Windows 10: Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change

Discus and support Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been part of the Insider Program. My old GB motherboard shorted out last week. I got a replacement. It is showing that my copy is no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pittguy578, May 30, 2017.

1. Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change

I have been part of the Insider Program.
    My old GB motherboard shorted out last week. I got a replacement.
    It is showing that my copy is no longer activated. I went through the troubleshooter. Even selected my new hardware. Nada. Nothing works.

Is there any way to fix this at all? I do have a hard drive backup..but that is going to have the same issue I believe if I am not correct.

:)

pittguy578, May 30, 2017

2. Reinstalling Windows 10 Release that was received from Technical Preview Testing

You may be mistaking Insider Build activation for Permanent Activation achieved by those who had originally Upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Insider Preview builds when Release Version came out. There is no Upgrade path from only the Preview Builds.

To confirm Permanent Activation, right click the Start Button to choose Admin Command Prompt, type
    slmgr /xpr, press Enter.

In addition as explained in
    How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware
    while hardware changes are allowed the free Upgrade license does not survive a complete change of PC.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 30, 2017
  3. Jesus​ Win User
    Build 10240 Can't Stop Insider Builds

I think the problem isn't related to activation.

I have windows 10 10240 correctly activated after upgrading from windows 7 and I have the same problem.

I enabled insider builds but then I disabled it and now I only have the restart now button, click it and restart does nothing, again the same button instead the one to enable insider builds.

So I can't disable it or enable again (but insider builds doesn't show on windows update, it seems already disabled).

Jesus​, May 30, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change

Was the old motherboard registered as a device on a Microsoft Account? If you log into that Microsoft account in a web browser, is it still showing up as a device on that account?

NavyLCDR, May 30, 2017
  5. Thank you for your service.

Yes the bizarre thing is that it does show up when I log in. I click on the device to activate it and it says can't activate and makes me go back to the Windows Store. This is absurd. No idea what to do here.

pittguy578, Jun 1, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change [​IMG]
    Note Please notice: the below is based on my personal experience, playing around with various physical and virtual machines with both OEM and Retail Windows 10 licenses to find out how digital license activation and especially re-activation and license transfers work when transferring license to new machine or after hardware changes. I am not saying that what I am telling is The Fact, I am just telling about what I have experienced.

Transferring a license fails if I choose an older OEM license to be used. It usually works when selecting a Retail license. This is of course as expected, OEM licenses are not transferable.

License transfer usually fails even with retail licenses if done when signed in as standard user instead of admin user.

I repeat: the above is solely based on what I have experienced.

The question is: did you have an OEM Windows 10, or had you upgraded from OEM Windows 7 / 8.1? If so, that license is according to EULA not transferable after motherboard change.

Kari, Jun 1, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Technically there is no difference if digital licence is aquired via OEM or Retail upgrade from the unencrypted bits of Genuine ticket, but Kari's real life test says differently so perhaps the encrypted sections does have the original key... who knows?

... Oh, MS does *Rolleyes

Superfly, Jun 1, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Or do they..... ?

cereberus, Jun 1, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    I stressed the fact that my post was only based on my experience, nothing else, exactly because of that. Theoretically any digital license should be transferable, but at least I have never been able to transfer an OEM license.

Of course I admit my tests have not been very extensive; I have only had three OEM licenses to test. As I have multiple Windows 10 PRO licenses available and I prefer PRO over HOME edition, I've only been able to test OEM license transfer with one W10 HOME OEM license originally belonging to a tablet and two W10 HOME licenses originally belonging to two different laptops, wiping their disks clean and clean installing PRO activating with retail MSDN licenses. Before that I of course booted all three devices to desktop and renamed them so licenses / devices should be easier to recognize on each device, and checked that W10 HOME license / device name was correctly shown on my MS account's devices list.

With all three W10 HOME digital licenses I then tried to use them in activating other physical and virtual machines, selecting I recently changed hardware on this device in Activation Troubleshooter to get list of licenses belonging to my MS account, and selecting one of these three. It never works, not for me at least, giving either just a general error message or complaining about "license can't be used because it's already used".

