Windows 10: Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen)

Discus and support Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. My Windows Spotlight has stopped working on one of my work pcs and I haven't been unable to repair it. Ran this batch file (as admin) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by eLPuSHeR, Nov 26, 2017.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen)

Hello.

My Windows Spotlight has stopped working on one of my work pcs and I haven't been unable to repair it.

Ran this batch file (as admin) and it worked for another pc, but it doesn't work on this pc.

Any ideas. Running latest Win10 16299.64

:)

eLPuSHeR, Nov 26, 2017

2. auto log off windows 10

I experienced this same issue and fixed it by changing the lock screen image back to the windows spotlight. It seems the slideshow option for the lock screen caused it for me.

thedexmonster, Nov 26, 2017
  3. Lockscreen stuck on Windows Spotlight and it will not change off of it on Windows 10

Old title: Windows 10

I have had this issue since around the time Windows 10 was released and Microsoft answer desk tech support is useless as they are unable to fix my problem that I have. I hope someone out there has experienced the same problem and is able to help me fix it.
    My lock screen is stuck on Windows Spotlight and it will not change off of it. I want it changed to a picture lock screen background but, I am unable to do that since it is stuck on the Windows spotlight lock screen. The options I have for the lock screen
    are the options for the slideshow lock screen option and it is set on windows spotlight and I am UNABLE to change it off of that. Whenever I try to it always just jumps back to windows spotlight and won't stay set. The weird part is that it is only on one
    user account, all of my other user accounts are unaffected. I have tried everything and can not fix it and Microsoft have tried and thought they fixed it but really they didn't they just claimed they did. They won't even admit to their windows 10 being flawed
    and having bugs in it which is sad. I really hope one of you guys out there can help me with this problem.

williamjrg, Nov 26, 2017
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

eLPuSHeR, Nov 26, 2017
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Well I got some ideas after reading some threads about this. The only thing I have left to try is exporting reg keys from the working pc to the non-working one to see what happens. I will check the Windows Search Service too (and restart it if needed) to be sure.

eLPuSHeR, Nov 26, 2017
  6. I hope that you get your issue resolved. I do not use Spotlight.

Josey Wales, Nov 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Spotlight has always been 'fragile'. Some changes to Spotlight seem to have been made in the FCU (1709, build 16299). For the first time ever my Spotlight picture appears on a start up (previously a restart showed a picture, usually the 'cave'). It also seems to have become more fragile. So far Brink's tutorial that you used has fixed it for me every time it stopped working.

A couple of things I've noticed. First, it's vital not to skip step 2 from the tutorial.
    Second, it can take a minute or two before it starts working again. Presumably because it needs to repopulate its stock of images. If you have a metered connection, best to turn off metering for a while to let it download some fresh images.

8. jasonx3 Win User

I spoke too soon. it's broken already and back to default lake and mountain view login screen.

jasonx3, Nov 27, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, that's happened a few times for me in 1709, most recently today in fact (coincidence? Maybe it's a glitch at the server end?). Brink's tutorial has always got it working again.

10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Guys. I have been unable to fix spotlight on this pc. I have tried everything I have read here and elsewhere. I have even imported the Lock Screen registry keys from a working spotlight pc to this one (changing the AppData paths of course). Nothing. I think it's time for a clean installation of FCU when I have the time.

eLPuSHeR, Nov 28, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    My pc worked fine with FCU, showing my selected picture when I upgraded from CU to FCU, then out of interest I decided to look at spotlight, and then I changed back, and I am no back to AU issue where it did not show the Users picture if you autologin. I do not know how MS can make such a hash of what should be a relatively simple option.

cereberus, Nov 28, 2017
  12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    It seems that Windows Spotlight is a hit and miss feature (more miss than hit actually). Since I have updated w10 fcu to build 16299.98 spotlight has stopped working again. And today I have fresh installed w10 on a laptop and I haven't been unable to see Spotlight working, ever.

PS - OK, it came to life on my house pc after re-registering it again using the batch file posted by Shawn Brink. Shame on you MS. It seems that, for whatever reason, Spotlight data/cache get corrupted/bloated and the feature is unable to auto-repair itself. *Mad

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen) - Similar Threads - Help fixing Spotlight

2. Fix the lock screen using windows spotlight.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fix the lock screen using windows spotlight.: I very much like the windows spotlight for my lockscreen, but lately it doesn't change everyday or offers up only the same 3 pictures. How do I fix this? I have tried changing my timeout time. Saying I don't like the picture I do but comes back usually the next day. I truly...
  3. Fix the lock screen using windows spotlight.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix the lock screen using windows spotlight.: I very much like the windows spotlight for my lockscreen, but lately it doesn't change everyday or offers up only the same 3 pictures. How do I fix this? I have tried changing my timeout time. Saying I don't like the picture I do but comes back usually the next day. I truly...
  4. Fix the lock screen using windows spotlight.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lock screen Windows Spotlight not working but just for me.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen Windows Spotlight not working but just for me.: The Windows Spotlight on the lock screen is not working, I have the default blue wavy lines.I did a sfc and it did come back for about 2 changes then went back to the blue wavy lines again.BUT I have a second account on my laptop for my partner and if I switch to that it has...
  6. Lock screen Windows Spotlight not working but just for me.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen Windows Spotlight not working but just for me.: The Windows Spotlight on the lock screen is not working, I have the default blue wavy lines.I did a sfc and it did come back for about 2 changes then went back to the blue wavy lines again.BUT I have a second account on my laptop for my partner and if I switch to that it has...
  7. Spotlight Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spotlight Lock Screen: Hi everybody, I know we can't personalize the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen. It would be better if we could at least choose a preferred theme. I like these landscapes, however, if I had a choice, I would prefer painting.Thanks....
  8. Spotlight Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotlight Lock Screen: Hi everybody, I know we can't personalize the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen. It would be better if we could at least choose a preferred theme. I like these landscapes, however, if I had a choice, I would prefer painting.Thanks....
  9. Lock Screen - Windows Spotlight

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen - Windows Spotlight: I have been getting the Windows Spotlight lock screen pictures, which are beautiful and interesting, until recently. In lock screen settings I have set it to Windows Spotlight, but I am not getting them anymore. What happened? How can I continue to get the lock screen...
  10. Windows Spotlight/Lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Spotlight/Lock screen: Got two Win 10 Pro x64 systems in full time use, a laptop and a desktop. On the desktop the Lock screen is working as it should in default config - a new high def picture every few days, some of them quite beautiful. However on the laptop the picture never changes. I've...