Windows 10: HDD starts being used by windows instead of my SSD after hibernation

Discus and support HDD starts being used by windows instead of my SSD after hibernation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, i'm having a very annoying problem with my windows installation. My windows is installed in an SSD (when i installed windows i made sure it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017.

1. xlar8or Win User

HDD starts being used by windows instead of my SSD after hibernation

Hello, i'm having a very annoying problem with my windows installation. My windows is installed in an SSD (when i installed windows i made sure it was the only disk connected at the time) but everytime i get back from hibernation (i have a lot stuff opened so it's really helpful to put the pc into this mode) he starts using the HDD for everything windows related which slows down my experience so much i have to restart to get it to work again. This issue makes hibernation not viable and its affecting my productivity. What can i do to fix this?

:)

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 installation on new HDD/SSD

Hi,

I currently own a Windows 7 licence and reserved a free copy of Windows 10. That being said, I recently purchased a new SSD on which I would like to install Windows 10 and then format my HDD currently "hosting" Windows 7 therefore the boot up speed will
    be increased along with other benefices.

What I want to know is if I will be given an .iso file of which I can mount and install directly on my SSD or will I need to install it on my HDD with Windows 7 and then move it to my SSD ? This bothers me because I want a clean fresh start for my OS and
    therefore would like to install it on it right away instead of transferring the files from on HDD to the SSD.

Thanks,

Marc-Olivier

Marc-OlivierTrottier, Dec 11, 2017
  3. Boot Win10 as external Hard Drive

Hi, I've bought a new SSD for replacing my old HDD. In the Old HDD I've Debian and Win10 with dual boot.

In the new SSD I don't want to install Win10, I want to use it via USB; speed isn't an issue to me. I wont be using so much...

When I plug the old HDD via USB, as an external drive, I can boot from it, but Windows fails to start with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something of sort. Debian boots Ok. If I install the HDD in the laptop instead of the SSD it boots Ok.

Is there a way of me making my old HDD to start Windows 10 as and external hard drive?

jcbastosportela, Dec 11, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Sounds like you have windows installed on both drives. What does it show for partition info when you use Speccy and Computer Management for Disk Info.

bro67, Dec 11, 2017
  5. xlar8or Win User
    I've added the Speccy info and Disk info as an attachment.

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017
  6. Wynona Win User
    The first thing that popped into my mind is that the drives may be connected wrong.

When you added the SSD, did you plug it into an open SATA connector, or did you unplug the original HDD and plug the SSD into its place?

On my motherboard, I have SATA 0, SATA 1, SATA 2, and SATA 3. Ideally, the SSD should be plugged into SATA 0 and the HDD should be plugged into SATA 1.

Of course, this is just a WAG . . . It could be that Windows was previously installed on your HDD and, for whatever reason, is reverting to that when waking up from hibernation.

Wynona, Dec 11, 2017
  7. xlar8or Win User
    I think my SSD is installed in SATA port 7 and HDD in SATA port 8. I believe i've never installed windows on the HDD, but it might be because of the SATA port configuration.

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017
  8. Wynona Win User

Changing the SATA ports to 0 and 1 is worth a try. Is there anything on ports 0 and 1?

Also, you might try clicking on Start>File Explorer: Then under This PC, click on each individual drive letter:

HDD starts being used by windows instead of my SSD after hibernation [​IMG]

These are mine; just ignore the External drive and a USB Drive that are also connected (or any you might have connected).

C:\ should show something like this, which lets you know Windows is installed on it:

D:\ should show something like this if you have Windows installed; however, since it's not the active drive, it won't show the same as C:\ did.

Note the last two lines . . . those show me that I have Windows installed. Note: My system is dual boot.

I hope I haven't "talked down" to you, since I don't know how experienced you are. *Smile

Wynona, Dec 11, 2017
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Clearly, Disk Mgmt shows Disk 0 as the boot drive. If that's not what you want from your system, a boot repair may be called for. You could disconnect Disk 0, then boot from a repair disk or a bootable install disk for your current Win10 version from Disk 1. Then you can run the disk repair operations and see if that fixes things so you boot from Disk 1 (which lacks the necessary EFI and boot-up partitions at present, but these should be created as part of your boot/startup repair operations).

