Windows 10: hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...

Discus and support hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; title please help im courious to know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by OTUTP, Nov 29, 2023.

1. OTUTP Win User

hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...

title please help im courious to know

:)

OTUTP, Nov 29, 2023

2. TPM 2.0 with AMD fTPM bios setting enabled on Asus x570 mobo

Thanks for comments everyone.
    I tested my PC with TPM 2.0 enabled for 8 hours with no issues. I have however changed the fTPM setting back to discrete in the bios in the meantime.

Marcus Vinicus, Nov 29, 2023
  3. TPM flutter. fTPM and Ryzen 5, 3600 Processor, B550 motherboard.

Hi everyone

This is for information only as finally resolved. Windows 11 started out fine with no local security problems and the device meeting requirements for enhanced security. Updates changed this for many of us until Microsoft sorted things. My pc however continued to wander between enhanced security and not meeting requirements due to the TPM frequently not showing in security centre as equipped or attestation/ storage issues.

I installed a discrete TPM a long time ago ( windows 10 ) and in error enabled fTPM in BIOS. This I now know without me realising resulted in windows using the fTPM which exists within the Ryzen 5 CPU instead of the TPM I installed. All ok until windows 11 updates brought my error to light. TPM jitter affected the internal fTPM and continued to do so. I have spent a long time trying to understand why. PC fully up to date so no missing updates to the TPM or drivers.

The fTPM when detected showed AMD, manufacturer version 3.87.0.5, Spec version 2.0, PPI spec version 1.3, TPM sub version 1.38 and pc client version 1.05.

Having moved to the real TPM the security processor now consistently shows Infinion (IFX) with manufacturer version 5.63.3353.0, spec version 2.0 and is stable.

Lesson learned. If anyone has similar be aware that to put this right you MUST have the recovery code for your hard drive as changes to BIOS will require the code and immediate access to email or text to verify your microsoft account when you try to log in afterwards.

Graham_707, Nov 29, 2023
  4. Balahoth Win User

hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...

"Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning! PTT/Discrete TPM will be disabled and all data saved on it will be lost."

Hello,

I have been having trouble with upgrading to Win11. It says that I don't have TPM 2.0 enabled and I have to enable it from my BIOS.

I have a few questions:

1. If my TPM device selection settings (at Advanced -> PCH-FW Configuration) have always been on "Discrete TPM", will changing it to "Firmware TPM" actually change anything?

2. What is BitLocker? I keep seeing it mentioned in the TPM discussions and I don't know if I have it enabled or not, how can I know if I am using BitLocker? If my TPM had been disabled all this time does that mean I couldn't even use BitLocker at all?

3. What is SkuMgr?

4. Will anything significant happen to my computer? I'm literally only trying to enable it for Win11. Will it encrypt my data? Will I lose any data?

Any help will be appreciated, and sorry if my questions are probably stupid, I'm new to this.

For clarification - my PC is custom built, if that changes anything.

Balahoth, Nov 29, 2023
Thema:

1. hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to... - Similar Threads - hello change discrete

2. hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...: title please help im courious to know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-if-i-change-from-discrete-tpm-to-ftpm-what/1779c5e3-dbfa-4e97-a1ac-f7293c634ad8
  3. hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hello if i change from discrete tpm to fTPM what data will get wiped? would i have to...: title please help im courious to know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-if-i-change-from-discrete-tpm-to-ftpm-what/1779c5e3-dbfa-4e97-a1ac-f7293c634ad8
  4. Issue with FTPM/TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with FTPM/TPM: Hi. Can anyone please help me with this. Regardless I press Yes or No it just loops back to same message. Restarted and I'm with a black screen.Using windows 11 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-with-ftpmtpm/8011a64a-28b1-41fd-8da0-439389646408
  5. Issue with FTPM/TPM

Issue with FTPM/TPM: Hi. Can anyone please help me with this. Regardless I press Yes or No it just loops back to same message. Restarted and I'm with a black screen.Using windows 11 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-with-ftpmtpm/8011a64a-28b1-41fd-8da0-439389646408
  6. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...: If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I thought was important but what would be considered encrypted data? Something I should be worried about losing?...
  7. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...: If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I thought was important but what would be considered encrypted data? Something I should be worried about losing?...
  8. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Hello, I would like to know what this is and if it is a virus, it appeared after I...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hello, I would like to know what this is and if it is a virus, it appeared after I...: Hello, I would like to know what this is and if it is a virus, it appeared after I uninstalled malwarebytes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-i-would-like-to-know-what-this-is-and-if-it/cc494ea5-c90e-4094-b54d-f547035430c8
  10. Data wipe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data wipe: So I was wondering if I restart windows via wipe all data future how much disk space will windows take? submitted by /u/isusbog45 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gw2c59/data_wipe/