Windows 10: HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation.

Discus and support HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a SSD where my operating system is installed. I also have a 3 3TB drives. A 746.52 partition on one of the drives became unallocated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by winstainforth, Jul 31, 2015.

1. HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation.

I have a SSD where my operating system is installed.

I also have a 3 3TB drives.

A 746.52 partition on one of the drives became unallocated after installation of windows 10.

I've managed to recover all the data from the unallocated partition. Would now like to fix the partition.

I think it may be something to do with MBR/GPT?

Here's a screen print from disk management.

HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation. [​IMG]

Any help appreciated.

:)

winstainforth, Jul 31, 2015

2. Unallocated HDD partition has become invisible

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll put up my question there

Ubaid Niaz, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Unallocated HDD partition has become invisible

Guys I used easeUS data recovery software to recover deleted data and upto 500 MB I recovered but since it was a freeware so that's all I could get. Then I found another freeware onwhich there was no such restriction mentioned so I thought let's give it
    a shot. Problem I am facing now is I can't see that unapportioned HDD which is almost 800 gb .. If I use disk management took then I can see that unallocated portion but not in windows explorer, because of which I can't select in the downloaded recovery tool
    and recover remaining data.

can someone pls guide me how to make it visible again - the allocated part of HDD... I haven't made partitions other than c drive because I read once I made partitions I will lose data permanently..

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks

Monarchian, Jul 31, 2015
  4. HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation.

Can you boot with Disc 0 completely disconnected?

I'd guess you can. If so, I don't think you need partition I on disc 0.

You should be able to make disc 0 to behave like disc 2, which is also a 3 TB drive. Disc 0 appears to be initialized as MBR. If you want it do be like disc 2 with a single partition covering the entire 3 TB, you'd need to re-initialize it as GPT, just like disc 2. You'd have to move that data off of the J partition and then delete the J partition to do that. I think there are applications that say they can convert from MBR to GPT without losing data, but I wouldn't trust that. I'd plan to wipe that drive and start over--but you first need to confirm you can boot with disc 0 disconnected.

Was that drive 0 connected when you installed to the SSD? If so, usually a bad idea to have more than 1 drive connected.

ignatzatsonic, Jul 31, 2015
  5. The fatal error was not disconnecting the other HDD, which I usually do. Just got sloppy!

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to find a way to get the unallocated partition working, bought a new 3tb drive today to clear J and start from scratch in case this was a non starter.

Anyone have an idea what caused the problem?

winstainforth, Jul 31, 2015
  6. You can't "get it working" as is. It's not a partition. It's unallocated space. MBR discs aren't going to recognize 3 TB on a disc--only a little over 2 TB.

You can start over with that disc, initializing it as GPT. As I mentioned in my first post.

ignatzatsonic, Aug 1, 2015
  7. bufond Win User
    Were you able to fix it, and how did you recover the data? I am having the same issue and was not sure what to do. I would have sent you a PM but I have less than 5 posts.

bufond, Aug 5, 2015
  8. tcrimsonk Win User

HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation.

tcrimsonk, Aug 25, 2015
  9. galaxor Win User
    I had the exact same problem. running a Seagate HDD with 6TB, 2TB C:/ and 4TB for storage

I spent 2 weeks trying out various recovery programs, popping it into a toaster and seeing if I could pull the data off the unallocated storage onto an external, and even booting into a live USB of Lubuntu but nothing was working.

Then I tried running the seagate tool that came with it and it gave me a flag saying that it needed the Virutal Disk Driver to be installed

I installed the driver, gave the partition a letter and presto, all files and the partition were back good as new!

yup, all that effort for 2 weeks when all that happened was that the upgrade from 7 to 10 deleted a driver.

Here's to hoping my experience will help others especially since this board was a top result when search for answers!

galaxor, Feb 17, 2016
  10. Godfroy Win User
    My machine boots to Windows 10 insiders preview, or Windows 8.1. Windows installations are on separate hard drives. Upon the previous major update to build Windows 10 insiders preview, build 14257, my secondary hard drive popped up as unallocated in Windows 10. Not only that, it couldn't be accessed by diskpart, or other various and sundry partition software out there. It's a 1 TB WD Black hard drive. It was working fine in Windows 10, before the update. In fact when I boot to Windows 8.1 it still works fine and all my data is intact. So. Check your drivers, before you go purchasing new hardware or losing critical data. In my case it was the sata driver for my asus motherboard. Once I installed that. The drive popped back into drive manager as active and healthy. I just had to give it a drive letter, and it was back to normal in Windows 10.

