Windows 10: HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem

Discus and support HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help with this. My Windows 10 PC had a problem today where it couldn't find the boot drive. I replaced the SATA... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DJBenz, Mar 8, 2016.

1. DJBenz Win User

HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help with this. My Windows 10 PC had a problem today where it couldn't find the boot drive. I replaced the SATA cable and it solved the problem, but when Windows 10 started back up it logged me in and gave the

message. I've googled this error and found this tutorial on how to fix it but the first step is to back up files and folders from C:\Users\(problem profile).

However, this folder no longer exists on my HDD. If I look at the profile registry key, it's pointing at where the folder should be, but the folder is gone. It's not hidden, I have hidden files viewable, it's just gone.

It was my profile, it was an administrator account. The rest of the family's profiles and files are intact, but mine are gone.

To add insult to injury, I tried a system restore from an automatic point taken at lunchtime today, but the process fails with this error:

HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem [​IMG]

Can anyone help, please?

:)

DJBenz, Mar 8, 2016
  2. Snorp08 Win User

Help I'm being signed in as a temporary account

Sadly this did not work. It still puts me into a temporary account.

Snorp08, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Help I'm being signed in as a temporary account

Hello Snorp,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Shutdown your PC completely, wait for a moment and then restart it back. Now check if it fix the issue. If it doesn't fix the issue, follow these steps:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
    carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

* Start your PC in
    Safe Mode

* Once you're in Safe Mode, press Windows Key + X on desktop screen and select
    Command Prompt (Admin)

* Type net user administrator /active:yes into it and Hit Enter.

* Now log-off and log-in with the Administrator account.

* Click Start, type regedit in the
    Search box, and then press ENTER. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

* In the navigation pane, locate the folder that begins with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. Click each
    S-1-5 folder, locate the ProfileImagePath entry in the details pane, and then double-click to make sure that this is the user account profile that has the error.

* If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long numbers and one of them ended with
    .bak, you have to rename the .bak folder. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder without .bak, and then click
      Rename
      . Type .ba, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click the folder that is named .bak, and then click
      Rename
      . Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click the folder that is named .ba, and then click
      Rename
      . Change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.
    [*]* If you have only one folder starting with S-1-5 that is followed by long numbers and ends with
    .bak. Right-click the folder, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.
    [*]* Click the folder without .bak in the details pane, double-click
    RefCount, type 0, and then click OK. Click the folder without
    .bak, in the details pane, double-click State, type
    0, and then click OK.
    [*]* Close Registry Editor. Restart the computer. Log on again with your original account to see if it fix the issue.

[*]

[*]
    Keep us posted if you require further assistance

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem

1. HELP! Signed in with a temporary account - not the usual problem - Similar Threads - HELP Signed temporary

2. Temporary sign in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary sign in.: Hi Everyone,We have a server signed for multiple users in our company, I used RDS for while for it the remove it for some issues we faced, now we back to sign using usual and direct Remote Desktop, but all the users are signed with temporary user every time, how can I fix...
  3. Signing-in to a Temporary Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing-in to a Temporary Account: Hello. I have been signed off from my main account and was signed in to a temporary account. I have tried restarting my laptop and following some of the solutions you have provided yet the problem still exists. Now, I have followed a Youtube tutorial on how to fix the problem...
  4. Signing with temporary account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing with temporary account.: After update Microsoft is signing with temporary account and on restart data on desktop is removed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/signing-with-temporary-account/d175bc27-8f14-43a3-9e23-8220aa03ce1f
  5. There is a temporary Problem with your account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    There is a temporary Problem with your account: For over a week, I have not been able to get into my Microsoft account. My case file is 1500552354. My life and work is in my OneDrive. I have filled our 6 Account Recovery and Account Reinstatement forms. I have never heard any response. Below is my message. No one...
  6. Unable to sign in and automatically signed in to a temporary account.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to sign in and automatically signed in to a temporary account.: I’m not sure what happened I came home and it appeared my computer had restarted when I went to open up from the lock screen it took me two a background that I had not seen with a message on it saying that they could not sign me in and to correct is push a button and it would...
  7. Signed in with temporary account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Signed in with temporary account: Yesterday got logged in with temporary profile, posted several questions on here already. Couldn't seem to fix it so made new email and Microsoft account. I didn't make it as a local user though. My question now is how do I delete my old user account & files as well as the...
  8. Sign in temporary account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sign in temporary account: When i install quick heal Antivirus before this i have NPAV when i install quick heal they ask me to remove npav so i uninstall the npav but after that ..when the laptop is restart message box appears it shows " we cant sign into your account" after that i restart many...
  9. Signed into Temporary Account on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Signed into Temporary Account on Windows 10: Hi. Please help me. My laptop was working properly last Wednesday and I was doing the update. Then yesterday when I tried to login I encountered an error. Stop code: System Service Exception. I tried to change the password before I restore it thinking maybe I forgot the...
  10. Windows signing me into temporary account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows signing me into temporary account: Ive tried doing everything windows and other people have ive seen other posts and they didnt work and theres no restore points i can use. im almost done at this point its pissing me off to no end....