Windows 10: Help to resolve Win 10 issue involving PS2 driver on touchpad

Discus and support Help to resolve Win 10 issue involving PS2 driver on touchpad in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just installed Win 10 on an Asus laptop which was running Win 8.1, and, I believe Smart Gesture which was what allowed modifying the touchpad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by keesadad, Oct 23, 2017.

1. keesadad Win User

Help to resolve Win 10 issue involving PS2 driver on touchpad

I have just installed Win 10 on an Asus laptop which was running Win 8.1, and, I believe Smart Gesture which was what allowed modifying the touchpad features, specifically, disabling 'tap'. ASUS has been totally unhelpful, in fact
    they sent me Nvidia drivers and asked me to "try" them. The default that Win 10 installed was PS2, which unlike
    Smart Gesture (or even some Synaptic drivers) where you can have turnoff the function for 'tap', PS2 has only standard options.
    I am wondering if someone could recommend looking somewhere in the registry to see if I can turnoff the 'tap'
    feature, or if there are other options. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

:)

keesadad, Oct 23, 2017
  2. DiNet09 Win User

Win 10 Touchpad drivers not available for older ASUS Netbook.

Appreciate your efforts to help!

This ASUS Netbook would not accept any of these drivers.

FYI

Interestingly, The Processor is 64bit Intel ATOM CPU N570 1.66GHz, but came with 32bit Win 7,

So has been upgraded with Win 10 Home 32bit Ver. 1511.

Would changing to Win 10 Home 64bit work?

Also, FYI: The touchpad does work, however the touchpad buttons do not work.

The existing Win 10 Mice & Pointing drivers are:

HID Compliant MS Ver 10.0.10586.0

& PS2 Compatable same version

although there is no PS2 Mouse port, only USB ports.

Human Interface Devices: Only USB input device listed in Device Mgr.

DiNet09, Oct 23, 2017
  3. synaptics touchpad stops working after waking sony viao

I tried going to synaptics for the driver, and installing as recommended. That compounded the problem. I have since uninstalled the synaptics driver, and am using a generic ps2 mouse driver. This works somewhat better. As long as I manually put the system
    to sleep I can retain touchpad use. If the system goes to sleep or hibernate on its own, the touchpad is unresponsive on wake. I have now noticed that Sony does not recommend the Win 10 update at this time for many laptop models due to instability, with the
    touchpad being a known issue. Thanks for trying though.

DarrenAshby, Oct 23, 2017
  4. Help to resolve Win 10 issue involving PS2 driver on touchpad

Hi Keesadad.

Please do not modify the registry. Windows 10 has mis-identified your touchpad. If you head to Asus and find your device there should be a touchpad driver. Use the 8.1 one if that is all they have.

I tried to find your specific device but Asus was being cranky and G771 did not produce any results. Please check model and update specs. You will also likely need their ATK package which will also be listed.

Ken

Edit 1

Kept looking, my wife says I'm stubborn, I like the word determined. Yours is an ROG G771JW, correct? Here is the right page and the ATK package is required.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/supporton...Desk_Download/

Caledon Ken, Oct 24, 2017
  5. keesadad Win User
    Thanks neighbor,
    The ASUS that I am asking for is a friend's computer, a G75X, I7 processor and 8gb of memory. ASUS has been totally unhelpful; I've spent much time with several chat agents and more time on their website.

I did find one SmartGesture file which I downloaded, but there was a note that it might need an 'ATK' file (whatever that is) for which they gave a link. But that brought up a blank page, and when I mentioned that to the agent, I got, more or less, "that won't work" and I started getting useless "try this" suggestions.

I read somewhere about checking the registry (with clear instructions), and since I have previously but rarely
    gone through its structure, I decided to look. But those instructions involved an Elan version, and I found neither Elan nor SmartGesture in the place where the instructions said to look. I may even put a copy of my SmartGesture on my friend's G75X. Meanwhile if you come up with other ideas, let me know.

All is appreciated.

Wayne from MIssissauga

keesadad, Oct 24, 2017
  6. keesadad Win User
    Thanks, I didn't see your 2nd post until after I completed the reply- yes you are right, my ASUS is a G771J but (my bad) I forgot to mention I was working on a G75X. I will try the file I have. I just went to the link you gave me, and it doesn't even move off that intial page, tried both win 10 and win 8.1.

