Windows 10: Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP

Discus and support Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm frustrated with having to ask this here as I consider myself really tech-savvy and my Google-fu is pretty good, but I just can't solve it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by burntoc, Jan 27, 2018.

1. burntoc Win User

Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP

Hi all, I'm frustrated with having to ask this here as I consider myself really tech-savvy and my Google-fu is pretty good, but I just can't solve it.

I have a couple of Windows 10 Home/Enterprise PCs and I've got an 8TB WD Easystore formatted as exFat (because it has large video files and may be accessed by my Linux or Mac boxes directly at some point). I've been trying to share the files via SMB or SFTP, mainly the latter because of issues with Kodi and other apps accessing SMB shares well.

For SFTP, I've tried FileZilla Server and zFTPServer and everything seems good in the apps, and I've assigned write permissions within their admin interfaces, but trying to copy files up from the clients I ALWAYS get a write error as if access is denied. I would think the FTP servers are running as system accounts and would have full access as needed, and in this setup there is no Permissions option in Windows, just Sharing and Advanced Sharing (presumably due to the exFAT format?).

Can anyone tell me how you can share read/write access to an external exFAT USB drive via SMB, Samba, or SFTP in Windows 10?

Thanks!

:)

burntoc, Jan 27, 2018
  2. rimugu Win User

Ftp Client for S60 v5 like 5800 and later...

I don't have answers on this. Sorry But I sure would like to have and ftp (and sftp even more) client to use in s60 v5

rimugu, Jan 27, 2018
  3. NeilHorn Win User
    usb1_1 on 192.168.1.1 The Folder name is not valid

I have an external drive connected via a USB port on my home gateway. In windows 10 ; the drive and its contents are visible and accessible in the This PC; >Network window. When I attempt to describe the network location; Control Panel ; All Control Panel
    Items; File History; Select Drive using the text format ftp://ftp@192.168.1.1/usb1_1/ I get an error message usb1_1 on 192.168.1.1 The Folder name is not valid. How may I describe the drive correctly?

NeilHorn, Jan 27, 2018
  4. bro67 Win User

If a external drive is connected via USB, there is no way to send files to FTP, unless you have mapped it to a Virtual drive on the machine you have it connected to.

bro67, Jan 27, 2018
  5. burntoc Win User
    Thanks. Will Samba work or is it always the same underlying issue with USB?

burntoc, Jan 27, 2018
  6. I wouldn't be so sure that the FTP server is running as System. You can look at Task Manager->Details to see the actual username the server is running under.

Sharing a USB drive via SMB is no different than sharing any other drive or folder in Windows.

PolarNettles, Jan 27, 2018
  7. burntoc Win User
    Regardless of the filesystem, I take it?

burntoc, Jan 28, 2018
  8. Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP

Sure.

Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP [​IMG]

Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jan 28, 2018
  9. bro67 Win User
    SAMBA is why we can share folders and files. You also need to change that drive to FAT32, not Exfat.

bro67, Jan 28, 2018
  10. burntoc Win User
    So I was able to confirm that SMB works fine - even with it being exFAT. The issue was (best I can tell) with Win10 deprecating SMB v1 and Kodi not supporting SMB v2 or v3 well (or v1 as of late for that matter). I installed the Kodi Leia alpha and it is working fine.

burntoc, Jan 28, 2018
  11. bro67 Win User
    If you cannot use SMBv2/3, then it is a issue of that program. SMBv1 on all Operating systems was retired, because it had long ongoing security risks. Kodi can only use what the OS has available for it, not the other way around.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP - Similar Threads - Help error trying

2. USB write protect error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB write protect error: Hi, firstly sorry for my english.When I try to upload a video or a photo, I faced an error message the disk is write protected. I tried diskpart but nothing happens. Also I can't do error checking or format the usb. What should I do?...
  3. USB write protect error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB write protect error: Hi, firstly sorry for my english.When I try to upload a video or a photo, I faced an error message the disk is write protected. I tried diskpart but nothing happens. Also I can't do error checking or format the usb. What should I do?...
  4. USB write protected error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB write protected error: Hi,I get the error "The disk is write protected" when I try to copy something into the USB or format it. I checked for viruses with ESET anti-virus and there were no viruses. Also, I tried the command prompt way, the regedit way but none of them worked. I also used EaseUS...
  5. FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question: Hi folks Any networking Guru out there got answers for this query : Xferring same set of files To and From Windows to / From NAS server Linux machine running Arch Linux kernel 5.8.3. The Windows machine - HP laptop i5 processor. No Wifi involved - on LAN with full duplex...
  6. FTP creation via windows 10

FTP creation via windows 10: I succeeded in creating a local ftp server. Easy as 123. Did the firewall rules, and port forwarding as well.. My problem now is I can not connect to it from outside my local network. What can I do to solve this problem?...
  7. Create an FTP Server on Windows 10 to be accessed via an External Network

in Windows 10 News
    Create an FTP Server on Windows 10 to be accessed via an External Network: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]After we have set up an FTP Server on a Windows 10 computer, it will be accessible within a Local Network. But if you wish to access the hosted files remotely, it brings in some limitations. To overcome these limitations and [...] This post Create an FTP...
  8. usb protected against writing error help

in Windows 10 Customization
    usb protected against writing error help: usb protected against writing error help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-protected-against-writing-error-help/52cce591-f864-4574-a7d6-fdd1bd2de65d
  9. Accessing external harddisk connected via USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing external harddisk connected via USB: How do I make a connected USB drive (ie, an external harddisk connected via a USB port) visible in the File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/accessing-external-harddisk-connected-via-usb/2ca4e8e3-10bc-4bc6-a639-4c7676d320a2
  10. Connect to SFTP or FTPS via File Explorer

Connect to SFTP or FTPS via File Explorer: Hi! I would like to connect to an SFTP server or FTPS. It MUST be via the built-in file explorer, but extra software to add that feature would be fine. FTP is insecure and it would be nice to be able to use FTPS or SFTP (yes, I know the difference). 48976