Windows 10: Help logging in with incorrect microsoft account

Discus and support Help logging in with incorrect microsoft account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi everyone, just want to say thanks in advance for your time and effort! These forums are invaluable. I'm trying to do some troubleshooting for my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by TonyG, Feb 2, 2016.

1. TonyG Win User

Help logging in with incorrect microsoft account

Hi everyone, just want to say thanks in advance for your time and effort! These forums are invaluable.

I'm trying to do some troubleshooting for my (very senior) father. I must admit I have little to no experience with windows 10 as all of my machines run 7, so please forgive my confusion. I'll do my best to explain the problem and what I think happened!

A week ago he decided to upgrade their windows 7 desktop (older HP) to windows 10. When asked to log into the new OS instead of choosing a local account he must have chosen to use a Microsoft account (knowing that they use a Hotmail address). For some reason he entered their Hotmail address as ".com" instead of ".ca". I'm not sure how this is possible but in doing so he inadvertently created a new Hotmail account. The problem is that their machine is now stuck at the log in screen showing the wrong (newly created ".com") Hotmail address.

I can't find any way to change the log-in address or switch users etc. If i could simply change it to the correct ".ca" address I could get in as I have the password for that email account. As he's older he doesn't recall creating a new account or have any idea of what the new password would/could be. I've tried the proper password for the ".ca" account as he knows that one but it didn't work.

The only solution I could think of was trying to get into/reset the password for the ".com" account and hope that it syncs with the windows 10 desktop. Luckily I was able to use the recovery address to change the password on the ".com" account to something I know. Their computer is showing up under "devices" connected to that account. I've tried several times over the last day with the new password and still can't log into windows 10. I read on a thread that it sometimes takes a few hours to sync but I've waited plenty long. The machine is plugged into Ethernet with a working connection so it should theoretically sync?

Any advice as to what I can to do get into this computer would be great. Im worried that my dad bricked their machine and will be looking at losing all of their photo's and files etc to a clean install of Windows.

Thanks in advance

Tony

:)

TonyG, Feb 2, 2016

2. Help with Logging into Microsoft Account On Windows 10

Uninstalled Wajam and removed registry references - Klug-ug (Klingon for Success). Was able to verify, sync calendar with outlook, add accounts, and sync OneDrive with phone. I don't think Wajam is a useful program.

Pawn Pusher, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Irnstu Win User
    Help with Logging into Microsoft Account On Windows 10

I have installed Windows 10, everything went well and I can now use it normally. But i signed in using a local account which causes some problems because I can't now log in to the Xbox App.

Whenever I try to sign in to Microsoft account by, a window pops up for about a millisecond (where I presume I'd be asked for the account information) and then it instantly disappears. Can anyone help me?

I have tried looking elsewhere (even second page of Google) but they always talked about forgetting one's password or being blocked, but they didn't talk about not even having the chance to sing in.

Irnstu, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Tony, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

This below may be able to help with your situation.

First, you could reset the password of the new Microsoft account online at Microsoft.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Once finished, you should be able to sign in to the account on the computer once the new password syncs to it.

When you sign in, you can then create a new Microsoft account on the PC with his correct Microsoft account email address.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Afterwards, delete the incorrect account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  5. TonyG Win User
    Thanks for your reply Brink!

Yesterday I did exactly as recommended in the link,
    • Option Three: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    This gave me access to the Microsoft account currently displaying on the windows 10 login screen (as tested by logging into outlook in a web browser). The problem is that it doesn't seem to be syncing to the computer in question as I have tried the newly reset password several times over the last 24 h with no luck. I am confident the computer is connected to a working internet connection.

Anything else I can try?

TonyG, Feb 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sometimes it may take a few days if you had to verify when resetting the password.

If it doesn't sync by then, you may need to reset Windows 10 at boot. During Windows Setup, you could setup a Microsoft account with his correct email address.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  7. TonyG Win User
    Is this common for it to take a few days to sync? I can't find any references to this happening elsewhere on google.

Surely there is another way to access the computer. The reset you recommended would be a total last resort as I don't want to lose all of the information and files on this computer.

TonyG, Feb 2, 2016
  8. Tony K Win User

Hi there. If it doesn't sync then you might try slipping the HD in another system and get the files you need. Then swap it back in and start from scratch.

Tony K, Feb 2, 2016
  9. TonyG Win User
    Brink, I found a work-around you posted a while ago for a similar issue in windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nge-winre.html

Isn't there anything similar for windows 10? For example, I came arcross this method which seems very similar. What are your thoughts on this? I could create a new admin account to at least get into the computer to access everything and make the necessary changes.

https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a...s-10-password/

Thanks for all of your help

*edit* - I apologize if this method is against the forum rules or something but I wasn't able to find anything like it on tenforums.

TonyG, Feb 2, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Tony,

I'm afraid that won't work with a Microsoft account. It'll only work with a local account instead.

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  11. TonyG Win User
    Darn, I thought I might be able to create a new user account and add it to the administrator group to gain access to the computer.

I'll give it another day to see if the password will eventually sync.

Thanks

TonyG, Feb 2, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You might see if you may be able to do OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator account at boot.

If successful, you could sign in to that account to create a new MS account on the PC, and delete the old one.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  13. Tony K Win User

Didn't know that. Thanks, Shawn. *Smile

Tony K, Feb 2, 2016
  14. TonyG Win User
    After waiting a second day the new password must have synced as i was finally able to log in this morning. Thanks for all your help.

TonyG, Feb 3, 2016
  15. Tony K Win User
    *Ditto

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help logging in with incorrect microsoft account - Similar Threads - Help logging incorrect

2. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.: It is a completely fresh install on a completely wiped drive. I have gone through all steps I could find regarding this. Last I tried was messing with netplwiz and that process before I gave in and just started from fresh. only to have the same problem. The big issue is, I...
  3. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.: It is a completely fresh install on a completely wiped drive. I have gone through all steps I could find regarding this. Last I tried was messing with netplwiz and that process before I gave in and just started from fresh. only to have the same problem. The big issue is, I...
  4. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Incorrect password message when trying to log in to Microsoft account in Windows settings

Incorrect password message when trying to log in to Microsoft account in Windows settings: I am running on Windows 10 Pro and I want to log in to my Microsoft account from the Windows settings by clicking Sign In on the profile at the top of the settings. I manage to connect with my password but then the following message shows up :"Next time you sign in to this...
  6. Tried logging into outlook account but password is incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried logging into outlook account but password is incorrect: Hi, I am having problems with my laptop. A problem happened and it keeps going into automatic repair mode and so I'm trying to do a start up repair.The problem:My password won't work no matter how many times I have tried it. I also changed it too and it still says "The...
  7. Tried logging into outlook account but password is incorrect

Tried logging into outlook account but password is incorrect: Hi, I am having problems with my laptop. A problem happened and it keeps going into automatic repair mode and so I'm trying to do a start up repair.The problem:My password won't work no matter how many times I have tried it. I also changed it too and it still says "The...
  8. Tried logging into outlook account but password is incorrect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Cannot log into microsoft account because password is incorrect. Cannot reset password...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot log into microsoft account because password is incorrect. Cannot reset password...: I am trying to install Windows on a new hard drive. Unsurprisingly, Windows/MSFT are doing their utmost to make me regret this decision every step of the way. When it comes to the step where I'm supposed to sign into my Microsoft account, it will not accept my correct...
  10. Incorrect default Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect default Microsoft account: When I select from windows 10 Settings, accounts the default email address/outlook account it links to is the wrong outlook account. How do I change it?...