Windows 10: help needed sharing devices over WiFi

Discus and support help needed sharing devices over WiFi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I am new to the forum, new to Windows 10, and new to networking! So I hope someone can help... I will provide tech specs as/when required, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015.

1. RedBeki Win User

help needed sharing devices over WiFi

Hi.
    I am new to the forum, new to Windows 10, and new to networking! So I hope someone can help...

I will provide tech specs as/when required, but put simply my problem is as follows:
    I have a PC and a laptop, both running Windows 10. When they are both connected to my router via etehernet I can share files and folders on both (e.g. I can play the music stored on my PC via my laptop) However, and soon as I unplug the cable from my laptop I cannot access the PC. Although my laptop is still connected to the router wirelessly.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing? I want to be able to listen to my music stored on my PC via my laptop without being connected into the router

Thankyou in advance.
    Beki *Smile

:)

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  2. 93tid Win User

How do you connect Lumia 635 phone to a WIN 10 PC, via WiFi?

You cannot natively connect a PC to a Windows Phone over wifi except to tether, i.e. use the phone's mobile data connection from the PC over a wifi connection ("Internet Sharing").

You cannot see it or add it as a "connected" device, access or move files or do anything at all over wifi.

93tid, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Nokia Lumia 800 Bluetooth does not pair with other mobile phone

Hi Stevie,

That is correct. There is no Bluetooth profile for device to device. There are Audio and headset profiles available.

However if your carrier support internet thethering true wifi hotspot you can use this setting on your Lumia 800 to share your internet data over wifi with other wifi capable devices.

Johan van Mierlo, Aug 24, 2015
  4. help needed sharing devices over WiFi

With the laptop plugged in, go into the Network and Sharing center. I assume you see two networks listed , one public and one private?

sciencegeek, Aug 24, 2015
  5. RedBeki Win User
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply...
    This is what I have:

help needed sharing devices over WiFi [​IMG]

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Can you click on the "change advanced sharing settings" in network and sharing center and post that screenshot?

7. RedBeki Win User
    Hi, sure...

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  8. help needed sharing devices over WiFi

Can you now post the screenshot in "Change advanced sharing settings" with the laptop not plugged in?

9. RedBeki Win User
    No problem...

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  10. Those look fine. Just a few questions now. With the laptop unplugged, can the PC still access the laptop? I know the laptop can't access the PC with the laptop unplugged.

11. RedBeki Win User
    Yes. When the PC is wired or wireless it can access the wireless laptop.

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  12. Are you running internet security software on the PC? I see Avira on your laptop, but I've never used Avira so is Avira an antivirus or internet security software? If you are running security software on the PC, there should be a way to temporarily disable it and then see if access to the PC returns.

13. RedBeki Win User

Avira is antivirus-
    I am running Avira antivirus and Windows Firewall on the laptop, and AVG Internet Security on the PC.
    I disabled all of the above in order to see if one of these was causing the issue, as you suggested, by process of elimination. I don't know how or why but strangely this process itself seems to have fixed the problem... I have all three security programmes running again and the laptop is now picking up the PC! (both of which are now wireless)

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
  14. I would have suspected the AVG Internet Security on the PC as most likely the PC was blocking. Probably when you disabled and reenabled the security software, it saw the new IP address on your network and automatically added exceptions to allow traffic through. Glad everything's back to normal.

15. RedBeki Win User
    Thankyou so much for your help! It was driving me nuts!

I have the same problem with my printer.... the wireless laptop can't see it - it is not showing up as a device on the network, can you help?

RedBeki, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

1. help needed sharing devices over WiFi - Similar Threads - help needed sharing

2. Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable: Objective? I'm trying to set up my Windows 10 computer to share it's wifi connection with another computer that is connected to it through an ethernet cable. Most instructions I've found on this topic tell you to get the wifi properties" > "sharing" tab. Although at that...
  3. Disable file sharing over multiple devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable file sharing over multiple devices: I recently bought a new laptop for school and used the same microsoft account as that for my desktop pc. But I now have all the games and stuff I have on my pc`s desktop also on my laptop as browser shrotcuts, if I try to delete these shortcuts the shortcuts also get deleted...
  4. Can't share cellular Internet over WiFi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't share cellular Internet over WiFi: I have a Thinkpad T450s with Sierra wireless with "unlimited bandwidth" contract, but sharing over WiFi doesn't let Internet connection. How the can I mask the shared WiFi that makes the celular believe that only the laptop is connected? submitted by /u/arima0k [link]...
  5. Need help with network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with network sharing: Hi I'm using a program called pdanet+ so that I can play on my ps4 and I have 2 laptops One has windows 10 and one has windows 8 The windows 8 laptop is from 2014 but it does a faster job than my beefy windows 10 laptop is there any way to make my windows 10 laptop make a...
  6. wifi hotspot sharing to other devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    wifi hotspot sharing to other devices: I accidently disabled virtual ethernet 2 connection off of networks settings screen. now i cant activate wifi hot spot on my hp15 windows 10 laptop. im trying to share my wifi thru my laptop to other devices. i press turn on hotspot and it says sorry we cannot start hotspot....
  7. Sharing folder over network with specific devices.

Sharing folder over network with specific devices.: Hi all, I recently setup a NAS server and i need to share the files on this pc with another pc on the network. I live in a shared house so i dont want to share the files with ever computer. Scenario: PC1: NAS server with files (all in one folder)i want to share with...
  8. Shared files over wifi

Shared files over wifi: Have 2 pcs running Windows 10 pro. The once with router & LAN cable can see shared files on the other but the one which uses wifi can't see shared files on the other, although it can connect to the internet. Help!...
  9. Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.

Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.: Hello, I have some laptops and computers in my office. Suddenly out of the blue today, network sharing has stopped working on WiFi devices but is working fine on wired devices. Why is this happening? I didn't change any setting. I tried restarting the router and laptops...
  10. Sharing over WiFi

Sharing over WiFi: At present working with one machine connected to router wired and one over WiFi. With ver 1803 and both Function Discovery services set to Auto Start Delayed getting to wired works like a charm. The wired machine can see the WiFi shared drive but, get access denied. Is there...