Windows 10: hdd to ssd on new computer

Discus and support hdd to ssd on new computer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by chasemcdonald1, Jul 15, 2018.

1. hdd to ssd on new computer

Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already

what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method a good idea or okay because ssd is a lot quiker if you have the full set up please let me know

1. change hdd to ssd and the 240 ssd to 1tb ssd

2 reinstall windows

3 i dont need anything cloned or saved

so let me know if this will work

:)

chasemcdonald1, Jul 15, 2018

2. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Jul 15, 2018
  3. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Jul 15, 2018
  4. hdd to ssd on new computer

SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Both options you gave concern re-installing applications.

Option I suggest: if the space taken up (used) on your current hard disk drive is LESS than the the space you will have available on your new SSD (formatted size), utilize some third party partitioning tool to shrink the partition to minimal size (under
    the size of the SSD) and then use another tool to make an image of that partition or clone that partition onto the SSD and then take out the HDD and see if everything is working properly on your SSD. Once you have determined that, if you want the extra space
    the HDD will grant you, put it back in and format it /use it.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

hdd to ssd on new computer

1. hdd to ssd on new computer - Similar Threads - hdd ssd computer

2. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  3. SSD failed, recovered files - need to move from WindowsApps on SSD to new computer HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD failed, recovered files - need to move from WindowsApps on SSD to new computer HDD.: My computer hard disk failed. I am trying to recover files from that drive. I need to move a file from WindowsApps on that drive to a new drive on my new laptop. I am running into problems with permissions even though I have taken possession of the container... it still says...
  4. connect hdd ssd to computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    connect hdd ssd to computer: computer: computer has a hdd item: a 2nd hdd how: to connect a 2nd hdd externally to a computer ? needs: what do you need? like what cable? everything else what do you need? pls link what is needed on amazon so we can understand what is needed this is item, a regular...
  5. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer: My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer. I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS to the new ssd and remove the hdd after this has been done. Can I just copy the files or...
  6. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  7. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...
  8. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  9. ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?: Hey everyone, Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop at home (main computer), and it has two 2.5" driver bays. Could i install my current dell HDD and the new SSD into the clevo...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i buy my pc it says the if came with 240 gb of ssd 2tb of hdd storage