Windows 10: HELP! Have I just been scammed??

Discus and support HELP! Have I just been scammed?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Last night I got an alarm that said "Windows Immediate Action Alert & Alarm" complete with warning sounds. It said I needed to call 877.242.8595... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DeeC, Jan 13, 2016.

1. DeeC Win User

HELP! Have I just been scammed??

Last night I got an alarm that said "Windows Immediate Action Alert & Alarm" complete with warning sounds. It said I needed to call 877.242.8595 immediately to work through this issue. My computer was acting up all day, screen turning milky white, freezing up, I couldn't get much done.

Long story short, after 2.5 hours of them working inside my computer, I paid $210 for 5 years of Norton and 1 yr of tech support from them. Today, I'm having second thoughts but the computer does work nicely.

American Express (which they didn't want to take but I insisted) said they seem to be legitimate according to PCWorld.
    The name of the company is WebWareWorld, Inc. 8800 167th Place, Orland Hills, Ill. 60847

Has anyone ever had this happen? Should I shut my life down and start over from scratch? New credit cards? New bank cards? New passwords?

Why doesn't Microsoft step in to help people?

:)

2. I have been burning CDs for years just recently they will play on my computer not on my CD players. I added another Windows 10 account and CDs plays on my CD player.

Corrupt profiles: they happen.

(Although this is the first I have heard of them affecting this particular component.)

Shenan Stanley, Jan 13, 2016
  3. I have been burning CDs for years just recently they will play on my computer not on my CD players. I added another Windows 10 account and CDs plays on my CD player.

I have used Windows Media Player, Any Video Converter, CD Burner XP and WinX Video to burn the DVD/CDs, I use VLC media player. When I BURN DVD/CD they will play on my computer they will not play on my MP3/CD players. This has started 2 weeks ago.
    I have windows 10. I burn more CDs then DVD. When I burn a CD I use wav or wma format. I have replaced the DVD/CD Opticsl Drive with no change. Could it be caused by windows 10 update?

Andre Da Costa replied on February 20, 2018

MVP

• Community Moderator

Article Author

Try removing the recent update since this happened:
    Press Windows key + R Type: appwiz.cpl
    Hit Enter Click View installed updates
    See if KB4074588, KB4056892, KB4077675 KB4058258 is installed or not.
    If it is, right click it then uninstall each. Try burning another disc again.
    If the problem perists, try burning at a lower speed, use a different brand CD.

Best, Andre Windows Insider MVP
    MVP-Windows and Devices for IT

I did this with no help.

I took some old CDs that play on my CD players and I open them up. They only have files. All the CDs that I burned that will not play on my CD players have files and a FOLDER.

I added another Windows10 account and CDs plays on my
    CD player. It works in the NEW ACCOUNT. It will not work in the account I set up when I installing when Windows

GaryPalmgren, Jan 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi DeeC and welcome to Tenforums.

That's not a good story.

Want a chance to scam a scammer? Call 877-242-8595 or 800-239-0148 - YouTube

Please read this post:
    Solved Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know - Windows 10 Forums

If they've been in your computer, you can assume they had/have access to everything.

EDIT: Please run an ESET Online Scan to see if there are any nasties left in your system from them.

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Easy rule of thumb: Whenever they want money or access to your computer, hang up.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    Contact American Express and get help from them. And this is not a MS problem to solve. You have to take the bull by the horns and contact the credit card company.. NOW!

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Excellent piece of advice, should be carved in the stone. Hang up when they ask money or access to your PC.

8. BunnyJ New Member

It sounds from the description in the OP that some malware got into his PC and that's how he got the message to call that number. Just a bad situation and calling the credit card company is the only thing he can do to attempt to block the payment and get a new number issued to him.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Bunny, that is certainly good advice. But he should not have gotten into this tight spot in the first place. Therefore my rule - malware or not. There are always procedures to get rid of the malware.

10. BunnyJ New Member
    I totally agree and that's the reason I'm so happy I have a great shop in town. If all else fails I take my PC there and let them fix any issues I can't.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2016
  11. How exactly would you expect Microsoft to step in an help? You fell for the oldest tech scam in the book, so i can understand being angry and even embarrassed, but Microsoft is not to blame for this, nor are they responsible for stopping you.

I will never understand the rationale behind giving out financial information and allowing access to your computer to complete strangers, rather than asking help of someone you trust.

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I doubt that there are situations that you cannot handle yourself. And then there is still this forum that can help. I never asked anybody to bail me out.

13. HELP! Have I just been scammed??

No need to restart your life. Yes, whatever card you gave them needs to be changed right away, and your bank contacted about the incident. New passwords: yes for your computer login. Change that, remove malware, and try to prevent any remote access. Steps to take: this free program can scan for malware if you run it: Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software, or you can use a built-in app called Defender already on your computer, though it might not catch everything.

Also, this:
    Type cmd into your start search, RIGHT-click it, and click Run as administrator.

type sfc /scannow, and this will fix some issues your computer may face.

DustSailor, Jan 13, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    OS and software issues I deal with myself. As for hardware I tend to take it to the shop. With my anxiety and neurological issues I can't do any hardware work anymore.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I understand. I have somewhat the same situation. In my case it is my weak eyes that cannot be improved with glasses (macular degeneration)

Thema:

1. HELP! Have I just been scammed?? - Similar Threads - HELP been scammed

2. Have I been scammed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have I been scammed: Last month my desktop computer was blocked and I had to call this number to get help, +1 425-310-5434. A man called Thomas Maier said that I had no Firewall and no security on my computer, he used Ultraviewer to get access to my computer. I knew that my protection had run out...
  3. Have I been scammed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have I been scammed: Last month my desktop computer was blocked and I had to call this number to get help, +1 425-310-5434. A man called Thomas Maier said that I had no Firewall and no security on my computer, he used Ultraviewer to get access to my computer. I knew that my protection had run out...
  4. Help, I think I have been scammed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help, I think I have been scammed: I received today numerous pop ups telling me that Microsoft had locked my computer due to a security breach and urging me to contact Microsoft on 020 7097 4845 to sort it out. I did so believing it genuine. I spoke to an Asian gentleman who, I thought, helped me sort out...
  5. I believe I have been scammed....

I believe I have been scammed....: A year ago, I fell for a scam by someone that I met online. This person informed me that I had a number of corrupt files on my laptop and that he and his team would be able to rid of them. As well, I was "sold" on signing up for a year on their technical services. The...
  6. I have been scammed

I have been scammed: if you are in the crypto coin world do not us <Removed> they are a scam site they are in the Microsoft 2 factor authentication site its a scam don't use it!!!! [Original Title: scammed]...
  7. have i been scammed

have i been scammed: Error code-0x8024402c with a phone number that obviously was not microsoft however i am now worried that the phone number i did think was microsoft was not & concerned as i let her share my screen. can someone please give me some advice as im not very good with technology....
  8. have i been scammed

have i been scammed: error code 0x8024402c asking me to call 01215120016 it obviously was not microsoft BUT i did ring this number 03448002400 & shared my screen can anyone please tell me if this is a microsoft phone number as im not sure what to do...
  9. I think I have been scammed

I think I have been scammed: My computer came up with a message saying that it had been blocked because of a virus threat. I could not 'x' out of it or any of the programmes that I had open so I called the number on the screen - an 0800 number so it looked ok. I then stupidly gave them remote access...
  10. Have I been scammed?

Have I been scammed?: Have I been scammed? My computer was running very slow and I kept getting a pop up window saying it has 5 drivers outdated with a help number, The advisor was very helpful and said I could update the 5 drivers for $39.99. As we got into downloading the drivers, he often...