Windows 10: Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

Discus and support Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. My son and I have recently upgraded our 2-year old Dell 660 Inspiron from Win 7 Pro by doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro to a brand new HDD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tnewkirk70, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

Hello. My son and I have recently upgraded our 2-year old Dell 660 Inspiron from Win 7 Pro by doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro to a brand new HDD. As we have been testing out different apps and things to ensure everything is working, we've discovered that AVI files and MOV files will play just fine on either Windows Media Player or the "Movies and TV" app that came with Win 10. However, MPG files will not play - in WMP we just get the audio, and in "Movies and TV" it throws an error.

I've updated the latest drivers from Dell specifically for Win 10, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. As a further point of reference, his laptop, with Win 10 Pro installed, plays these exact same files just fine.

Other than email, my main use for the PC is video editing and if I can't get MPGs to play, I'll probably have to go back to Win 7...which would not be fun.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

Thanks,
    Travis

:)

tnewkirk70, Mar 30, 2016
  2. D723 Win User

How do i get my Move Clip (.MPG) files to play in Windows 10

Trying to carry over video files from old computer to new. Using Seagate backup plus portable drive. I see the mpg files but they only play the audio and not the video. Is there a known problem playing mpg's on Windows 10?

3. Getting error code 0xc004f011 when attempting to play .MPG through Movies and TV

Original title: Movies & TV Does Not Recognize Video File

I transferred a simple .MPG (video) file from my Sony Handcam Camcorder. When opening it with Windows Media Player, I do not get visual - only audio. When attempting to play the .MPG through Movies & TV, I am given the error code 0xc004f011 and told the
    video is not in a format that is supported. All videos are .MPGs. What do I need to do to be able to play videos I upload my camcorder on this desktop?

WolfePeavley, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

Since the file type is really just a container, these mpg files have to be encoded with something unusual and would require some kind of codec to play them. A standard, typical mpg plays just fine in Windows 10 with no need for additional software.

If you are searching for something on Windows 10 to play just about anything, even files with unique encoding, VLC will do the trick, and it's free.

DeaconFrost, Mar 30, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I've gone with VLC because it plays a number of formats, lately .mkv downed from YouTube or other sites. With Win10 it may be necessary to use Control Panel, Default Programs and change settings for a specific format to a program you know will play it.

Berton, Mar 30, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    VLC is the only thing that is worth its weight for media playing.

bro67, Mar 31, 2016
  7. ArmaRayo Win User
    I installed K-lite Codec pack, and now not only WMP plays ALL media files, but even Movies & TV app.

However Movies & TV app doesn't play mpg which is a major pitty :/

ArmaRayo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

1. Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Help MPG videos

2. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  3. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  4. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HELP - NEEDED. conversion of video to .SCR file that plays video for windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HELP - NEEDED. conversion of video to .SCR file that plays video for windows 10: Hi we created a screen saver animated for our company to roll out on their network last year, no issues. After the update Windows 10 and no flash support this no longer works. We have tried this option. https://sourceforge.net/ and have done some more testing using...
  6. How to convert MOD video file to MPG format

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert MOD video file to MPG format: [ATTACH]Most of us will likely have no idea what a MOD file is, and that’s because camcorders are not as popular as they once were. […] This article How to convert MOD video file to MPG format first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Video not playing in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Video not playing in windows 10: I have had a problem viewing videos on my laptop for some time. When I play a video the sound works fine but there is no picture. I have tried opening the videos with several players i.e. power DVD Windows Media Player Quick Time etc. but none work However, if I open one...
  8. MPG files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    MPG files on Windows 10: Hello all, I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our...
  9. videos will not play in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    videos will not play in windows 10: I just upgraded to windows 10 without any installation problems or error massages. However I soon discovered that I am unable to play any videos including any that are on youtube. When I do click on one i get distorted audio, no video playback and IE crashes. I was...
  10. Playing Get Started Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Playing Get Started Videos: Just downloaded Windows 10. Went to Get Started page and tried to play each of the videos. Each one failed to play. Any idea why? 10493

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0xc004f011 mpg