Godfroy, Feb 20, 2016
  11. galaxor Win User
    For me it was because the "virtual driver" for seagate was erased by the upgrade from win7 to win10. Because of that same issue it prevented me from recovering the files even through mini tool recovery and various other programs (even dual booting into linux did nothing). Yes I could see the files in the recovery tools but I couldn't extract them. Of course after I figured out what was going on I simply re-installed the virtual driver which recognized the 3TB partition and then I gave it a drive letter and everything was there, none the worse for wear.

I won't deny, I was one step away from just reformatting it but luckily I didn't because I would've kissed a TB or so of files goodbye, plus knowing what I know now, it wouldn't have resolved the issue.

galaxor, Feb 23, 2016
  12. DanCar Win User
    I scanned my hard drive for 24 hrs with mini-tool! *cry.. before I realized that I only needed to uninstall hard drive driver to let it re-install!! Uggggg!! *Mad All working well now *Smile. (Almost reformatted also *Confused... so. glad. I . didn't .) Thanks!!

DanCar, Oct 1, 2016
  13. r3b3lw0lf Win User

I just got my hands onto a new samsung 500gb ssd 850 evo.
    Thought I would do the smart route this time, and partition the drive... 100gb for windows (when created, it also created a recovery and a MSR (from memory LOL) no clue why.)
    Anyways, no dramas there. installed windows 10 (first time, im used to 7 heaven LOL... not liking 10 all that much yet- I not got touch screen LOL)... I had a look at my drives and the left over was not there... pressed windows button+x and clicked on drive management, and yeah, was there, just black and unallocated space... well I just right clicked and then clicked "new simple volume" and then gave it a drive letter... and bobs your uncle... all good *Smile

Though, like ignatzatsonic said, MBR don't recognize over 2tb or something.

r3b3lw0lf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD Partition becomes unallocated after Windows 10 installation. - Similar Threads - HDD Partition becomes

2. Cannot merge an unallocated partition with Windows install partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot merge an unallocated partition with Windows install partition.: My partitions are in order as followed: 512 MB EFI Partition, 108.04 GB Unallocated Partition, and 129.93 GB NTFS Partition my Windows install partition. It isn't letting me merge the unallocated partition with my Windows install, any solutions?...
  3. Cannot merge an unallocated partition with Windows install partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot merge an unallocated partition with Windows install partition.: My partitions are in order as followed: 512 MB EFI Partition, 108.04 GB Unallocated Partition, and 129.93 GB NTFS Partition my Windows install partition. It isn't letting me merge the unallocated partition with my Windows install, any solutions?...
  4. partition on HDD is showing unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    partition on HDD is showing unallocated: Hello all, I recently upgraded my main HD to a SSD. After i was sure i could boot off my new drive i reformatted my old C: drive. It was previously partitioned, and wanted just one drive for extra storage, so i removed it and was going to try and combine them. After i...
  5. Unallocated Partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Partitions?: does this disk management screen grab look ok? how about the two unallocated partitions in disk 0, can those be merged with c:? if so, is there a benefit? also, under volume it shows "disk 0 partition 2" and "disk 0 partition 5", is there a reason why the partitions numbers...
  6. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

11 partitions on HDD after clean install: I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the...
  7. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    11 partitions on HDD after clean install: I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the...
  8. Removing unallocated Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing unallocated Partition: I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?...
  9. unallocated partition

unallocated partition: Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD. I am certain that in the past there was not such a thing. My question is what might be a possible reason that such a partition develops? 96903
  10. partition became unallocated after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    partition became unallocated after windows 10 update: Apologies if this is posted and/or belongs elsewhere. Interesting start to the weekend with Friday evening booting up my pc to find that Thursdays overnight update had left my partition drive unallocated. Read around for a few hours and found that reinstalling my acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after windows install hdd become mbr

2. win 10 crashed now ssd is unallocated