Windows 10: HDD wont stop spinning

Discus and support HDD wont stop spinning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed in the SSD, while I use the HDD as storage, there are just files there. I also set power to turn off HDD at 3 minutes if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Catizero, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Catizero Win User

HDD wont stop spinning

I have Windows 10 installed in the SSD, while I use the HDD as storage, there are just files there. I also set power to turn off HDD at 3 minutes if idle. The problem is that the HDD wont stop ever spinning.

In Windows 7 I had this same configuration and HDD stopped spinning properly at 3 minutes. I dont have any problem that is accessing the HDD, in fact i even have less programs now since I formatted a few days ago.

Indexing is also disabled in the HDD by default, its only enabled in the SSD.

Could you help me, please?

EDIT: I disabled the Windows Search service and also removed Cortana (SearchUI.exe) but the HDD wont stop spinning.

:)

Catizero, Oct 8, 2016
  2. vrniko Win User

HDD wont stop spinning

I have Windows 10 installed in an SSD and the HDD is used for storage only. I disabled windows search and cortana but it doesnt work. Indexing is disabled by default in the HDD, but not in the SSD, though I disabled it there too. The HDD isnt working at
    100% but the resource manager says 0.1% every few seconds in the svchost service.

I think important to say that I didnt have this problem with Windows 7, just with Windows 10 since I upgraded to it a few days ago. HDD is set to shut down after 3 minutes of being idle, though I have it for now after 1 minute of being idle to test and it
    never stops spinning.

I used the program OpenedFilesView and these are the files opened in the the HDD (D: drive), all by the system and I dont know why or how to make it to stop opening these files:

==================================================

Filename : tracking.log

Full Path : D:\System Volume Information\tracking.log

Process Path : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Process Name : svchost.exe

Process ID : 352

Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000004

Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000004

Process Path :

Process Name : System Process

Process ID : 4

Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000003

Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000003

Process Path :

Filename : $TxfLog.blf

Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf

Process Path :

Filename : $Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION

Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION

Process Path :

Filename : $ObjId

Full Path : D:\$Extend\$ObjId

Process Path : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Process Name : svchost.exe

Process ID : 352

I even tried to disable the HDD using the device manager and it wont stop spinning either. In this case the OpenedFilesView doesnt show any in D: but shows these files opened, which I have no idea what they are or if they are the problem:

Filename : $Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION

Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION

Process Path :

Filename : $TxfLog.blf

Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf

Process Path :

Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001

Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001

Process Path :

Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000002

Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000002

Process Path :

Filename : BCD

Full Path : \Boot\BCD

Process Path :

Filename : BCD.LOG

Full Path : \Boot\BCD.LOG

Process Path :

vrniko, Oct 8, 2016
  3. vrniko Win User
    HDD wont stop spinning

I think I found the solution. My guess is that it was the Intel Rapid Storage Technology which caused this. I switched the driver in the device manager (ATA/ATAPI IDE drivers) to the Windows default one and also uninstalled the RST program and service.

vrniko, Oct 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

HDD wont stop spinning

Hi, if you've specified in Indexing Options that Windows search should not index your HDD, it won't. (Cortana simply uses what's indexed - and only that- when searching for files and folders - it doesn't build a separate index of them).

One way to find out what if anything is accessing you HDD is to use Sysinternals Procmon (free, just search for it). This will capture every event as a lengthy list, which you can filter or scan for occurrences of a drive letter which applies to your HDD. Thus you can find which processes - if any- are using your drive.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  5. Catizero Win User
    I used the program OpenedFilesView and these are the files opened in the the HDD (D: drive), all by the system and I dont know why or how to make it to stop opening these files:

Code: ================================================== Filename : tracking.log Full Path : D:\System Volume Information\tracking.log Process Path : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe Process Name : svchost.exe Process ID : 352 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000004 Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000004 Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000003 Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000003 Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLog.blf Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION Full Path : D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $ObjId Full Path : D:\$Extend\$ObjId Process Path : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe Process Name : svchost.exe Process ID : 352 ==================================================[/quote]
    I even tried to disable the HDD using the device manager and it wont stop spinning either. In this case the OpenedFilesView doesnt show any in D: but shows these files opened, which I have no idea what they are or if they are the problem:

Code: ================================================== Filename : $Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLog.blf Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001 Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001 Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000002 Full Path : \$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000002 Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : BCD Full Path : \Boot\BCD Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ================================================== ================================================== Filename : BCD.LOG Full Path : \Boot\BCD.LOG Process Path : Process Name : System Process Process ID : 4 ==================================================[/quote]

Catizero, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HDD wont stop spinning

1. HDD wont stop spinning - Similar Threads - HDD wont stop

2. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  3. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  4. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hardisk Wont Spin Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardisk Wont Spin Down: hi,so ive had problems.so my 4TB and 8TB HDD to the Laptop through USB 3.0 ,was unable to Spin down using my old server laptop,but when im trying it using my primary laptop it does spin down and get into sleeping mode while im setting the APM in CrystalDiskInfo.what do i do...
  6. Hardisk Wont Spin Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardisk Wont Spin Down: hi,so ive had problems.so my 4TB and 8TB HDD to the Laptop through USB 3.0 ,was unable to Spin down using my old server laptop,but when im trying it using my primary laptop it does spin down and get into sleeping mode while im setting the APM in CrystalDiskInfo.what do i do...
  7. Hardisk Wont Spin Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardisk Wont Spin Down: hi,so ive had problems.so my al lot of 4TB and 8TB HDD to the Laptop through USB 3.0 ,was unable to Spin down using my old server laptop,but when im trying it using my primary laptop it does spin down and get into sleeping mode while im setting the APM in CrystalDiskInfo.what...
  8. How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use: Hi. I did a clean windows 10 install a month ago. I have SSD as primary drive and two additional HDD-s where I keep my pictures, videos, backups etc. I have set to turn off HDD-s after 10 minutes of idle but the HDD-s never stop spinning. If I set to turn off HDD-s ater 1...
  9. HDD spins and stops continously.... while display is off (Laptop is not on sleep or hibernate)

HDD spins and stops continously.... while display is off (Laptop is not on sleep or hibernate): when my laptop display turns off (only screen timeout, not in sleep or hibernate mode). HDD spins and stops and then suddenly starts again... I can identify it with the help of the sound of the HDD (I'm not talking about the sound of writer in HDD, but the HDD actually spins...
  10. New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter

New HDD not spinning up with USB adapter: I need to clone a hard drive. Got the new drive, a wD. What I usually fo is plug the new drive into a different PC and using a USB adapter, I format the drive. I can't get the drive to spin up. This is the second new WD drive I got, thought the problem was the drive. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdd spins and stops when laptop is sleeping

2. hdd wont stop spinning win10

3. $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000003

4. $TxfLogContainer00000000000000000004,
  5. stop spinning hdd,
  6. wd hard drive is spinning and wont stop