Windows 10: Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD

Discus and support Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Kari, Thanks for pointing me to Macrium Reflect. My machine was stuck in Blue Screen unable to get beyond Recovery Boot. With Macrium, the machine is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CigarXO, Nov 6, 2016.

1. CigarXO Win User

Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD

Kari,
    Thanks for pointing me to Macrium Reflect. My machine was stuck in Blue Screen unable to get beyond Recovery Boot. With Macrium, the machine is running the installed WIN10 OS on the SSD, I've moved the User Directory to the SSD (C*Smile and WIN10 seems a bit more stable as indicated by switching among Users, stable apps and access to startup/diagnostic tools. If I'd found Macrium a year ago, it would have been a much easier WIN10 experience.

Out of curiosity I ran the bcd cmds again with these results:

Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD [​IMG]

The move of Users back to C: has left me with a clean HDD (D*Smile which I plan to use for Data, Docs, Music, Photos - the records a family usually collects. I'll do this by relocating the User file locations with Properties. It would be a good time to correctly partition the drive before moving folders. Can you point me to a good instructional thread - or do I just Reformat the drive?

I would appreciate this info because I have a second computer I just replaced a MB, upgraded CPU and installed SSD. I'm confused about how/what to do with partitioning after using the Samsung Data Migration tool to clone the HDD to SSD. Now the HDD has recovery and

Thanks so much!
    Jeff
    Family IT Officer

CigarXO, Nov 26, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

Good to know you got it fixed.

Bootrec command is not a Windows command per se, it's not present in Windows, giving the error message shown in your screenshot when entered in Command Prompt when Windows is booted normally. It's only present in Windows recovery console, when Command Prompt is launched after computer has been booted to recovery console. Therefore it cannot be used when Windows is booted normally.

Thema:

Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD

1. Help moving User Directory back to primary OS SSD drive from data HDD - Similar Threads - Help moving User

2. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  3. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  4. Move my OS from HDD to SSD

Move my OS from HDD to SSD: If I move my OS to my SSD from my HDD, whether I decide to clone the hard drive or do a clean Reinstall, will it still recognize my desktop? like will all of my applications still be installed and will all of my games be installed along with all of my save files and/or memory...
  5. Moving OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OS from HDD to SSD: I want to change my laptop from HDD to SSD, but how about my windows and the license? can i move it using a tool to copy it and paste to the SSD? im the second owner of this laptop....
  6. Moving my OS from HDD to SSD

Moving my OS from HDD to SSD: Hey guys, Doing a massive overhaul of my computer and finally moving my OS to my HDD to SSD. New everything, the only things I am keeping is my power supply and HDD. I read that to do it without wiping, I'd need a cloning tool. However, I don't care enough about that. All...
  7. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  8. Move my os from a HDD into a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move my os from a HDD into a SSD: Greetings. What's the best FREE tool/method to simply move the os from a 1tb HDD into a 120gb SSD? I don't need to save personal files or anything since the HDD will remain as a secondary drive. But almost every single guide I found is suggesting using a paid software (like...
  9. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD: Got a SSD and I only want to move the operating system to the SSD. So, question one is 1. How do I move only the OS to the SSD? I haven't done anything like this for a L O O O N G time. In fact, not since DOS. Back then there was a problem with what I'm trying to do...
  10. move windows os from ssd to hdd

move windows os from ssd to hdd: How to move windows os from ssd to hdd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-os-from-ssd-to-hdd/bb3498ed-d913-4da0-b429-c86bfcd6ad21