Windows 10: Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?

Discus and support Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I was listening to music today and suddenly I could hear only with one ear. Weird thing is that no matter what I did, I still couldn't fix it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by doriandiaconu, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?

So I was listening to music today and suddenly I could hear only with one ear.

Weird thing is that no matter what I did, I still couldn't fix it. Tried with another headphones pair, nothing.

I used my "broken" pair on my Xperia Z3 Compact phone and everything works fine.

I'm on the Insider Preview Build 6281 (fast ring). I'm using a Lenovo Laptop Z50-70 and I'm assuming I'm using the latest Conexant HD drivers are they get updated on every insider preview build.

Has anyone had similar issues?

When I'm using just the speakers they work in stereo.

EDIT: Apparently the issue persists when booting Ubuntu as well so it's hardware related.

EDIT2: If I plug only 3/4 of the headphone jack inside both headphones are working. But this is not a viable solution. It can fall at anytime.

:)

doriandiaconu, Sep 10, 2017
  2. woopepos Win User

Earphones with mic as Microphone Dell xps 8500

Hello,

I was wondering how to use my headphones as a microphone on this computer. To clarify, they are regular headphones with a mic attached called symphonized NRG headphones. The mic works on my laptop which only has one audio jack. However, the dell xps 3500
    has two, one for audio and one for microphone. When I plug it into audio, sound plays from the headphones, but it will not work as a microphone. When plugged into microphone, it recognizes that something is plugged in, but the microphone will not work. I
    have windows 10 installed.

woopepos, Sep 10, 2017
  3. Restore laptop speakers & headphones jack function I had in windows 7

I accepted free windows 10 upgrade offer and when I was able again to use my laptop (Toshiba Sat. C655) after the install, my speakers ,headphones and headphone jack were inactive. Now I can only set one at a time as default to
    have audio output so when I plug in my headphones the speakers don't go off and there is no audio feed to the headphones. How does one fix this issue?

RonaldStein, Sep 10, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?

Can you confirm which type of headphone plug you are using? Your laptop socket may have got damaged and it could be sensitive to the position of the plug.

Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece? [​IMG]

It really should not matter which type of plug you have but my guess is it is going too far inside the socket and the tip is no longer making contact, your left earpiece will be silent.

philc43, Sep 10, 2017
  5. The one on the left.

I'll try to open the laptop and see what's happening.

doriandiaconu, Sep 10, 2017
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    This sounds like the jack itself may have shorted. Basically pushing in the jack partially allows both cups to play indicates this may be a left or right only signal. You can check this by balancing to either left or right with the headphones plugged in to see which side isn't getting a signal.

That said, have you indeed checked the balance to see if that in and of itself isn't a problem? If the balance is good, and you still have the issue, than yeah, the headphone jack on the laptop may have good bad. You'll have to get with Lenovo for a repair if that's the case.

You can check the balance through either the program or speaker settings - Right click the speaker icon, choose Playback devices, right click the audio source you're using and click Properties, click the Levels tab, and click Balance. All leveled?

Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece? [​IMG]

sygnus21, Sep 10, 2017
  7. Levels are both at 100%.

I'll have a hard time opening the laptop since the screws were overused. I'll have to break them down somehow.

doriandiaconu, Sep 11, 2017
  8. sygnus21 Win User

OK. And good luck getting into the case and finding the issue.

Peace.

sygnus21, Sep 11, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    The TRRS plug (left in picture) usually will not work on a PC, as its "Normally" looking for a TRS (right in picture) plug.
    The TRRS plug will work in an iPhone and many other smart phones and some gaming consoles.

If you are using a TRRS, and adapter is needed to convert it to a TRS. This is "usually" the problem.
    Here is a sample of the adapter needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rode-SC3-3-5m...to+trs+adaptor

fireberd, Sep 12, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    Yeah, the OP definitely needs to be using the TRS plug on the right. If not, that's probably the big culprit.

Edit: Actually both would work just fine seeing the R/L channels are in the same place. You just have the extra channel for the mic.

sygnus21, Sep 12, 2017
  11. Yep both work fine.

I disassembled the laptop and I didn't notice anything unusual. I think I just have to change the headphone jack. Can anyone tell me if it's a general jack or it's different from one laptop to another?

doriandiaconu, Sep 12, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    I'm not aware of any laptop using a proprietary audio headphone jack, especially HP. with that, I'm 99.9999999 percent sure it's a standard (general) jack.

And should have mentioned this earlier, but yes, headphone jacks (on the headphone side) can go bad. Had this happen on a pair of Audio-Technica M50 headphones where the phones sounded like they were under water. Replaced the jack and all is good now.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece? - Similar Threads - Headphones issue laptop

2. Issue with Laptop Speaker - Audio Only Works with Headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Laptop Speaker - Audio Only Works with Headphones: The speakers on my laptop have stopped functioning, and I can only hear audio when using headphones.I have already attempted to troubleshoot this problem by updating and reinstalling the audio driver, but unfortunately, the issue persists. Despite my efforts, the laptop...
  3. Issue with Laptop Speaker - Audio Only Works with Headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Laptop Speaker - Audio Only Works with Headphones: The speakers on my laptop have stopped functioning, and I can only hear audio when using headphones.I have already attempted to troubleshoot this problem by updating and reinstalling the audio driver, but unfortunately, the issue persists. Despite my efforts, the laptop...
  4. Can only hear audio from one headphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can only hear audio from one headphone: Hello!I am trying to figure out if the issue I am having is hardware or software related.So for a few days now audio has only been playing from my left speaker ,I checked to see if mono audio is on ,and it wasn't.I also checked if the headphones are balanced and they seem to...
  5. Can only hear audio from one headphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can only hear audio from one headphone: Hello!I am trying to figure out if the issue I am having is hardware or software related.So for a few days now audio has only been playing from my left speaker ,I checked to see if mono audio is on ,and it wasn't.I also checked if the headphones are balanced and they seem to...
  6. Can only hear audio from one headphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headphone audio from one side only, not mono

Headphone audio from one side only, not mono: So, I do not know what is the problem, my computer is completely up to date, with every driver also updated. I checked if the sound was on zero in the levels tab, i checked if it was in mono, i cleaned my headphone jack on the laptop, but sound is still only coming from one...
  8. Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone

Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone: I just got a new desktop and when I plug in my earpiece with a built in mic or my sony wh1000xm3 using a cable, a popup from realtek audio comes up asking whether a plugged it a 'line in/headset/microphone'. When choosing headset option, there is audio through the device but...
  9. Audio issues only through headphones.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio issues only through headphones.: So, since the horrendous may update, I suddenly have issues with headphones only. If I hook up through bluetooth, through a USB port, or through my audio jack, windows plays my audio fine sometimes, but other times it causes issues. If I attempt to record it, the audio issues...
  10. Laptop will only play with bluetooth headphones/earbuds and will not play audio from...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop will only play with bluetooth headphones/earbuds and will not play audio from...: Laptop will only play with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds and will not play audio from computer or any headphones that are plugged in. I really need help, this has been persistent for about 2 months. I have also tried playing audio and it either crashes or it just doesn't play....