Windows 10: Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem

Discus and support Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Morning everyone. have just noticed that having taken a USB flashdrive ( which I found could not be written to or read ) - I consigned this to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Skofab, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem

Morning everyone.
    have just noticed that having taken a USB flashdrive ( which I found could not be written to or read ) - I consigned this to the rubbish bin.

A little later I found that an additional 'hard drive' entry was indicated in the 'This PC' window, which now shows a removable disk (F) In other words the entry made when inserting the USB remained after it was removed

So far have not found a way of removing this indication of a non-existent drive. Any thoughts on how to overcome this?
    Thanks in advance
    C

SORRY
    should have mentioned that this problem is on a HP Pavilion Laptop (dv9000 series) - running w10 64 bit o/s

Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem [​IMG]

:)

Skofab, Nov 5, 2017
  2. PhilMix Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Error "Something Happened 0x8009000F-0x90002 "

Problem Solved

My Windows 7 HP has a TV tuner in it using Media Center which is incompatible with Windows 10 causing the

"something happened" blue screen.

Solution:

Using another Computer and a 8GB flash USB drive, I installed the Upgrade to the Flashdrive.

Ran the Setup from the USB Flashdrive in my computer. The Upgrade program discovered the Media Center application, asked to uninstall it and installed Windows 10 Successfully.

PhilMix, Nov 5, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - downloading my flash drive to computer, how

I have pictures on my flashdrive that I would like to download to my laptop, I have windows 10. I put the flashdrive into the USB port, I see the USB on File Explorer, but the pictures will not download, why?

Thank you.

lorettalavelle, Nov 5, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Have you looked at device manager to see if its listed there?

swarfega, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Skofab Win User
    Checked - not listed in device manager.
    Please note that I have added a screenshot to my original post.
    Thanks for your interest.
    C

Skofab, Nov 5, 2017
  6. jumanji Win User
    Do a drive cleanup.

Download v 0.8.1 of the drivecleanup.zip from Drive Tools for Windows. ( You may use the latest version. It is just that I started using it when it was the latest version and continue to use it)

Unzip it to a folder, say drivecleanup.

You will have two folders Win32 and x64 each containing DriveCleanup.exe for 32 bit and 64 bit respectively.

Remove all USB storage devices from all the USB ports (except your Keyboard and mouse) and reboot.

Right click on the DriveCleanup.exe and run as administrator. (Use the DriveCleanup.exe file appropriate for your bit version of Windows.).

After the clean up act, reboot and check whether your system is still showing the non-existent drive.

( When you plug in your USB devices after this cleanup, these will be installed afresh. What you have done is to remove all non-present devices, drive letters and registry entries associated with them and start with a clean slate. Hopefully that should resolve the problem.)

jumanji, Nov 5, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Great suggestion, Jumanji. Uwe Sieber's Device Cleanup tool is equally helpful for flushing stale entries from Device Manager. Thanks for sharing,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Check again, this time click on View > Show hidden devices. Then you'll see all the USBs that have ever been connected. The default view only shows those that are currently connected.

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Do a full shutdown using alt+F4. Then reboot - this usually kills it.

cereberus, Nov 5, 2017
  10. Skofab Win User
    Thanks guys for the suggestions........... no success so far however*Sad

Switching to view did identify two USB's that were not in use (including the one that was the 'suspect'.)
    I highlighted them and deleted. The offending 'hard drive (F) is still there - yes I did reboot.

Tried the Alt +F4 also, but again no result.
    Thank you so much for your tips - keep them coming.*Smile

Skofab, Nov 6, 2017
  11. jumanji Win User
    Yep, Ed Tittel , you already told that on 15 Jul 17 and sure I remembered you when I wrote this post. *Smile

"Thanks for the tip about Sieber's great toolsuite. I used it as the focus for my post to the Windows Enterprise Desktop blog this morning: DriveCleanup Clears Stale Win10 Storage Metadata - Windows Enterprise Desktop. Much-appreciated!
    --Ed--"

@ Skofab, Did you miss my post #4 ??

jumanji, Nov 6, 2017
  12. Skofab Win User
    Yes I did miss this = will give this a whirl later today, hope its not too complicated!
    Thanks for your interest.

Skofab, Nov 6, 2017
  13. spunk Win User

Press the Win Key+X choose Disk Management In the Bottom pane, is the F: drive listed? Right click the Disk# and choose Eject.
    Also, do you have a Card Reader on your computer or Printer? If so, that is the F: drive.

spunk, Nov 6, 2017
  14. jumanji Win User
    Not complicated at all but very simple. Just download v1.5.0 extract, if your system is 32bit, right click on the DriveCleanup.exe in the Win32 folder and run it as administrator.

My instructions in post#4 are very clear.

Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem [​IMG]

jumanji, Nov 6, 2017
  15. robgr Win User
    Try disk management, r/c & select delete volume (if it's showing)

robgr, Nov 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Help - bad USB flashdrive caused a problem - Similar Threads - Help bad USB

2. Need Help usb devices wont work except for flashdrives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help usb devices wont work except for flashdrives: I am using a Acer TravelMate P214-52. I've used many methods on youtube and other forums and but nothing seems to work. My laptop has 3 ports but this one at the up of usb root hub is connected even though I have only three ports. I think this is the cause on why my usb...
  3. Need Help usb devices wont work except for flashdrives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Help usb devices wont work except for flashdrives: I am using a Acer TravelMate P214-52. I've used many methods on youtube and other forums and but nothing seems to work. My laptop has 3 ports but this one at the up of usb root hub is connected even though I have only three ports. I think this is the cause on why my usb...
  4. USB windows flashdrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB windows flashdrive: Hello, I have a question:If I grab a old USB, and put windows on it, is it posible to reuse the same usb to store/save documents and stuff like that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-windows-flashdrive/0b57d011-f897-4dfd-844b-b95c773b7145
  5. USB windows flashdrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB windows flashdrive: Hello, I have a question:If I grab a old USB, and put windows on it, is it posible to reuse the same usb to store/save documents and stuff like that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-windows-flashdrive/0b57d011-f897-4dfd-844b-b95c773b7145
  6. USB windows flashdrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Password Reset with Usb Flashdrive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password Reset with Usb Flashdrive.: I reset my hp laptop because I've been having problems with my audio. I use the pin for my laptop since my uncle gave me this laptop and only told me the pin. After I did, I didn't have the option to sign in with pin and instead had to sign in with password. I've plugged in...
  8. USB flashdrive password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB flashdrive password: so i have a win 10 home laptop and i want to set a password to it. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flashdrive-password/934e0ded-bc40-42fb-930c-7cbbe129f3ad
  9. Help with Flashdrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with Flashdrive: I need step by step instructions on how to put files from my documents into a flashdrive. Please and thankyou https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-flashdrive/2a6115a5-1f9f-42e3-ac71-43a11ef9d76c"
  10. flashdrive problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    flashdrive problems: My flashdrive isn't working and it isn't the many flashdrives that I bought, used w/my surface; edge/microsoft 10 then later it progressively gets worse to the point where i can no longer get info from my drive. I am too busy to have to deal with these problems. I work in...