Windows 10: HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

Discus and support HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; It will probably be a long time before I can afford this thing but it looks pretty exciting. Looking at it's setup made me wonder. Part of the setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Scottyboy99, Apr 3, 2016.

1. HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

It will probably be a long time before I can afford this thing but it looks pretty exciting. Looking at it's setup made me wonder. Part of the setup requires a HDMI out or DVI output from your PC. Fair enough. But on my Nvidia 980ti GPU I already use the HDMI out to connect to my monitor. It's very hard to get round the back of my PC but from memory there is another DVI port and three other ports that I have no clue what they are (DP? They look like HDMI but slightly different shape). Anyway, I just wondered if the Rift can plug into the empty DVI and at the same time my monitor can remain connected to the HDMI output. If I had the Occulus Rift the last thing I'd want to do is have to go round the back of the PC everytime to unplug the HDMI that goes into the monitor and put the Rift into it's place or in the DVI port because the cannot be concurrently connected.

Another thing that isn't clear to me, despite googling the FAQs and topics, is can Occulus Rift view older games or even the actual desktop? In other words, does the computer screen get replicated through the headset? Obviously I know it wouldn't be 3d or optimised but just wondered.

I also wonder if the thing will demand the very latest GPU drivers. I still use Nvidia drivers from around September time as I really dislike updating them unless there is a compelling need to do so. I read enough horror stories on the Nvidia forums about their latest releases causing all manner of grief for some people. I like the 'if it ain't broker don't fix it approach' so leave them well alone.

Cheers,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Apr 3, 2016

2. Displays

To my complete and total delight, my uncle helped me solve this problem. I have an Oculus RIft which turned out to be the source of the problem. He got an HDMI to DP adapter and a DVI cable for my 2 monitors while plugging my Oculus into the HDMI port.
    This fixed everything.

Max Hilton, Apr 3, 2016
  3. what is vulkaninfo32

It is part of the Vulkan driver set for Nvidia GPUs that support the new 3D displays, such as HTC Vive and Occulus Rift.

If you wish to know more about it, visit Nvidia.com. Exciting things are coming along in 3D entertainment.

DanielTurner, Apr 3, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

I don't own an Oculus Rift, or plan to buy one anytime soon.

The additional outputs on your 980ti are indeed Displayport. I imagine that you could use a DP to HDMI adapter (passive, cheap) to support the Rift.

I have no idea whether the device is set up to allow you to view the Windows Desktop. It is spec'd at 2160 X 1200 pixels, higher than your monitor. It's an OLED as well, so it sounds like it may give a rather pretty view. I doubt that I'd care to use it for non-gaming tasks: the 110° field of view would put the image (effectively) too close to my face. I'm also not a touch typist, so I'd want to glimpse the keyboard from time to time.

bobkn, Apr 3, 2016
  5. Cheers, they were just speculative questions really. The FAQs across the net seem to be pretty generic. I'm not even sure if I'd buy one. I certainly wouldn't want to use the desktop with one on. But it was more if you were gaming on one then quickly quit the game and wanted to check something quickly and then go back in or do another rift game, that you could do it all without unplugging the rift or removing the headset. I guess as time goes by and more people use them these kinds of things will get explained better on the net

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

1. HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions - Similar Threads - HDMI DVI Occulus

2. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  3. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  4. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVI to HDMI adapter?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DVI to HDMI adapter?: My new desktop came today and my monitor has a 9 pin plug (I believe that it’s an hdmi port? the monitor is an HP, model LV2311) the desk top has hdmi or dvi ports only. Is it best to get a dvi to hdmi adapter and use a hdmi cable, or get a dvi cable and skip the adapter.?
  6. hdmi to dual dvi

hdmi to dual dvi: my windows 10 does not recognize the second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-to-dual-dvi/45536e2d-2f17-4ad8-bf9f-7451f367f4e4
  7. occulus rift

occulus rift: why will my laptop not recognise my occulus headset ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/occulus-rift/96dd310a-d1b3-47e0-9181-1fdc83a5f33f
  8. HDMI to DVI converter?

HDMI to DVI converter?: my laptop display runs at 1920x1080 at 60hz refresh rate. i wanted to buy an external moniter for a bigger screen. my laptop only has 1 hdmi port and no dvi. i want the benefits of dvi as it can increase refresh rate according to the external monitor by using a hdmi to dvi...
  9. HDMI and DVI

HDMI and DVI: On PC monitors is the image better on a "HDMI" then a "DVI" connection? 44960
  10. HDMI inferior to DVI?

HDMI inferior to DVI?: I thought that a graphics card with both outputs would run the same resolutions from each. My HIS Radeon 5670 iceq has a max of 2560X1600 through DVI, the HIS spec's don't give a figure for the HDMI. The AMD site gives 2560X1600 for DVI and 1920X1200 for HDMI. I've been...