Windows 10: HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install

Discus and support HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Fixing a friends older PC. There are two physical hard drives in the computer and I am going to completely format and reinstall Windows10 due to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LadyDee, May 27, 2018.

1. LadyDee Win User

HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install

Fixing a friends older PC. There are two physical hard drives in the computer and I am going to completely format and reinstall Windows10 due to the 1803 failure on that machine (can't get into literally anything now).

So, the PC has 2 hard drives but boots from the smallest one. I want to format and install on the larger drive this time. Can I simply pick the larger drive as the install drive and it becomes the correct disc and boots correctly.

Does the MBR go on the correct drive and make it the bootable drive. Yes, I will fix the BIOS accordingly.

Is that all it takes and the drives do not need to be taken out and physically reversed? IOW, the boot becomes the hard drive no matter where it is connected with the install pointed to it and the BIOS is changed?

Thanks

:)

LadyDee, May 27, 2018

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home Global Support

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, May 29, 2018
  3. Problems installing new hard drive

Hello,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 29, 2018
Thema:

HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install

1. HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install - Similar Threads - HELP Multiple hard

2. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive: I am performing a fresh install for somebody on a new hard drive. Their last hard drive basically died, but I was able to pull the user file out of it. When I went to put the hard drive into their computer, I was getting a boot device not found error. I brought the hard drive...
  3. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive: I am performing a fresh install for somebody on a new hard drive. Their last hard drive basically died, but I was able to pull the user file out of it. When I went to put the hard drive into their computer, I was getting a boot device not found error. I brought the hard drive...
  4. Help please installing hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help please installing hard drive: So, I have an Asus E402s, which had no memory on it. I think it came with none? Anyway, I thought I needed to buy a SSD hard drive and clone kit and clone the hard drive then swap it out for the hard drive inside. I did the clone but when I took the back off (as you all...
  5. Multiple Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Hard Drives: I have a second hard drive in computer that is setup for D: drive. Windows decided that D: drive is a music file and thus whenever I access files on that drive I cannot see file extensions and dates. Windows brings up the music tools options and the file headers are artist,...
  6. fresh install help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    fresh install help: okay, so I've been having some strange issues with lots of things, specifically in multiple games, and specifically R6S having mouse input lag. I think I just need a fresh install. I have a HDD and an SSD both 1TB and the HDD currently just has a backup on it, so could I...
  7. installing windows 10 with multiple hard drives installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing windows 10 with multiple hard drives installed: I am going to do a fresh install windows of Win 10 on my computer which was running Win 7. I have 3 hard drives installed. Windows will be installed on my c Drive and my D and E drive have a lot of saved graphics on them. Will Windows only install itself on the C drive or...
  8. BSOD fresh install on new hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD fresh install on new hard drive: Hi, I have been getting the VERY FUN irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD after doing a fresh install on a brand new SSD. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing the BSOD. Here are the files: DESKTOP-T065BLG-2018-12-17_131645_32.zip 123637
  9. Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive: Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than the one I'm using, my mind is telling me it should be fine as the Upgrade happened all on the same hardware, but changing the...
  10. Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive: My friend has an AIO desktop computer that came with Win 8 and updated to 8.1 and finally Windows 10. She had many problems with Windows 10 and her daughter wiped the hard drive clean and the computer has been sitting there doing nothing since Dec 2016 I suspect she can...