Windows 10: help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam

Discus and support help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys Hope you can help as I have a few questions, first what happened. My son 1 year ago, my son fell for the scam of " M/S infected pc" and he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frenchman96, Aug 11, 2018.

1. help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam

Hi Guys

Hope you can help as I have a few questions, first what happened. My son 1 year ago, my son fell for the scam of " M/S infected pc" and he rang a number, they offered to help for £20 so he gave bank details and was scammed for £499 and a second time for £199 later in year, which I managed to claw back.

At the time, I did a reformat and got him back to normal, but 2 weeks ago, this happened. He booted up to find pc frozen, and a number to ring, he did this but no bank details given, just left him with frozen screen, so now my questions. After reading several Google reports on subject, it is happening big style and if the user gives permission for "remote assistance" apparently, they leave "something" on his pc to cause this freeze and promote their number to ring.

1-if I do a reformat to put it back to factory settings, will that remove whatever has been left on pc.
    2-if I manage (and remember how) to clean it, is there any way the "baddie" can return remotely.
    3-I can tell him how to change passwords, even get a new debit card, what else can I do.
    4-I suppose it makes sense for me to apply remote assistance to his pc as we live 30 miles apart, any comment.

He is bringing his laptop here today, so any relies would be gratefully welcome, also if it helps, I do have an Hitachi 250 gb hard drive.

:)

frenchman96, Aug 11, 2018
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Tech Scam?

Hi Troy,

If you did not initiate this request for service, then it's called a tech support scam. It's a strategy in tricking you to pay for unnecessary technical services. Microsoft doesn't send unsolicited messages or request personal information to diagnose and
    repair your device. Any communication we have with you must be initiated only by you.

It's best to back up your files and get in touch with Answer Desk. You can set a callback or schedule a call on this
    link. For your reference on what to do with these kinds of scam and threat, you can check the following
    links:

Feel free to post back if you need further help.

Erika Aro, Aug 11, 2018
  3. Brink Win User

help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam

Microsoft teams up with Better Business Bureau on tech support scams

Source: Microsoft teams up with the Better Business Bureau to issue warning on tech support scams - Microsoft on the Issues

Brink, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam

1. help for vulnerable person falling for Microsoft tech scam - Similar Threads - help vulnerable person

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. Did I fall to Microsoft tech support scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did I fall to Microsoft tech support scam?: I contacted Microsoft support regarding my windows activation. I don’t even know if I went to the correct website but his number +1425635-2970 called me seconds later from Bellevue, WA saying that are the Microsoft support team with a heavy Indian accent to the the point...
  4. Did I fall to Microsoft tech support scam?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Did I fall to Microsoft tech support scam?: I contacted Microsoft support regarding my windows activation. I don’t even know if I went to the correct website but his number +1425635-2970 called me seconds later from Bellevue, WA saying that are the Microsoft support team with a heavy Indian accent to the the point...
  5. Did I fall to Microsoft tech support scam?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Phony Microsoft Tech Support Scam: DANGER!! Almost as soon as I posted a notice pertaining to a performance issue in the M-365 Forum, I received an email from a "Richard Miller71" with the following text: Note the bad English, which should raise a red flag We apologize for the inconvenience you have...
  7. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  8. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  9. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  10. Tech Scam

Tech Scam: I was just scammed by person claiming to be with Microsoft using Microsoft trademark as they got into my computer. I paid no money, but since they gained access to my computer, I assume I'm in danger re bank accounts, etc. What should my next steps be for my safety?...