Windows 10: HDD Partition issues

Discus and support HDD Partition issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I just got this laptop and I don't know what to make of the partition structure. It seems like a lot of wasted space. Here is a picture using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by okrobie, Feb 18, 2016.

1. okrobie Win User

HDD Partition issues

Hi all, I just got this laptop and I don't know what to make of the partition structure. It seems like a lot of wasted space. Here is a picture using Macrium:

HDD Partition issues [​IMG]

What do you all think?

Thanks, Jim

:)

okrobie, Feb 18, 2016

2. second hard drive

The HDD is actually working ok, if I connect the caddy in a USB port the HDD works. Besides, I have a partition running Linux this partition detects and use the second HDD only Windows fails. Also, I connect a different HDD and I have the same issue, then
    is not a HW issue, the problem is in Windows.

AlvaroIzaguirre, Feb 18, 2016
  3. Troubleshooting Bitlocker

Hi,

Is there a way to troubleshoot BitLocker?

I have BitLocker enabled on one of my HDD partitions & all my external HDD too. Off late one of the external HDDs, after entering the password it just hangs. The only option for me is to reboot. The encrypted system partition & rest of the external HDDs
    do not have any issue.

Or is this an issue with that particular HDD?

Vijay.

vijayrchandran, Feb 18, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

HDD Partition issues

Looks like it's had OS upgraded a time or two. Just got it - is it second hand? That can be cleaned up, depending.

Word Man, Feb 18, 2016
  5. okrobie Win User
    Thanks Word Man. Yes, I think it was originally Win 7 and when I got it it was Win 8, and I upgraded it to Win 10 yesterday.
    I can make an image of C:\ and then re-partition it, but I don't know how to re-install the image. Is that the approach you would take? I'm open to other solutions. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 18, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    First, create a usb recovery drive from control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and select to copy recovery partition,

If you are happy to reinstall programs, best option is to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch really, deleting all partitions.

However, should be easy enough to tidy up this. Last partition is an oem recovery partition, so you could just delete all 4 partitions after the c drive from disk management and expand the C drive.

Slightly trickier tidying up before the C drive and not really worth the effort as space used is quite low.

cereberus, Feb 18, 2016
  7. okrobie Win User
    Thanks cereberus, OK, I've created a USB recovery disk and I am willing to re-install Win 10 from an ISO, but what do I do to clean up the partitions. I used to know how to do it in DOS, but I'm sure there are better ways now. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 18, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

HDD Partition issues

Assuming you've already had the backup image of your current Windows 10 OS then it is safe to reconfigure your Windows 10 partition scheme using strictly with Macrium.

• OPTION 1:
      Wipe out the whole disk and do a fresh install to get the first 3 partitions ie. 450MB Recovery, 100 EFI System, 16MB MSR then use Macrium boot disk to replace the fresh install C-Drive with the C-Drive from your Backup.
      OPTION 2:
      To save time re-installing fresh Windows 10 from option 1, you can download the template of the first 3 partitions from here:
      BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip
      Boot from Macrium Rescue disk (USB/DVD), select the template then restore to current Windows drive with the template. Again, within Macrium, select your backup image, copy your C-drive from the backup image.
    • From Macrium, click on "Fix Windows boot problem" then reboot your PC
    Once done. You should have a partition scheme as follows, same as fresh install:
    450MB Recovery
    100MB EFI System
    16MB MSR
    C: Drive

IMPORTANT: The procedure must be done using Macrium Boot Disk since you cannot perform the steps while Windows is running.

To copy C drive from backup: Click on 1 to enable 2, click on 2 to delete C partition from destination if existed. Click on 3 then drag and drop to destination. Click Next->Finish.

HDD Partition issues [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 18, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Your method will work if OP just want to delete the obsolete partitions. However, The partition scheme will not be standard. In addition:
    • You will need to use reagentc to fix the Recovery.
    • Why install Mini Tool when he's already have Macrium installed and can be done in couple of steps
    • Mini Tool will not allow to resize the 128MB MSR partition back to 16MB MSR as standard with Windows 10 installation.
    • With a non standard partition scheme, there's no garantee that it will work for future update/upgrade as seen in so many threads with Windows OEM

With that said. It is up to OP to decide which way he wants to clean up. We only provide the options.

topgundcp, Feb 18, 2016
  11. Word Man Win User
    That promise would be broken if OP deleted their second partition and found that the OS will no longer boot.

