Windows 10: Help to Recover Data File Password in Outlook 2010, Apr 2017

Discus and support Help to Recover Data File Password in Outlook 2010, Apr 2017 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; A friend asked my advice with a problem I've never encountered. He's a computer novice running Office 2010 on an Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home. He... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Toronto Cat, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Help to Recover Data File Password in Outlook 2010, Apr 2017

A friend asked my advice with a problem I've never encountered. He's a computer novice running Office 2010 on an Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home. He is recently unable to open Outlook 2010. The program is suddenly asking for a Data File Password which he did not install. We're guessing that the need for password started after a family member visited and used his laptop.

I have searched the web and found a few options including a free recovery tool at www.nirsoft.net/utils/pst_password.html

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover an unknown Data File password, or any experience with the recovery tool at Nirsoft? The Nirsoft site warns that the tool sets off a false positive with anti-virus thinking it delivers a trojan, when really it's because of the nature of what it does...crack Data File passwords.

Any thoughts from the TenForums family is appreciated.

:)

Toronto Cat, Apr 7, 2017

2. How Do I Synchronize Outlook 2010 with multiple Data files to Windows Mobile 6.5.

How Do I Synchronize Outlook 2010 with multiple Data files to Windows Mobile 6.5. Prior to Outlook 2010 I was running Outlook 2002 with PCS - PC Sync 1.2 and I had no problem synchronizing these Data files.

docs sports, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Mapi stopped working in Outlook 2010 after performing Fall 2017 creators update.

Mapi stopped working in Outlook 2010 after performing Fall 2017 creators update.

I cannot send email using word, snipping tool, quickbooks, excel, nothing.

I tried repairing the outlook 2010 application, and it did not help.

John

John Lenihan, Apr 7, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Help to Recover Data File Password in Outlook 2010, Apr 2017

I've not tried this utility but NirSoft are well respected site and I use some of their (his?) other utilities for checking context menu items and so on. They work well.

I honestly think they are safe site.

Discussing recovering passwords is against forum rules though so you'll probably not get a answer on that front.

lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  5. Thank you lx07.

I understand about the forum rules. I'll try the Nirsoft tool then and respond next week if it works for him. Otherwise, we may need to uninstall and reinstall Office.

Toronto Cat, Apr 7, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Alternatively if the email account is IMAP you could just create a new profile and set up email account(s) again. Outlook will download the mails again.

Adding/Recreating a Mail Profile - HowTo-Outlook

If that works you can delete the old password protected one.

lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  7. It is IMAP. I've never tried to set up an account without having access to Outlook, but I could give this a try. Thank you for the 2nd option.

If I'm successful in creating a new profile that then allows Outlook 2010 to open, couldn't I just then change the Data File Password and delete the new profile. Outlook should then open without need of a password, and his old profile and address would still work.

Wouldn't that work?

Toronto Cat, Apr 7, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

I believe that the password protected data file would still be associated with the old profile. If you create a new account and try to associate the old password protected data file with it Outlook will still ask you for the password to open it.

Creating a new profile and setting up the IMAP account(s) should get your emails back but any emails that were moved from the IMAP basic folders to any user created folders and then deleted from the IMAP server will not be recovered because they exist only in the password protected data file. This really depends on how you friend managed the IMAP emails after they were received in Outlook.

SoFine409, Apr 7, 2017
  9. TY. Then my best first option is to try Nirsoft to recover the password for the existing Data File, then change the password in that file. He will then be back to the start, and good to go.

Assuming the Nirsoft tool will work, it will be the easiest...otherwise I'll continue along this learning curve.

Toronto Cat, Apr 8, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Please let us know how it works since I've seen this issue before. Good luck.

SoFine409, Apr 8, 2017
  11. Good Morning from Toronto.

Been away, as has my friend with the Data File Password problem. Saw him yesterday. He said he called Microsoft who fixed it for him on-line. As a novice he doesn't know what they did or how. He claims they also updated him to Windows 13. I've never heard of Windows 13.

Nonetheless, I was not able to try the NIROSOFT tool and cannot report its success or failure.

Thank you for you help and interest in this problem.

Toronto Cat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help to Recover Data File Password in Outlook 2010, Apr 2017 - Similar Threads - Help Recover Data

2. recover data/files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover data/files: hi,I have a USB stick with important files and folders. But when I tried to open the drive, it stated to format. Fat. Cannot open it. I do not want to format it. How can retrieve everything in it without formatting the drive?...
  3. recover data/files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover data/files: hi,I have a USB stick with important files and folders. But when I tried to open the drive, it stated to format. Fat. Cannot open it. I do not want to format it. How can retrieve everything in it without formatting the drive?...
  4. Outlook 2010 password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook 2010 password: How can I find my Outlook 2010 password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2010-password/3eb0d38f-d00b-4b8a-a231-c40e094c2d69
  5. Outlook 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010: Hello All, I have just installed outlook 2010 on a new computer but I only get the last 3 days of emails can I change this ? 137380
  6. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook data file: How do I recover outlook data file deleted from recycle bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/e6c1fd98-e73e-4e9c-bf06-6c2ae8a6537d
  7. Import recovered OST into Outlook 2010?

Import recovered OST into Outlook 2010?: I manually mined the files from my crashed laptop before I reinstalled Windows 10 and Office 2010. I lost all my contacts - it is an Outlook.com account but the contacts were not synched with the web version. I believe I got the correct OST file from the savage operation....
  8. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook data file: I have more than one data file in Outlook. How to I combine them and return to just the Outlook data file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/f6791306-702a-406f-8f04-ad859b637a64
  9. Outlook 2010 Data file import error to Outlook 2013

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2010 Data file import error to Outlook 2013: My employer (School Board) requested all staff laptops be returned over summer so the OS could be upgraded from Win 7 Enterprise, so I did an export of my Outlook 2010 file to work on from home- they now want all Outlook profiles below 50 MB. My personal laptop (Win 7 Pro...
  10. Outlook 2010

Outlook 2010: My Outlook 2010 has developed a problem. Every time I load it after a few seconds it says Outlook has stopped working. I have uninstalled Office 2010 rebooted and reinstalled but it is still happening. Any help appreciated. 84659