Windows 10: HDD v SSD boot speed.

Discus and support HDD v SSD boot speed. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I bought my new laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 310 ( i3 2.2mh with 8gb ddr4), I brought the 1tb Seagate up to date, removed it and fitted a 500gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tinmar49, Feb 27, 2017.

1. tinmar49 Win User

HDD v SSD boot speed.

When I bought my new laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 310 ( i3 2.2mh with 8gb ddr4), I brought the 1tb Seagate up to date, removed it and fitted a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO which received a clean install of W10hp 64.
    Using Mini tool partition wizard, I have just cloned the drive using a WD Scorpio Black (7200 rpm).
    I ran the WD a couple of times to make sure it was ok and made a note of the time to desktop including the password, it was slow, 62 seconds.
    After refitting the Samsung, I timed the boot time, 19 seconds.
    *Smile
    I take 8 seconds to type in the password.

:)

tinmar49, Feb 27, 2017

2. Boot Win10 as external Hard Drive

Hi, I've bought a new SSD for replacing my old HDD. In the Old HDD I've Debian and Win10 with dual boot.

In the new SSD I don't want to install Win10, I want to use it via USB; speed isn't an issue to me. I wont be using so much...

When I plug the old HDD via USB, as an external drive, I can boot from it, but Windows fails to start with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something of sort. Debian boots Ok. If I install the HDD in the laptop instead of the SSD it boots Ok.

Is there a way of me making my old HDD to start Windows 10 as and external hard drive?

jcbastosportela, Feb 27, 2017
  3. Joe9090 Win User
    Windows 10 does not seem to be allocating quad-core processors for multi-tasking.

If you are using a HDD then this is definitely part of the issue. If you are transferring data , irrelevant to what you are transferring - you are still limited to the speed of HDD . If using a HDD still then do yourself a favour and get an SSD

SSD storage offers several times faster data throughput speed . You will expericence a significant speed in OS operations

Joe9090, Feb 27, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

HDD v SSD boot speed.

That sounds about right. I recommend Autoruns to check/disable any 'bloatware' programs / services / tasks which may be loading at boot and further improve your boot time.

Steve C, Feb 28, 2017
  5. anonjwm Win User
    I had the Asus Zenbook Pro.. It had the PCI Express SSD man that thing was fast. With windows settings tweaked it would go from full shutdown to login screen in like a second. I wish the machine I have right now would do that lol

anonjwm, Feb 28, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    Can't say that is very impressive, very disappointing. My Laptop Windows 10 with a standard Laptop 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD does that in 25 secs. Previously with Windows 8.1 it was 14 secs, and that was with the manufacturers additions still present.

Helmut, Feb 28, 2017
  7. beepclick Win User
    i bought win8 pro the day it became available and upgraded my (then new) HP envy14 7core machine. after the install was complete it could boot in under 8 seconds.
    One month later it forgot how to do it. and it never happened again. not even with my new laptop and win10

beepclick, Feb 28, 2017
  8. tinmar49 Win User

HDD v SSD boot speed.

Don't forget , it would take 11 seconds to boot if I didn't bother with the password.

tinmar49, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

HDD v SSD boot speed.

1. HDD v SSD boot speed. - Similar Threads - HDD SSD boot

2. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  3. HDD speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD speed: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this?This was asked back in 2018 and your reply Nikhar Khare was to explain how to view disk performance. Not an answer to the question.Do you have a helpful reply to: "Has MS solved...
  4. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  5. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  6. HDD Required to boot SSD

7. Speed of HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  8. Speed of HDD

Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  9. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  10. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...