Word Man, Feb 23, 2016
  12. okrobie Win User
    Hi everybody, thanks for your interest and support. Well, I wound up using MiniTool and Macrium, but I destroyed my bootability with MiniTool, even though I bought the Pro version. It doesn't really merge partitions unless they are literally side by side. I wound up creating a bootable Win 10 ISO with Rufus and after I manually configured the partitions like topgundcp suggested with Minitool, but I didn't do it right. I didn't use Macrium to it's full potential because I didn't like my backup. Just call me kluge. After I bought MiniTool Pro, I discovered that it's contained for free in WinPE.ISO. Oh well!!!*Mad

okrobie, Feb 23, 2016
  13. okrobie Win User

HDD Partition issues

Oh, please don't worry Teresa. First of all, they are not the same computers. Secondly, I am learning a lot. The one from a few days ago is complete and ready to use. I have been using a very nice WinPE ISO bootable USB stick. It has a tool which allows me to retrieve the Product Key. So there is no harm done if I mess up. I just start over. Back in the early 90's I bought a bunch of junk computers and I learned s much that I got a better job at my work. I'm retired now, but I need a hobby and I think I found it. Back in those days, it took all night to format a 5 Mb drive. I would hope it was finished when I got up. *Smile

Thanks for your interest and concern.

I have been using MiniTool, but I think I will try AOMEI because I'm having issues with MiniTool. I think I'll get my money back. I bought the Pro version for $59.00 and I'm not happy with it. Time to go to bed. Good Night. Jim

P.S. That other thread is marked solved.

okrobie, Feb 28, 2016
  14. okrobie Win User
    AOMEI is much better. It detected and reported bad sectors in the MBR, which MiniTool never mentioned. I sent them a request for a refund. I guess I'll throw a new drive in it today and start over. Regards, Jim

okrobie, Feb 28, 2016
  15. okrobie Win User
    Hi all, It's working. Replacing the HDD cleared up everything. It's now running Win 10 and liking it. There is just one tiny little problem... I have partitioned the drive the way topgundcp suggested, but even though I double checked in both MiniTool and AOMEI that the minor partitions are un-lettered, after it re-boots into Windows 10, drive letters have been assigned. The only problem with that is that the minor partitions then become visible to the user and you never know what kind of mischief they will get into. Thanks for your suggestions. Good morning, Jim

Edit: I tried re-booting immediately back into WinPE and found, with AOMEI, that the drive letters had returned.

okrobie, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

HDD Partition issues

1. HDD Partition issues - Similar Threads - HDD Partition issues

2. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  3. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  4. Formatting multi partition HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting multi partition HDD: Hey I have just removed an 2.5" 500gb hdd from my old broken xbox one. I want to use it as spare portable hdd, for which I have a 3.0 USB HDD case. I would like to format the HDD with windows disk managment or any other HDD mangament tools (like AOMEI Partition Manager) but...
  5. Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator: I am using a 2TB seagate Internal HDD DriveI used (HDD regenerator 2011) in boot media mode, and when i started the 'scan and repair' function , It worked fine for 6-7 hours, and repaired 13,301 bad sectors then out of sudden it stopped at "Device not ready", now my HDD was...
  6. HDD & Partition

HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  7. HDD partition mess

HDD partition mess: Hi, my son has tried to clone his hdd hdd after installing an additional hdd. Now its ill a mess and needs help to clean it up. [IMG] The pc also asks which volume of windows to use on start up. Please be delicate with me as im a complete novice. Any advice will be...
  8. partition on HDD is showing unallocated

partition on HDD is showing unallocated: Hello all, I recently upgraded my main HD to a SSD. After i was sure i could boot off my new drive i reformatted my old C: drive. It was previously partitioned, and wanted just one drive for extra storage, so i removed it and was going to try and combine them. After i...
  9. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  10. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...