Windows 10: Help needed with Windows 10 laptop that will not boot.

Discus and support Help needed with Windows 10 laptop that will not boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Trying to help a friend fix a sick laptop. It will not boot to Windows 10. I keep getting the blue screen with the message that a boot disk could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bartatranch, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Help needed with Windows 10 laptop that will not boot.

Trying to help a friend fix a sick laptop. It will not boot to Windows 10. I keep getting the blue screen with the message that a boot disk could not be found. The hard drive is still in working order and the files are still accessible through booting to LINUX on a pen drive.

I have tried a couple of rescue utilities that are supposed to fix the boot process. These have not solved the problem.

Is there away to use a backup of the Window 10 files to recreate his system. Maybe overwriting a clean Windows 10 install.

:)

bartatranch, Oct 31, 2017

2. Replacement USB Plug needed that will work with Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with your computer.

I would suggest you to follow the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/wireless-desktop-3000/mfc-00001

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist

you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 31, 2017
  3. Replacement USB Plug needed that will work with Windows 10

I have lost my USB plug for my Microsoft Wireless Key Board 3000. I would like to replace it but cannot find a source where I can purchase it. Would any one out there in the community have any idea where I could locate one?

Thank you in advance as I have always gotten good answers in the past!

DMD

DwightDonnelly, Oct 31, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Help needed with Windows 10 laptop that will not boot.

"The hard drive is still in working order and the files are still accessible through booting to LINUX on a pen drive."

Back these up immediately !

"Is there away to use a backup of the Window 10 files to recreate his system."

Can you get to the Advanced Repair Options by holding down power button as soon as you see the manufacturer's logo appear, repeating 3 times until the options console appears ? Then you can attempt a Reset of Windows or System Restore.
    Otherwise, not unless they have a system image like Macrium Reflect. Do a clean install per Brink's tutorial here after you've salvaged the personal data on an external drive. Good Luck -
    Clean Install Windows 10

mrgeek, Oct 31, 2017
  5. The built in restore/repair features don't solve the problem. I should have added that I am trying to preserve the installed apps and data, so I don't want to do a full reinstall and lose them.

bartatranch, Oct 31, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    1) create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    2) Use the applicable keyboard key to boot to the external USB hard drive:
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    3) It may take 5 -10 minutes viewing the Windows icon for the iso to load.
    4) Choose language, time, currency, and keyboard
    5) Do not click install as this is the method to delete partitions, format, make an unallocated drive and install windows 10.
    6) Look in the lower left corner and click repair your computer
    7) This should open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu on the Windows 10 iso.
    8) First try system restore. Make sure you view all restore points and select the oldest one and keep moving to a more recent date until you find a restore point that works. If none of the restore points work or if there are no restore points move to the next step.
    8) Next try startup repair
    9) If the above steps do not work open command prompt > administrator X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe >
    type: sfc /scannow
    (report the results into the thread).
    If all of the above fail to correct the underlying problem there are more troubleshooting steps.

If you can boot to Ubuntu/Linux please use HD Sentinel and run a test on the drive. Please post the results into the thread with images of overview, and smart tabs. If you are able to click on disk and run the surface scan please post an image into the thread.

zbook, Oct 31, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    If the above doesn't help, do as zbook describes. Once at the command prompt, enter these commands:

bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Restart and see if the system will boot now.

Ztruker, Oct 31, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

If I had to guess, the hard drive is on its last legs. Order a SSD, preferably one of the Samsung 3D drives like the 850 Evo and take the other drive and place in a external enclosure so that you can pull the data. At some point that old drive will freeze up and you will not get anything off of it. I would also suggest to store your needed files up on a NAS, along with a second copy on a Cloud drive.

bro67, Oct 31, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

zbook, Oct 31, 2017
  10. Step 1. Boot PC with Windows Installation Media

1) Create a Windows Installation Media.
    2) Change the boot sequence in BIOS and then boot your PC from the bootable disk.

Step 2. Open Windows Advanced Options menu

1) In Windows Setup page, press "Next" button.
    2) Then select the "Repair your computer" option
    3) In Windows Boot Options menu, choose Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options.

Step 3. Try different options to fix Windows 10 won't boot or start after update problem

Fix#1. In Windows Advanced Options menu, choose "Command Prompt" option to open the command line, here, type: sfc / scannow and press "Enter" button. It will scan system files and repair the errors or corruptions it has found. When it finished, restart your computer when the process is finished.

Fix#2. In Windows Advanced Options menu, choose " Startup Repair" option. Next, select the target operating system to fix. Windows will initiate the repair and then restart.

Fix#3. In Windows Advanced Options menu, choose "System Restore" option. Next, select a previous working state (date) to restore your computer. Wait until Windows restores your system and restart.

Sometimes, it is possible that System File Checker doesn’t help, Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically, System Restore gets stuck at restoring your previous version of Windows screen and can’t complete.

robertosburn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help needed with Windows 10 laptop that will not boot. - Similar Threads - Help needed laptop

2. cannot boot into windows 10 need help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot boot into windows 10 need help?: our church has an dell computer upgraded from window 8.1 to windows 10 something happened power failure now we cannot boot into windows 10 need help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-into-windows-10-need-help/e352f4cd-2717-424d-9b89-6d49ee49cc56
  3. cannot boot into windows 10 need help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot boot into windows 10 need help?: our church has an dell computer upgraded from window 8.1 to windows 10 something happened power failure now we cannot boot into windows 10 need help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-into-windows-10-need-help/e352f4cd-2717-424d-9b89-6d49ee49cc56
  4. cannot boot into windows 10 need help?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can’t boot windows 10, need help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t boot windows 10, need help?: Greetings, Turned on my Windows 10 PC and it cannot get past the login screen? The login screen shows a giant white “not responding” style image with the text “windows sign in”, but if I hit a key, or try to ctrl+alt+delete, the screen just goes to black. Cannot get around...
  6. Need help on booting windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help on booting windows: Hello, i need help on booting windows 10 on my laptop. Yesterday i’m changing some of the msconfig setting on boot, i use the “selective booting” one and default, after i restart my laptop it stop booting and some error code appear : 0xc000000e and said that my laptop need...
  7. Need help booting up windows 10 from USB on laptop!!!!!

Need help booting up windows 10 from USB on laptop!!!!!: submitted by /u/1hunnitracksss [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghuesc/need_help_booting_up_windows_10_from_usb_on_laptop/
  8. Need help with windows 10 laptop

Need help with windows 10 laptop: Okay so I bought a new mouse from Amazon a few weeks ago and when I first plugged it in to my laptop the lights on the mouse lit up but the cursor did not move and after looking around online I removed a setting that can disable usb when laptop is in low battery and left the...
  9. Need help can't boot into windows 10

Need help can't boot into windows 10: I have accidentally deleted the CD /DVD option from the boot option menu and now there is no way to install Windows in UEFI mode. So, I have to change to legacy mode whenever I insert windows disk and because of this ,windows setup load in legacy while my hard disk is in UEFI...
  10. need help booting my windows 10

need help booting my windows 10: when i turn in my pc it says "preparing automatic repair" it starts loading then after its done it goes to a black screen submitted by /u/i-love-minecraft-hoe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8l0iu/need_help_booting_my_windows_10/