Windows 10: Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!!

Discus and support Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I can't understand this at all but any network Gurus out there Got rid of 4 X LAN 100 metre cables which went into an AC 1900 nighthawk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!!

Hi there

I can't understand this at all but any network Gurus out there

Got rid of 4 X LAN 100 metre cables which went into an AC 1900 nighthawk extender - which connected to my main ISP router via wi fi on 5GHZ band (temporary solution until I can lay a decent Lan cable direct from main ISP supplied router to computer area - approx. 100 metres from main router). Still using the extender until I connect 1 LAN cable from network switch direct to home router.

With the Network switch (small netgear 5 port 1 Gb/s switch) connection is nearly 200 Mb/s down on all 4 computers connected via the switch.

Using 4 separate LAN cables ( i.e without the network switch piece of kit) into the AC 1900 nighthawk extender it's about 113 Mb/s down.

What gives!!! can't understand why a single LAN connection switched between 4 computers with a Netgear network switch should be a load faster than 4 separate cables -- not complaining though . I'd still like to know if there's any sensible explanation for this behaviour. If so why isn't everybody using these types of LAN switches -- they are cheap enough !! and save loads of cable wiring.

I've studied Engineering at Uni and Physics too but I'm at a loss to explain this --and performance is DEFINITELY better - no question on that.

Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!! [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2018

2. packet data wont turn off when connected to wifi

The fact that the phone shows the speed capabilities of the network has nothing to do with it actually using the network data connection.

If you see an improved network data speed in places where you had a lower speed, it might just mean your network provider just added another antenna in the vicinity or did some other upgrades.

Cinderella RT, Jan 22, 2018
  3. how we ca measure in Kbps? in the microsoft speed test app

Hello Uthaya,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Are you referring to Network Speed Test?

Network Speed Test can provide you detailed information about the upload and download speeds of your internet connections. The App also maintains a history of the internet connections you’ve tested for easy comparison. When you test a network connection
    using the App, certain characteristics of your device and the network connection will be sent to Microsoft to help improve our understanding of network quality and availability. If you consent, we may also collect information about your location at the time
    of the test. The data we collect is not associated with you, and will not be used to identify or contact you or for other purposes like targeted marketing.

However Network Speed Test app by default measures your connection speed in
    Mbps, meaning Megabits Per Second. Mbps is the ISP industry-standard, which is easy to compare your results with your broadband plan's speed. Moreover there is no option to measure the speed in
    Kbps in Network Speed Test app.

Suggest you to post your feedback on this, which helps us to improve your experience. I appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!!

1. Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!! - Similar Threads - Help Network Gurus

2. How to improve network speed using SMB compression in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to improve network speed using SMB compression in Windows 11: [ATTACH]SMB, or Server Message Block, is a protocol used to transfer files over a network. Then comes SMB Compression which compresses file size to make sure large file transfer can speed up further. The advantage of using SMB compression is that you do not need to use any...
  3. Lots of Issues with PC Since Upgrading Network Speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lots of Issues with PC Since Upgrading Network Speeds: Hello all! I recently got the Altice Gigabit Upgrade and since then my PC has been acting really strange. Can't download Windows updates or apps from the Microsoft Store, web surfing and doing stuff like Discord works fine, but certain games like Forza can't connect online....
  4. Network connection speed is slow, how to improve?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network connection speed is slow, how to improve?: I recently bought a new server. It has a Gigabit speed network card. I also have a laptop with a 10/100 card in it. When using remote desktop to transfer files to the server, the speed is only 2-3 MB. I have checked both cards setup, and they are the only two devices on the...
  5. Help with drop in network speeds

Help with drop in network speeds: Hi All, I'm looking for some help with my laptops connection, regardless of whether I use Wifi or Ethernet, it seems to not go faster than 150mbps. I know for a fact a few months back it would easily reach 250mbps on Wifi alone. I have a Killer E3000 Ethernet controller and...
  6. Any Network Gurus here -- What is this !!

Any Network Gurus here -- What is this !!: deleted -- posted duplicate --keyboard !!!!!! 154103
  7. Networking Gurus - what does this mean -- help

Networking Gurus - what does this mean -- help: Hi folks Although this is from a Linux VM I'm sure any networking guru would know what the screenshot displays --where I've got the question marks. [img] Can anybody explain what it actually means in plain English (or Icelandic if you prefer !!). I assume TX means...
  8. Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server

Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server: Hi there @ network gurus Any decent SIMPLE ( like class 101 for idiots !!) instructions on how to set up a decent proxy server on a home network. Messing around protecting 8 - 10 individual machines on a home LAN is getting tiresome - and I want to make the system...
  9. Network Speed

Network Speed: I use a program "Network Speed Test" from the Windows Store to measure my network speed. EVERY time I use the program for the first time I get an answer for the download speed of about 30 Mbps. the following times I launch the program I ALWAYS get an answer of about 200...
  10. Help - Network Gurus there Can't access W10 machine from another W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help - Network Gurus there Can't access W10 machine from another W10: Hi there Going BONKERS over this (Build 10166) Two computers on a LAN REDSQUIRREL running W10 PRO X-64 on a physical laptop logged on with a LOCAL account, BLACKDOG running W10 Enterprise X-64 with an Ms account. 1) REDSQUIRREL does not even SEE BLACKDOG....