Windows 10: Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors

Discus and support Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I guess the title says it all. I keep getting notification about scanning my drive for errors ever since my dad restarted the PC while it was switched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nzyme, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Nzyme Win User

Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors

I guess the title says it all. I keep getting notification about scanning my drive for errors ever since my dad restarted the PC while it was switched on forcefully using the power button. I know that is not the correct way of switching off or restarting a PC.

Ever since, my PC started behaving very strangely (very very slow, A/V being disabled, programs showing errors, etc.) so I decided to completely do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro. However, I was surprised that after installing the OS, I again saw the error (see attached). I let the tool scan my disk for error but after restart, I got another error that read Restart to repair drive errors (screenshot # 2).

Why is this error persistent even after installing a clean OS. Will completely wiping & formatting my HDD resolve this? Please help!

Thanks!

:)

Nzyme, Apr 9, 2016

2. Scan Drive For Errors

Hi,

I am getting notifications of scan drive for errors. My pc also gets hanged and I had to press the shutdown button to get it functioning. When it restarts, it gives the same notification. I scanned the system using updated windows defender. Kindly see if
    anyone can help?

Thanks

Kamran Naeem, Apr 9, 2016
  3. fastoy Win User
    Scan Drive For Errors

I'm not sure I have a Seagate drive. I have run SpinRite on this drive and it was clean.

fastoy, Apr 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you ever actually clicked on that to let chkdsk run? Please do so and post the results.

I would also suggest you check the SMART parameters for your disk. I assume you have a HDD - maybe more than one- no idea what your PC is as you've not completed the specs.

If unfamiliar with SMART see
    SMART Parameters and Early Signs of a Failing Hard Disk | Hetman Software
    e.g.

You may find this (free for personal) tool useful
    PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility

Please post a screenshot showing the SMART params. Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 9, 2016
  5. Nzyme Win User
    Hi dalchina, thanks for the quick response. I have run the program "CrystalDiskInfo" and instantly saw the status as "Caution" instead of Good. I have attached a screenshot of the results. I have also attached the results from PassMark for your reference. Thanks!

Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors [​IMG]

Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors [​IMG]

Nzyme, Apr 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Mm- clearer indication.

Would suggest you make sure you have adequate backups of any data, settings, program licenses etc etc..

Tends to look like a disk replacement- which is allowed and you can reinstall Win 10 ok on a new one.
    If you were in the habit of using disk imaging or creating system images (disk imaging is strongly recommended here) you could copy your working installation onto a new disk.

It may not be possible to complete an image with an apparently failing disk, so you may be faced with a clean install.

By all means try chkdsk and see how far you get...

dalchina, Apr 9, 2016
  7. Nzyme Win User
    I have backed up all my data and went ahead with another clean installation of Win 10. During installation, I formatted my hard disk and installed the OS. Since then, I am not seeing any of those errors. I will keep an eye for some more time and let you know if I still get those errors. I guess, the solution was as simple as a format but I can't really confirm that now.

Nzyme, Apr 10, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hope you're lucky- best leave a SMART monitor program running that gives an indication if sthg's wrong.

And use 3rd party disk imaging regularly and routinely - that way you can save your self clean installs, migrate to an SSD, replace your HDD and even- using Laplink's software - use the image to have your programs (most of them) automatically installed on a new PC.

dalchina, Apr 10, 2016
  9. Nzyme Win User
    I purchased a new HDD and smashed the old one to pieces Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors :p Everything is fine now.

Nzyme, Apr 29, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    *chuckle bet you enjoyed that.. some things last, like my 1977 cassette deck and 80's hi-fi, others don't.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors - Similar Threads - Help Keep getting

2. Scan drive for errors notification keeps appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scan drive for errors notification keeps appearing: As the subject says, the notification "scan drive for errors" keeps on appearing, I have clicked it thinking that it will be fixed but no because a few hours or days later it appears again. This has been going on for weeks now and it is really annoying as it can appear at any...
  3. Scan drive for errors notification keeps appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scan drive for errors notification keeps appearing: As the subject says, the notification "scan drive for errors" keeps on appearing, I have clicked it thinking that it will be fixed but no because a few hours or days later it appears again. This has been going on for weeks now and it is really annoying as it can appear at any...
  4. Keep getting "Restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keep getting "Restart to repair drive errors": For some reason if I let my laptop on without interacting with it for some time around 10- 30 mins I'll get a notification "Restart to repair drive errors". This keep happening even if I restart my laptop. Is there a solution to this, is my laptop need a hardware fix?...
  5. Scan drive Error keep occurring

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scan drive Error keep occurring: Hi all, The Scan drive error notification keeps popping up, I already attempt to do the Chkdsk /scan and all its variation, every time when the notification popup, I have to run the scan after restarting my machine it seems like it degrades my machine to the point where I...
  6. About scan drive errors

About scan drive errors: i have lenovo ideapad 330 with windows 10 home. I get notification again and again about scan drive errors. What should i do please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-scan-drive-errors/1ae13bb5-dc0c-480a-b2b0-bb99de9d57c7
  7. Win 10 keeps generating scan drive for errors

Win 10 keeps generating scan drive for errors: Two weeks back, I bought a brand new MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX i5 9th Gen Laptop. It came pre-installed with Win 10 home. It worked fine for a couple of days but then started generating "scan drive for errors" message everytime I booted the laptop. Once I scan the drive, it prompts...
  8. Scan for drive errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scan for drive errors: I had recently experienced a problem with my device. I am unable to understand why it is happening. Initially i got a notification regarding the "scan drive for errors, restart to fix", when i restarted my device it says, repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to...
  9. Performance Issues and Drive Error + Drive scanning gets stuck

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance Issues and Drive Error + Drive scanning gets stuck: Hello everyone, (Long story short: my laptop has been acting very slow lately and there seems to be a problem with my drive. Scanning the drive for errors, and chkdsk, are both getting stuck.) For the last couple of weeks I have been having performance issues on my 2...
  10. Scan drive for errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scan drive for errors: I keep getting a notification to scan drive for errors: [img] It says to "Click to start scan" and it does nothing. I ran Chkdsk /scan as stated in "Event Viewer" and rebooted, but the message does not go away; even after clearing, it comes back. 97759

Users found this page by searching for:

1. notification scan drive for errors