
    Partition 0 Extended 8189mb 1855gb
    Parttion 2 Logical 8189mb 1855gb

I'm thinking when I put it in the linux system, linux changed something to where w10 can't recognize it.??

Chief400, Nov 12, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

these days there's never any reason to use LOGICAL partitions --more trouble than they are worth --even if you aren't using GPT you can still have 4 Primary partitions. With GPT no limit - although you must then have UEFI boot enabled in BIOS (note you don't have to enable Secure Boot to use UEFI boot).

I'd re-format the HDD - either for UEFI boot or non GPT (MBR) depending on your Windows hardware and what you want to do.

Use the commands I made in previous post.

After re-formatting re-install Windows.

If you have an old Windows backup you could try restore --it won't boot if you've changed from Logical to Primary partitions but sometimes Repair Windows can work.

Linux won't normally destroy Windows boot if you installed on a PRIMARY (or a set of Primary) partition(s) -- using LOGICAL rather than Primary partitions will always (or at least 99.9% of the time) give mega headaches with multiple OS'es on the HDD.

On the logical partition probably GRUB / GRUB2 - the Linux boot manager has got hold of sector 0 on the HDD.

Just get rid of the logical partition and re-enable everything as Primary partitions.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 12, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have data on the hard drive you want to save, boot the computer for a live Linux DVD/USB Flash Drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD not showing up in W10 after moving it from Linux - Similar Threads - HDD showing W10

2. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not showing up: Hi, today suddenly my HDD Seagate 500GB that is connected via USB 3.0 to SATA suddenly disappeared and now I am not able to get it back.Both HDD and SATA adapter are in good condition, when I connect HDD it sounds ok, no loud noise or malfunction but still, no signs of it on...
  3. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not showing up: Hi, today suddenly my HDD Seagate 500GB that is connected via USB 3.0 to SATA suddenly disappeared and now I am not able to get it back.Both HDD and SATA adapter are in good condition, when I connect HDD it sounds ok, no loud noise or malfunction but still, no signs of it on...
  4. HDD not showing up after 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not showing up after 22H2: I have Windows 11 PC with two drives - one SSD for system files and one HDD for media files + desktop. After 22H2 update, HDD is no longer showing up anywhere, only in device manager, Serial ATA Controller driver, which can not be updated. SSD is plugged to NVMe and HDD to...
  5. HDD not showing up after 22H2

HDD not showing up after 22H2: I have Windows 11 PC with two drives - one SSD for system files and one HDD for media files + desktop. After 22H2 update, HDD is no longer showing up anywhere, only in device manager, Serial ATA Controller driver, which can not be updated. SSD is plugged to NVMe and HDD to...
  6. HDD not showing up after BSOD

HDD not showing up after BSOD: Hello AllShort version. My HDD isn't showing up after BSODI came home today and someone in my family had been on my pc. It was on BSOD. I figured it had been there a while and restarted it myself. However when it booted up my hard drive F is missing and obviously the games,...
  7. HDD not showing up after BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not showing up after BSOD: Hello AllShort version. My HDD isn't showing up after BSODI came home today and someone in my family had been on my pc. It was on BSOD. I figured it had been there a while and restarted it myself. However when it booted up my hard drive F is missing and obviously the games,...
  8. HDD not showing up after BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  10. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not showing up: Hi! I recently installed a new hard drive in my computer and it only shows up in device manager. I look at disk manager and it does not show up. Please help!...