Windows 10: HDD space issue

Discus and support HDD space issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just installed a 1TB drive I had and after formatting it (Non quick method) it shows 929GB free of 931GB. Within Storage it says 1.60GB used out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by udidwht, Oct 16, 2016.

1. udidwht Win User

HDD space issue

Just installed a 1TB drive I had and after formatting it (Non quick method) it shows 929GB free of 931GB. Within Storage it says 1.60GB used out of 931GB but opening the drive using explorer it's empty. This is with the options set to show folders/files enabled for the drive.

Clicking on the drive within storage shows under 'System & Reserved' 1.60GB used. Hibernation and System restore is off for all drives except C: and I've made sure there are no shadow copies on all but C:

This normal?

:)

udidwht, Oct 16, 2016

2. Windows 10 Creators Update for systems with less than 8 gigs of free hard drive space

I quite agree with you I bought new asus pc with 23gb hdd with space for another hdd but when I fitted up another hdd, it still will not give me extra space for updates, so I rebuilt my old acer laptop that has250gb hdd, plus space for another hdd as storage.
    don't use the new asus much.

BrianMillerYV, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Joe_Admin Win User
    Does Windows 10 support tiered storage?

Care to post the steps you took to configure the storage space? PowerShell commands issued and in what order?

Joe_Admin, Oct 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member
  5. Bree New Member
    @dalchina your links refer to the 'is it 1024 or 1000?' confusion for disk sizes. But the OP specifically said 'System & Reserved' 1.60GB used. The 'missing' space would appear to be due to there being two partitions on the newly formatted second drive, a similar layout as in this thread...
    A Disk Management screenshot from @udidwht would help us see if that's the case and what (if anything) can be done about it.

6. udidwht Win User
    Neither the Windows disk management shows the drive fully allocated as 931.50.GB after partition of the drive.

udidwht, Oct 16, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Did also set to show hidden system files/folders ?
    "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

CountMike, Oct 17, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

HDD space issue

Hi there

Check also that there's no re-cycle bin files left on the HDD -- ensure in Windows that recycle bin is empty.
    I agree a newly formatted drive shouldn't have any files but sometimes if data has been written and deleted the recycle bin files aren't shown on individual drives.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Windows makes at least couple of folders on all drives it formats.
    $RECYCLE.BIN, .TRASH and possibly System Volume Information. They can only be seen if that option I mentioned before is enabled.

CountMike, Oct 17, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    RolandJS, Oct 17, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Recycle bin properties can turn off it's folder creations on any disk. Than it would delete files without putting them in recycle bin first. Even then you could revive deleted files with special programs unless they are over written.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HDD space issue

1. HDD space issue - Similar Threads - HDD space issue

2. HDD getting out of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD getting out of space: Hi all,I have a 1TB HDD in my Dell desktop and it is getting full. If I replaced it with a 6TB HDD do I have to download all One Drive files again, or I can copy them from the old drive, so I can save download time?Thank you everyone....
  3. OneDrive - HDD Space Consumption Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - HDD Space Consumption Issue: OK....I am techy person....former IT.On my home PC I have Windows 10.....all latest updates....fairly new PC so SUPER clean.I have OD installed and family vids/pic ~350GB have 1TB account.My HDD is 1TB drive.....with the biggest other space consumer my iTunes backups for...
  4. OneDrive - HDD Space Consumption Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - HDD Space Consumption Issue: OK....I am techy person....former IT.On my home PC I have Windows 10.....all latest updates....fairly new PC so SUPER clean.I have OD installed and family vids/pic ~350GB have 1TB account.My HDD is 1TB drive.....with the biggest other space consumer my iTunes backups for...
  5. OneDrive - HDD Space Consumption Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. HDD not showing space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not showing space: So, I recently installed an old HDD into my pc, I used diskpart to clean, repart and format the drive, once I was done and got the validation message, I assigned it the letter H and restarted my pc. After restarting, I check the storage settings page and found that no new...
  7. HDD not showing space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not showing space: So, I recently installed an old HDD into my pc, I used diskpart to clean, repart and format the drive, once I was done and got the validation message, I assigned it the letter H and restarted my pc. After restarting, I check the storage settings page and found that no new...
  8. HDD not showing space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Running out of space on HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running out of space on HDD: I'm not even sure I'm in the right sub, but help me if you can. I neglected my PC organization through college and now I'm running out of space. I've been erasing tons of old files and etc but I noticed that my space somehow gets smaller little by little from time to time. I...
  10. Reclaim space on hdd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reclaim space on hdd: I need to reclaim some space on the hard drive that my Windows 10 is installed on this pc. There is a Windows.old.000 folder (13.2 GB) and a Windows.old folder (9.09 GB). Can I still use Disk Cleanup with Windows 10 to do this, and is it ok to do it? 12190