Windows 10: help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes?

Discus and support help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; does anyone know the best way to solve this type of problem? or how to diagnose this problem? or the most common reasons for why it happens? *... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by snowfun87, Jul 17, 2017.

1. snowfun87 Win User

help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes?

does anyone know the best way to solve this type of problem? or how to diagnose this problem? or the most common reasons for why it happens?

* happens on startup and just randomly from time to time

* solves by itself randomly

* the performance mointer thingy shows it's not any of programs cos none of them are high at all

been happening for like... i don't know whenever win10 first came out, i just never asked and could never find an answer

:)

snowfun87, Jul 17, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Jul 17, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Jul 17, 2017
  4. TechGuru Win User

Across working with thousands of laptops, some just seem to have significantly slower disks. It could be a sign of disk wear or disk failure. When you open up Task Manager and click disk (I've attached an image to guide you)

help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes? [​IMG]

what shows at the top when you're getting the 100% disk usage problem? My image shows 3% usage, which is quite normal/fine.

When you see it spikes to 100%, take a screenshot and upload here.

One thing it might be is your anti-virus software. This could be Windows Defender or another 3rd-party solution you've installed yourself.

TechGuru, Jul 17, 2017
  5. VILLO1988 Win User
    In my personal experience, it has happend with a lot of AV. (Avira, Avast,Bitdefender)
    Generally Defender itself sometimes runs at 100%. I should say that Windows doesn't like other AV and also its own isn't so funny to have.
    Last time has happened to me was "Ottimizzazione avvio" (the process that optimize the start of W10) but normally ends a few moments later so i consider him not a malfunction.

VILLO1988, Jul 18, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    It is common when antivirus programs are running including windows defender for disk usage to rise and on one of my computers it will stay high for a long period of time if I run windows defender in full mode.
    There are many things you can do; these come to mind:
    1) turn off or uninstall any program that is possibly causing the problem and compare before and after.
    2) place the computer in clean boot
    In clean boot all non-Microsoft applications are off on boot
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-10.aspx
    3) disconnect any attached hardware even printers and see the before and after
    4) use windows performance recorder and make recordings contemporaneously with the high disk consumption
    5) perform an in place upgrade repair to nearly eliminate any operating system/registry problems then compare before to after
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    6) perform a clean install, reinstall files, and applications and compare before to after
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Jul 18, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    I agree with zbook's suggestion #2 - the clean boot would identify or rule out 3rd-party apps causing the problem. You don't have your system specs filled in, so can't tell, but if your system is pre-built, the OEM bloatware many times causes this problem.

Also, a simple step is to check the health of your hard drive. Use Crystal Disk Info, and also run chkdsk on it.
    Download Center - Crystal Dew World
    (Standard Edition is fine.)

Another culprit I've found is Dropbox.

EDIT: Turn off Fast Startup and give it a few real shutdowns.
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

simrick, Jul 18, 2017
  8. Ssjx2 Win User

Ssjx2, Jul 21, 2017
  9. I've been struggling with this issue for months now. Initially, my PC would be ready to use in just a few minutes from pressing the power button - yesterday it took 20 minutes!

Here are some timings from yesterday (all taken from pressing the power button):
    Normal power-up ----- power-up with all start-up apps disabled
    display log-in screen: 60s ---- 60s
    display windows desktop: 125s ---- 126s
    at this point I started Task Manager and clicked on the Performance tab; C: drive is running at 100%
    drive drops to 0%: 20m 5s ---- 19m 58s

The drop from 100% to zero is effectively instantaneous - almost no slope on the graph so maybe 1 or 2 seconds, otherwise it is running at 98-100%.

Once running the PC performs as it should and there are no delays in launching apps. I edit quite large picture files in both Lightroom and Photoshop without any delays waiting for them to load or be resolved so I don't think the HDD is at fault.

It's becomming a real drag! Oh, and my laptop is just the same although I haven't checked the timings on that and I've taken to just putting it to sleep rather than powering off.

SteveGPhoto, Jul 22, 2017
  10. Apologies, but I need to correct some of my last post:
    1. The total time is 11 minutes, not 20
    2. The timings are correct, except for the drive drops to 0%, which should read 11m 30s

I shouldn't try to do this kind of this from memory, Apologies if it causes any annoyance *Smile

SteveGPhoto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes? - Similar Threads - help 100% disk

2. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  3. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  4. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 100% Disk Usage Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk Usage Problem: I just recently started up an HP laptop of mine, running Windows 10 that is a couple of years old after not using it for a while and as expected, it was somewhat slow and tough to use. I figured I’d do some cleanup, although there weren’t too many major programs or files on...
  6. SysMain Causing 100% Disk Usage

SysMain Causing 100% Disk Usage: I've a HP Pavilion g6, intel Core i5 3210M with 4GB RAM, and a Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M8 ST500LM012 500GB HDD. Its a 10 year old HDD. Recently, I discovered a option called ReadyBoost. I inserted my SD Card and formatted it to NTFS and used it for ReadyBoost. So far, I...
  7. 100% disk usage help

100% disk usage help: OK so like two months ago I fixed 100% disk usage, it was fine until this morning when I went to go on my PC and I just noticed it was really slow and I opened up task manager said it was at 100% disk usage I have tried everything super fetch is disabled window search is...
  8. Update causing 100% disk usage

Update causing 100% disk usage: I automatically installed the update and the next day my disk usage was at 100% and still is. Does anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/Vuhvv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iagcn2/update_causing_100_disk_usage/
  9. Help - 100% Disk Usage Problem

Help - 100% Disk Usage Problem: Hello, my HP Windows 10 laptop starting lagging tonight and I noticed that my disk is at 100%. I've tried restarting and it still shoots back up to 100% shortly after. When I restarted and Windows was booting, 3-4 black cmd windows popped up and disappeared in quick...
  10. cause of 100% disk usage (windows10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cause of 100% disk usage (windows10): 1. my processor at 12 to 40 % 2. ram at almost 90% 3. but the disk is at 100 % usage in task manager which hangs my laptop what is the real cause and how to fix it do need to buy another 4 gb ram ? (already having 4 gb ram in slot 1 [ATTACH])...