Windows 10: Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

Discus and support Help required, enabling an external USB HDD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, My wife is currently using build 10130, and is trying to use her SATA HDD (which was her 2nd HDD) externally, with a SATA to USB adapter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bristolian, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

Hello,

My wife is currently using build 10130, and is trying to use her SATA HDD (which was her 2nd HDD) externally, with a SATA to USB adapter.
    However, on plugging the HDD in, all that shows as new in Devices and Printers is the following "USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge". The HDD that she is trying to access doesn't appear at all.

The adapter has one SATA connector, and two USB connectors. All are plugged in, and there are two small LEDs for Power and Access. The Power LED is lit steady, however the Access LED is unlit. I've just tried on my Win 7 PC, and have exactly the same symptoms. Can anyone please suggest a fix?

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

:)

Bristolian, Jun 22, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Installing Win10 Anniversary Update on device with less than 16GB free main disk drive

Hi! I've 2:1 device with 28GB HDD, C:,, of which 7GB are free.

I run Win10 1511 on the device.

I've a SD card in the device with 30GB, of which 19GB are free.

I've also external USB HDD with 1TB.

When I tried to install Win 10 Anniversary Update, the upgrade client required that I've 16GB free on the C: and didn't have an option to use nor the SD card, nor external USB HDD.

Can you help me how to install Windows Anniversary Update?

Thanks,

TeodorMilev, Jun 22, 2015
  4. Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

Please point me to the adapter information and the disk drive information. If the HDD is over 2 TB, the adapter controller might not have the address capability for the HDD.

Did the adapter come with a driver disk? Was the driver installed?

If you connect the HDD bac into the machine as the 2nd drive, is all well?

It's possible that the adapter is just defective.

Slartybart, Jun 22, 2015
  5. Hello,

The HDD is 'only' a 1 TB unit, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. The adaptor is this one - WMA USB 2.0 to SATA Serial ATA 15+7 22P Adapter Cable For 2.5" HDD Laptop Hard Drive.

We tried to use the HDD externally, as we cannot access the contents of the HDD with Windows 10, despite taking ownership of it, and changing the permissions for the various files and folders contained within, hence our taking it out, and buying an adapter to try and read it that way. Guess we'll look for another adapter!

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Bristolian, Jun 22, 2015
  6. Thanks Bob,

We lost power for a few days, sorry for the delay in a reply.

Did you mean We tried to use the HDD internally, as we cannot access the contents of the HDD with Windows 10?

A quick look at the specs (Amazon seller) states: Support Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista - except for Vista, those OSes predate the current age (Vista ushered in the current age *Wink ).

I also notice that the specs state supports hot swapping - I'm not sure what that means as a cable goes, but ......

Here's the manual for your HDD - use this to ask questions of the seller or contact Seagate for a USB -> Serial ATA cable recommnedation

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100507013c.pdf

IT's probably just a bad cable - the pin-out is wrong or they missed something during assembly - cables are fairly easy to make if you have the pin out specs.

I tend to use enclosures or docks as they seem to be more reliable than simple cables.

Good luck and post again if the drive still has issues after trying another connection.

There is a concern about your data on the HDD. I asked if you could read the data. Your answer was Not on Windows 10.

Can the data on the drive still be read on the original OS if it is connected internally?

If we lose power again, please bear with me until I can get back on the Internet.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 25, 2015
  7. Hello Bill,

Many thanks for your in-depth reply, and for the link, it's all greatly appreciated.
    We did, indeed, try using the HDD in question 'externally' by plugging it into a SATA-USB adapter (which we have since read reviews on to find that it is not the best, by far!).
    We are going to do a slower, more thorough search for a suitable replacement, and try again...

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Bristolian, Jun 26, 2015
  8. Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

Good luck Bob,

Post again with a status update
    - I'm hoping that post will say: A different Serial ATA / USB cable/enclosure/dock solved the issue

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2015
  9. Hello Bill,

We bought a Bipra usb - sata / ide adaptor (that has an external power supply), and found a work-around to the problem of her trying to take ownership of her 2nd HDD, she was getting the "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied message".
    It all seems OK now though (with fingers and toes crossed!).

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Bristolian, Jun 28, 2015
  10. Thanks for the update Bob

I'm glad you were able to get the issues sorted.

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

1. Help required, enabling an external USB HDD. - Similar Threads - Help required enabling

2. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  3. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  4. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  6. [Help] Windows on external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Windows on external HDD: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Snorpii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ftk7ko/help_windows_on_external_hdd/
  7. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  8. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  9. USB external HDD no longer working

USB external HDD no longer working: Greetings: I have an old external HDD enclosure (Mad Dog) that shows up as "Unspecified" under Devices and Printers. This drive was working just fine several months ago. I basically just use it as a backup for my music library, so I do access it very often. I lost a good...
  10. External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

External USB HDD not disconnecting properly: In W10.1607 x86 when I eject a External USB HDD, it does not Power Down, I mean the Eject Procedure is not being totally finished. The Safe to Eject message appears but the light on HDD stays on and if I pull it out I can listen the Motor spinning down. That is it not good,...