As I still have these three OEM digital licenses listed on my MS account, I tried this once more now on a clean installed W10 HOME on a Hyper-V VM just to get this screenshot:

Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change [​IMG]

Notice that I have never been able to reactivate anything with this particular OEM digital license even the message given says it's already been used for reactivation. License has never been used anywhere else than on a Medion W10 HOME tablet which had its disk wiped and W10 PRO clean installed after the first boot to W10 HOME desktop and renaming device, just to check that digital license was assigned to my MS account.

It seems to be totally random which error message you get; sometimes it's just "We can't connect to Activation Servers", sometimes it's just a generic error code, sometimes the one shown in above screenshot.

Kari, Jun 1, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    Fair enough, and thanx for your input... my quest is getting to understand the encrypted sections of Genine ticket and how that impacts activation.. there has got to be a reason why that is encrypted, has to be sensitive data...

Superfly, Jun 2, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    This with my failure to transfer an OEM license is even stranger than you'd think because of Windows 10 EULA includes a specific exception for users in Germany who are allowed to transfer OEM licenses because of a court ruling.

From W10 EULA: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

I live in Germany, my IP should tell that for Windows Activation servers.

Anyway, Microsoft might be forced to rewrite W10 EULA completely. For instance, take this:

However, they do no longer accept two product keys for same edition on one digitally licensed device. Basically, if you run two installs of same edition on dual boot system, you would need two product keys and licenses according to EULA. However, you can test this by yourself if you have spare keys to use, if you install second copy of same edition on a machine that already has Windows digitally licensed, it will be automatically activated with first install's digital license.

If you want to be honest and change product key of this second installation, then restart to first installation and check you will notice that also its product key used has been changed to the second key. All installs of same edition will always use the same, last used product key for that install.

You simply cannot anymore use more than a single product key for one edition on one PC, regardless if you have it installed two, three or even more times side by side on multiboot system. One key per machine, all additional installs of same edition on different partitions, even native boot VHDs use the same key and all will be activated.

Thema:

1. Help-can't activate Insider Build Again after hardware change - Similar Threads - Help can't activate

2. Activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after hardware change: I am planning on replacing my motherboard, CPU and memory in November and expect I will need to activate windows 10 pro again. After reading up on it I have a digital license as I updated from windows 7 pro years ago. Now since I have a digital license it says I will need to...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after hardware changes

Can't activate Windows 10 after hardware changes: Hi, I updated my computer with some new hardware, including the motherboard. After this my Windows can no longer activate. I tried running the troubleshoot option where I selected "I changed my hardware on this device recently", but then I run into an error .] , this...
  4. Can't activate windows after hardware change

Can't activate windows after hardware change: I changed motherboards. Now, when I try to use the old product key to activate windows it won't let me. I keep getting the error 0x803FA067 when I run the activation troubleshooter. I call Microsoft, got put through to tech support. That person was helping me and then the...
  5. Can't activate windows after hardware change

Can't activate windows after hardware change: I have recently replaced my motherboard and cpu on my pc and I have went through the activation process and it doesn't work. [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-hardware-change/23a199ab-766e-475e-9fac-f863b691244d"
  6. Activating windows insider preview after hardware changes

Activating windows insider preview after hardware changes: Hello, I just changed my components (upgraded my motherboard, processor and SSD) and downloaded the latest insider preview asuming that with my windows account it would activate fine, but after I installed everything, it tells me I cannot activate windows and need to...
  7. Can't activate Windows after hardware change

Can't activate Windows after hardware change: I recently changed hardware in my pc and windows isn't activated anymore. I went through the troubleshooter and the windows support site, but nothing has fixed it. The error 0xC004F211 doesn't go away. I have a digital license key, so I cannot use a product key to reactivate....
  8. Can't activate win10 after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't activate win10 after hardware change.: I've changed my motherboard a few days ago, and i couldn't activate Windows afterwards because it turned out because i upgraded to win10 from a win7 when it was available for free, and i have to make preparations before i change my hardware if i want to keep my OS activated....
  9. Windows 10 can't activate after hardware change

Windows 10 can't activate after hardware change: So i changed my motherboard, ram, CPU and i linked my windows key to my Microsoft account before changing. Now after changing Windows says that its not activated so i click troubleshoot then click i changed hardware then tick the device i'm using and click activate and after...
  10. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...