Windows 10: Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in!

Discus and support Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I have a Dell Alienware M18Xr2 which I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Everything was fine until yesterday. I'm building an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by kragen, Oct 14, 2016.

1. kragen Win User

Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in!

So I have a Dell Alienware M18Xr2 which I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10.

Everything was fine until yesterday.

I'm building an app in Visual Studio, and was getting an access denied error trying to read a .XML file.

It turned out I had the path wrong, but before I figured that out I started playing around with my permissions and ownership settings.

Whilst I was doing this I accidentally hit delete when my user was highlighted in the security tab. I didn't notice it at first. But when my computer restarted I was no longer able to login in. And this is still the case *Sad

I can get into safe mode, but any attempt to get into regular Windows leaves me hanging on the pastel blue screen with the spinning dots.

I tried running system restore from a Windows 10 install disc, it picked up a restore point from last week, then gave an error in the restore process and now won't pick up ANY restore points.

I got into safe mode and ran sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, it said it found and fixed errors but didn't fix my issue.

I tried to "reset" keeping my files, but that won't work because my Users folder is on D:

Are there any options that don't involve wiping and re-installing?

:)

kragen, Oct 14, 2016
  2. Argel Obm Win User

I mess up,Can't Log into windows.

Hi,

We need to clarify a few things first for us to better understand your concern. Please provide the answers to the questions below:

• Do you remember what is the service that you disabled before encountering the issue? Also, provide us how you disabled that service.
    • What is the error message that you're getting when you attempt to log in to the computer? We suggest that you post a picture of the issue here for us to further investigate your concern.
    • Which type of account are you using to log in to your computer? Are you using your Microsoft account or a local account?

Argel Obm, Oct 14, 2016
  3. AbeUCMP Win User
    I mess up,Can't Log into windows.

I have always tinker around windows. I had windows95,98,ME,XP,7,8 and now 10. I have mess up the OS lots of times. Most times I just re-installed the OS The fact that I was able to brick my own PC was why I never looked at Mac, after all it's my hardware.
    So I always move the settings around to keep some programs from running and using resources this time I went for the services... I tried to be careful, however I disable a service that allows me to log into windows. My question is Where in the hard-drive does
    windows keeps this setting saved. I want to temporally hook that hard-drive in that computer to another one and change the setting back to 0,1,2,3,4 or whatever enable is. is it in the registry? or what are my other options. I know the last one would be to
    re-install the OS. Any Idea or advice is welcome and I know it's not a microsoft's fault it's mine.

PS. It's just that there are lots of services targeted to mobile devices, I got a Desktop. I wish windows would quit trying to be like apple or android. I don't use or like the windows store or the apps. I love windows programs.

AbeUCMP, Oct 14, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Can you run a restore point from before the time of your disastrous deletion? Restore a backup of similar vintage? Both of those approaches will work from safe mode and should restore your system to its previous state.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  5. kragen Win User
    I'll try running system restore again, haven't actually tried it from within safe mode.

First time I tried it was from windows install media, which found a restore point but produced an error trying restore it.

Second time was from the windows troubleshooting menu when I worked out how to get that to appear. Unfortunately second time it told me there were no restore points

kragen, Oct 14, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If it isn't able to find restore points, that could be a problem. If that proves to be unworkable, do you have a recent backup to which you can revert? Otherwise, you may need to set up a new account on your machine, and then figure out how to migrate over what you can, and recreate what you can't. It's terribly time consuming which is why you should exhaust other alternatives first and foremost before trying that instead.
    Ouch!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  7. kragen Win User
    Unfortunately no back ups that I'm aware of. If setting up a new account would work, I could I set up a new account with the same name as my old one?

kragen, Oct 14, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Even if you use the same name, you won't automatically inherit or get access to all the stuff you had before. You'll still have to navigate into the %Windir%\Users|\<old-name> directory and copy everything over into %Windir%\Users\<new-name>. I don't recommend using the same name again, as it will take an already confusing situation and make it more confusing. Not the right direction in which to take things, I fear...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  9. kragen Win User
    OK, good to know, thank you. I think setting up a new user is probably the way to go.

kragen, Oct 14, 2016
  10. kragen Win User
    I am wondering if because I only had the one user account plus my the installation admin account would I have had this issue if I had other accounts active?

kragen, Oct 14, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    One important moral to take away from this sad story is to make sure you've always got a current restore point, and a relatively current backup (disk image of the boot/sys drive is best) to turn to in case of emergency. As time permits, please do yourself a favor and take the steps necessary to ensure future access to such invaluable recovery data.
    HTH,
    --ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  12. kragen Win User
    Still having issues

The add user option doesn't work, found somewhere that told me to use Win+R then type "control userpasswords2" this brought up a box where I was able to add another user.

Unfortunately it didn't bring the login screen back on startup *Sad

kragen, Oct 15, 2016
  13. TrustMe Win User

TrustMe, Oct 15, 2016
  14. kragen Win User
    Actually I just got in, managed to log into safe mode in the second user account I created and took control of c: and login screen came back, just trying to get start menu back now

kragen, Oct 15, 2016
  15. TrustMe Win User
    Thanks for the update, sounds like you're making progress.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in! - Similar Threads - Help messed Users

2. I messed up my Users folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up my Users folder.: The normal users folders or admin folders which consist of Pictures, Documents, Videos, Music, Etc. I change their location and messed up i dont know to reset it and bring it back to normal. Is there any solutions? Please help...
  3. I messed up my Users folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up my Users folder.: The normal users folders or admin folders which consist of Pictures, Documents, Videos, Music, Etc. I change their location and messed up i dont know to reset it and bring it back to normal. Is there any solutions? Please help...
  4. I messed up my Users folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. My log in is messing up for my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My log in is messing up for my computer: I’m trying to log into my laptop, but says password is incorrect and sometimes it’ll say welcome then go black and say password is incorrect, it’s happened before and a password reset fixed it but today i have reset my microsoft password twice and its still doing it...
  6. My log in is messing up for my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My log in is messing up for my computer: I’m trying to log into my laptop, but says password is incorrect and sometimes it’ll say welcome then go black and say password is incorrect, it’s happened before and a password reset fixed it but today i have reset my microsoft password twice and its still doing it...
  7. I messed up with my cloning, help?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I messed up with my cloning, help?: [img] So what I was trying to do was to clone my SSD to HHD so that I can install my new SSD. Now the HHD I cloned to was previously 1TB but not it's saying it's 120GB exactly the same as my SSD? I have no idea what's going on and it's not going going well this cloning...
  8. I messed up with my cloning, help?

in Windows 10 Support
    I messed up with my cloning, help?: [img] So what I was trying to do was to clone my SSD to HHD so that I can install my new SSD. Now the HHD I cloned to was previously 1TB but not it's saying it's 120GB exactly the same as my SSD? I have no idea what's going on and it's not going going well this cloning...
  9. are my user accounts messed up?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    are my user accounts messed up?: I'm not sure if I'm worrying for nothing, but here goes... I'm running Win10 ver 1909 (build 18363-959) on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I was logged into my "steve" account - which is an admin account. I saved a picture from Ifranview64 to the Documents folder. Going online...
  10. are my user accounts messed up?

in Windows 10 Support
    are my user accounts messed up?: I'm not sure if I'm worrying for nothing, but here goes... I'm running Win10 ver 1909 (build 18363-959) on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I was logged into my "steve" account - which is an admin account. I saved a picture from Ifranview64 to the Documents folder. Going online...