Windows 10: Help! Cortana Microsoft account changed windows login!

Discus and support Help! Cortana Microsoft account changed windows login! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Can anyone please advise me? I enabled cortana on my fathers windows 10 install, which required the creation of a Microsoft user account. I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Dave6789, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dave6789 Win User

Help! Cortana Microsoft account changed windows login!

Can anyone please advise me?

I enabled cortana on my fathers windows 10 install, which required the creation of a Microsoft user account.

I created a new Microsoft user account linked to my fathers email address for this^ purpose, and recorded the password in a document stored on the windows 10 machine.

Windows 10 then automatically changed the windows login from the user local account, to the Microsoft user account! Which I did not anticipate.

Now we are locked out of the computer.

His email address password is also locked behind the windows login! So we cannot access the email address the Microsoft user account is linked to for password recovery!

How could this happen? All we wanted to do was talk to cortana! *Sad

:)

Dave6789, Dec 3, 2016

2. Cortana calls me <user_name> even if I write my correct name.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

You may refer to this article to check if this helps.

Change what Cortana calls you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-what-cortana-calls-you#

Further, ensure to login to the Microsoft account and check the status.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Dec 3, 2016
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and how frustrated you might be due this issue. Don’t worry, we are here to assist you.

I suggest you to login to Microsoft account through browser and check.

If you are able to login, I suggest you to login to Cortana and check. If the issue still persist, I suggest you to again click on forgot password option and create new password for the Microsoft account. Then try logging in to Cortana and check if
    it helps. If Cortana ask for old password, enter the password which you have changed using forgot password for the first time.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 3, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Did you by any chance set up a recovery email address when you created the Microsoft account , or link it to a phone number?

I'm assuming you've been to Reset your password already?

Wullail, Dec 3, 2016
  5. Dave6789 Win User
    Thanks for your reply.

No and my father does not remember his email password nor is it written down anywhere.

Everything is locked behind his original windows 10 login pin number.

Dave6789, Dec 3, 2016
  6. Wullail Win User
    Have you tried turning on the hidden administrator account and using that to log in and change your fathers password?

Click/Tap on the Power button under the Start Menu or on the lower right-hand side of the Login screen, press and hold the Shift key, and click/tap on Restart.

This will open a command prompt at boot, then type.

net user Administrator /active:yes

to activate it...you should be able to login under that account instead as it's not password protected by default and then go into users to change his password.

Wullail, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help! Cortana Microsoft account changed windows login! - Similar Threads - Help Cortana Microsoft

2. Cannot change local Windows 10 login to Microsoft account login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot change local Windows 10 login to Microsoft account login: So I have been pulling my hair trying to Google-fu that's a verb, btw the answer to this. Everything I can find either doesn't line up with my circumstances precisely or about 89% of the time there's an answer, the person answering is not understanding the exact issue and/or...
  3. Cannot change local Windows 10 login to Microsoft account login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change local Windows 10 login to Microsoft account login: So I have been pulling my hair trying to Google-fu that's a verb, btw the answer to this. Everything I can find either doesn't line up with my circumstances precisely or about 89% of the time there's an answer, the person answering is not understanding the exact issue and/or...
  4. Cannot change local Windows 10 login to Microsoft account login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  6. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  7. Microsoft Account - changing the login mail account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account - changing the login mail account?: My mail address is going away; it is my Microsoft Account login id. How do I change it? I have already added the new address and made it my primary address Dave NB Finding a Category for this wasn't necessarily simple...
  8. Cortana and microsoft account

in Cortana
    Cortana and microsoft account: When i open cortana it tells me to sign in with my microsoft account,i pick sign in and choose my account,it then shows a blank screen and the screen vanishes after a few seconds.i open cortana and it still tells me to sign in....
  9. Change Windows 10 Login, Not Microsoft Account Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change Windows 10 Login, Not Microsoft Account Login: Hello, I have seen this question asked over the last few years, but have no seen a satisfactory answer. I want to change the password I use to log into Windows 10 on my laptop. This password is different from my Microsoft Account password. I do not want to change my...
  10. Help Removing Microsoft Account login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help Removing Microsoft Account login: Hi I'm running windows 10 pro free upgrade, I stupidly created a Microsoft account to install an app 'remote desktop' it changed my login to an email address, that messed up all my network logons, and I don't want an email logon, I hate it. I want a normal name login. I...