Windows 10: Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Discus and support Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by supervegeta, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or "Choose defaults for this program".

Now, if I click Set this program as default it doesn't do anything, still says 2 out of 12 of defaults, and if I click the 2nd option: Choose defaults for this program, the list wipes no matter how much I check mark off. If I check mark all the file types, it erases the minute I click okay.

Any fixes? This glitch didn't happen before the most recent update. I really would like to use Windows Photo Viewer instead of the Photos program that comes with the computer. I should be able to change it as I could before.

Write soon please!

:)

supervegeta, Sep 10, 2016

2. Why has Windows Photo Viewer suddenly disappeared from my pc?

When I first upgraded to windows 10, Windows Photo Viewer was the default program to open most pictures, I then set the default program for all pictures to be the "Photos" app and I kept this setting for a couple of days, Now I want to set Windows Photo
    Viewer as the default program again but I can't find the option anywhere.

For example searching for "photo", "photo viewer" or "windows photo viewer" in the search option in the taskbar brings no results whatsoever, Alternatively, using the context menu on a random picture and selecting "open with / Choose another app / more apps"
    brings a bunch of programs to choose from but windows photo gallery isn't among them. I've also tried "Control panel / programs / default programs / set default programs" and Windows photo viewer appears as an option in which I select "set this program as
    default" but even after that my computer keeps using the "Photos" app to open pictures etc.

I would appreciate any help in getting back Windows Photo Viewer as the default program for opening pictures,

Thanks a lot in advance.

JuanVera_909, Sep 10, 2016
  3. How to set Windows Photo viewer as default program when viewing photos in windows 10?

Yes, I did it. But unfortunately it autometically goes back to the photo app as default when I try to open my photos. Anyway, thanks for your help.

AlifAl Emran, Sep 10, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Brink, Sep 10, 2016
  5. I did follow the tutorial, but as I said if I click Set as default (step 9) nothing happens. And if I go to uncheck mark the file associations for the Photos program that comes with Win10, the check marks don't budge. I can't uncheck it. If I try to do "Always use this program to open .PNG files" through the Open With feature, it resets back to Photos after 2 minutes. What to do?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 10, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 10, 2016
  8. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Maybe it's not worth it. Sigh...oh well.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's safe to do and won't take long to finish if you like.

Brink, Sep 10, 2016
  10. Well I went through Associate a file type or protocol with a program, and it worked. I just manually did JPEG, BMP, PNG, etc.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, it'll stick and won't get reset like it did with Open with.

Brink, Sep 10, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the Photo app?

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

1. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program! - Similar Threads - Help Can't set

2. Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.: I have tried to set my photo viewer default to Irfanview, however Win11 continually resets the default to Photos. I don't seem to be able to clean/remove/disable Photos and it is useless beside Irfanview. Any suggestions on how to clean/remove/disable Photos and make...
  3. Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer: I am trying to set Imageglass as my default photo viewer. When I go to the default app section and select photo imageglass doesn't come up as an option. Is there any other way to set a default image viewer?...
  4. how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default: How can I set Windows Photo Viewer as my default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-windows-photo-viewer-as-my-default/4aaf2fed-d399-4a0f-8d22-afb25d15ee5c
  5. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  6. Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default: So I've added the registry key to activate back " Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]...
  7. Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809): Customer Service asked me to post this here to see if anyone knew anything about it. I've been able to set it as default up to 17134.376 (1803) but after I did a fresh reinstall of 1809 from USB I'm no longer able to get the setting to stick. I've tried doing things the...
  8. can't use photo viewer as default viewer anymore (win 10)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't use photo viewer as default viewer anymore (win 10): hi, I always used the photo viewer as the default viewer for all types of images. windows photos is garbage, i mean, using the scroll wheel for switching to the next image instead of zooming? button to see the image's original size hidden in a menu?? what in heaven? not to...
  9. Trouble Setting 'IrfanView' App as Default Photo Viewer

Trouble Setting 'IrfanView' App as Default Photo Viewer: Hello Friends! Firstly, thank you Shawn @Brink for taking the time to share your expertise with us all and amongst other things, compile an extensive and thorough list of Windows 10 Help Tutorials. I've read your 'How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows...
  10. Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer

Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer: Photoscape is an app that is functioning normally. I want to make it my Default Photo Viewer. When I go to Settings/Default Apps it is not on the list On one attempt to set, it stated that Photoscape was "unavailable" (not sure where that occurred) I have tried a number...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant set windows photo viewer to default

2. cant set photo viewer as default app

3. windows 10 default photo viewer reset