OTOH, I've personally had great luck with boot/startup repairs using the Macrium rescue disk and electing its "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. Good info on this at v5: How to fix Windows boot problems (Restore, Windows PE)

If that doesn't work, Dell has a nice tutorial on how to rebuild the entire boot environment from scratch: How to repair the EFI bootloader on a GPT HDD for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on your Dell PC | Dell US
    HTH,
    --Ed-

EdTittel, Dec 11, 2017
  10. xlar8or Win User
    Disk 0 is the SSD so that's fine, i don't know why windows uses Disk 1 after hibernation.

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017
  11. Wynona Win User
    Did you check to see if Disk 1 (the HDD) has Windows installed on it? If you've changed the connections to Disk 0 and 1 and it's still doing it, then you need to investigate what's on the second disk (HDD).

Wynona, Dec 11, 2017
  12. xlar8or Win User
    Yes i checked, no windows folders whatsoever in Disk 1 and i've always installed my windows in SSD.

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017
  13. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, xlar80r !

You say that, upon resuming from hibernation, your D: drive (HDD, Disk1) starts doing everything Windows related.

What convinces you that the HDD is doing everything Windows related?

I see you have your pagefile on the HDD. Is your (maybe hidden) hiberfil.sys, the hibernation data file, on C: or on D: ? You may have to go into File Explorer view options to show both hidden & system files. [ Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 - see both steps 4 & 5 in particular]

Word Man, Dec 11, 2017
  14. xlar8or Win User
    Hey Word Man, thank you *Smile I'm pretty sure my HDD is doing Windows stuff because everything gets so slow and when i do windows tasks the HDD gets to 100 % usage and the SSD is 0 %. I have the hiberfil.sys in C:\ taking 6.6 GB and i have pagefile.sys in D:\ taking 18.8 GB.

xlar8or, Dec 11, 2017
  15. Word Man Win User
    OK, xlar8tor, understood.

Just a couple things as preliminary,

- that pagefile looks pretty big at 18.8 GB. Is that a custom size you have set or is that Windows managed? How much physical RAM do you have?
    - I see your OS partition on the SSD is like 91% full which, unless I'm way out of date, seems a bit tight for an OS drive, especially an SSD. Any chance you can move more to the D: drive? I ask because I wonder if you would see a change in this behavior if you moved your page file to the SSD.
    - Have you recently taken the Fall Creator's Update. "winver" from a command prompt or Windows power shell will give your exact current version.

It also would be helpful to all potential helpers if you filled out the "My Computer" section as thoroughly as possible. You can follow this tutorial if need be: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

Word Man, Dec 11, 2017
Thema:

1. HDD starts being used by windows instead of my SSD after hibernation - Similar Threads - HDD starts being

2. change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd: want to boot from a ssd that is labeled C: but win 11 always boots from F: which is an HDD; cannot change in UEFI on mobo and when I try to change uefi boot order get error message that cannot find files; as of now have win 11 installed in both C and F but win boot manager...
  3. change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd: want to boot from a ssd that is labeled C: but win 11 always boots from F: which is an HDD; cannot change in UEFI on mobo and when I try to change uefi boot order get error message that cannot find files; as of now have win 11 installed in both C and F but win boot manager...
  4. I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD: I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD Since I have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, However it seemed to be using the SSD instead of HDD as it's primary Drive. Recently it has been using the HDD and therefore crashing. Not sure what to do to make it...
  5. I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD: I'm Using Unreal Engine 5, It was Installed on HDD instead of my SSD Since I have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, However it seemed to be using the SSD instead of HDD as it's primary Drive. Recently it has been using the HDD and therefore crashing. Not sure what to do to make it...
  6. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  7. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd: Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to somewhere without asking, it saves to my ssd. please help me....
  8. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD: Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the...
  9. Using SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...
  10. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?: Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD. I'm not really a tech wiz but...