Windows 10: Help rebooting without monitor

Discus and support Help rebooting without monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need help doing a factory reset on my laptop, the screen is broke and I've got it connected to a monitor, however when I initialise the factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RenegadeMaster9, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Help rebooting without monitor

I need help doing a factory reset on my laptop, the screen is broke and I've got it connected to a monitor, however when I initialise the factory reset, the monitor goes black and I can't go any further. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

:)

RenegadeMaster9, Dec 10, 2016

2. Using laptop as desktop - can't wake it from sleep with wireless mouse or keyboard.

• 4. Test waking from Sleep with the monitor connected to the laptop.
    • 5. Disconnect the monitor from the laptop, reboot, then test waking from Sleep without an external monitor.

No luck with monitor connected. Disconnected the monitor, rebooted, then tested wake-from-sleep with no external monitor - no luck.

eljaycanuck, Dec 10, 2016
  3. John Zab Win User
    Trying to use two monitors

Thank you for letting us know. In helping you fix the issue regarding dual monitor toggling, you can try these following methods:

Method 1: Update drivers.

In your case, we can still check for driver updates with your device manufacturer. This covers all updates, device manufacturers can also provide latest and most compatible updates to your PC.

Method 2: Reboot without external monitor attached.

Reboot without the external monitor then attach the external monitor and close the laptop lid.

Method 3: Adjust and match the resolution on both laptop and external monitor.

Ensure that resolution on both screens match.

Keep us posted.

John Zab, Dec 10, 2016
  4. labeeman Win User

Help rebooting without monitor

Did you try closing the laptop in order to disable the laptop display. The recover program does not have drivers for the external display you may be out of luck.

labeeman, Dec 10, 2016
  5. MCK
    mck Win User
    Try pressing the fn+F4 or fn+F8 keys to switch to the external monitor. (Or fn+which ever function key that shows rectangles (monitor) on it.) You may have to tap the F4 or F8 key a couple of times to switch to the external monitor.

Also post the type of laptop you have for more possible help.

Thema:

Help rebooting without monitor

1. Help rebooting without monitor - Similar Threads - Help rebooting without

2. Repair disk without rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair disk without rebooting: Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose files, is it possible to repair the disk without rebooting? Please help :...
  3. Repair disk without rebooting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair disk without rebooting: Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose files, is it possible to repair the disk without rebooting? Please help :...
  4. Update Reboots without Warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Reboots without Warning: The Windows 10 operating system needs an internet connection to function at its best.This means that all updates are downloaded and installed at random times, as soon as they are made available; and the installation is followed by a reboot.This reboot could take place without...
  5. Update Reboots without Warning

Update Reboots without Warning: The Windows 10 operating system needs an internet connection to function at its best.This means that all updates are downloaded and installed at random times, as soon as they are made available; and the installation is followed by a reboot.This reboot could take place without...
  6. Update Reboots without Warning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. USB-C dock will reconnect monitor but not USB mouse and keyboard without reboot

USB-C dock will reconnect monitor but not USB mouse and keyboard without reboot: This is an error I have experienced on multiple laptops and with multiple brands of docks and I can't seem to find a solution but maybe someone here knows one.After a fresh reboot of my laptop I plug it into my USB-C dock the dock is connected to a monitor with HDMI, mouse...
  8. USB-C dock will reconnect monitor but not USB mouse and keyboard without reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C dock will reconnect monitor but not USB mouse and keyboard without reboot: This is an error I have experienced on multiple laptops and with multiple brands of docks and I can't seem to find a solution but maybe someone here knows one.After a fresh reboot of my laptop I plug it into my USB-C dock the dock is connected to a monitor with HDMI, mouse...
  9. USB-C dock will reconnect monitor but not USB mouse and keyboard without reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. System reboot without acknowledging

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System reboot without acknowledging: My PC had an unexpected reboot today. After checking the event log and analyzing the dump file, I found a software called TIM had a stack-based buffer overrun, which is a Tencent product. Is this software trying to get administrator privilege? Attached is the dump file:...