I upgraded my G771J from Win 7, and the installation did the same thing- just gave it PS2 drivers. But I
    have had many issues with the SmartGesture in the past- the whole install disappears every 3-6 months, seemingly after a Windows update. So now I keep a copy of the file. I'll do a web search to see if I can find older versions of smart gesture.

Oh, and why am I trying to get this working? I have a shaky right hand, and when I lower my hand to do something on the keyboard, I'm likely to tap instead- the results can be funny, or disastrous- I've deleted files,
    folders and directories because of this problem. My G75X friend is not very computer literate so I'm trying to bullet-proof her computer.

from Mississauga

keesadad, Oct 24, 2017
  7. Hey no issue. I always shut tap off. To many accidents. We are neighbours.

Here is the Asus support page. Again I can't find model so you will have to look. For me I need whole written name and full model number from sticker. Asus search engine sucks.

Official Support | ASUS Canada

This is solvable, just got to get the right driver and ATK package.

Ken

8. keesadad Win User

Thanks Ken,
    I'm taking a break on this one for a few days, my friend wanted to take her computer home as is to get started on her 2016 taxes (just a tad late). I'll do some more research and trials and will post if I come up with something.

Appreciated your 'stubbornness', that's one of my biggest flaws, I don't like to quit, so I'm sure I'll find something
    sooner or later. You were quite helpful.

I agree with you on your ASUS search comment; in fact through several experiences is VERY negative, and after just 2+ years with my G771, I have concluded this will be my last experience with ASUS.

Regards

Mississauga Wayne

keesadad, Oct 24, 2017
  9. Get your friend to send you the model specs and you can at least be ready. (Please post)

While I sound hard on Asus I like their products. You should see documentation and support files for some other makes. Before youo buy check it out online.

In some sense all this technology that is supposed to make things simpler isn't. There are four hundred whatever's, wireless cards, touchpads, chipsets etc. Even Apple can't get an iOS release out these days for a limited subset of phones with breaking things.

Ken

10. keesadad Win User
    Thanks Ken, I have some of the specs of her G75X- I7 processor 1 terrabyte hard drive. I also found 3 versions of SmartGesture and 'maybe' one ATK package. I'm still searching so next time she is over, I'll do some more testing.
    I have used, in recent years a Toshiba (screen failure), 2 Dells (screen failures), Lenovo (for one week-worst bloatware I've ever seen, actually they re-installed some after I uninstalled), worked for HP, tried Sony.... overall quality is borderline, at best. I will do more research next buy.

Thanks again

keesa's dad from Mississauga

keesadad, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help to resolve Win 10 issue involving PS2 driver on touchpad - Similar Threads - Help resolve issue

2. Need help in connecting PS2 Keyboards on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help in connecting PS2 Keyboards on Windows 10: Need help in connecting PS2 Keyboards on Windows 10I have tried all the steps below and it still doesn't allow me to connect the PS2 keyboardCan you please have Microsoft representative remote log into my laptop and fix the issue that I'm facing. Thank...
  3. need help resolving driver issues to turn on memory integrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    need help resolving driver issues to turn on memory integrity: Hi hello all, it shows that " igdkmd64.sys " is installed twice , i went to system32/drivers and it only shows it there once. .i didnt have this problem last week. it has just arisen after a clean install. ?any help would be great as i am trying to enable Memory integrity....
  4. PCIe card issue...involving Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIe card issue...involving Windows 10?: Right then, I think through the process of elimination I might have the matter at hand, but not completely. At the end of January, I ordered a customer made PC for my workshop. Nothing spectacular, but good enough for my work. Specs: Gigabyte A320M-S2H Mainboard AMD4...
  5. PS2 Keyboard drivers

PS2 Keyboard drivers: I accidentally uninstalled my PS2 Keyboard drivers on my Connex Swift Book laptop, I'm unable to use the buttons and I don't like using the soft keyboard. Time consuming...
  6. standard ps2 keyboard drivers

standard ps2 keyboard drivers: my device keyboard is not working because of mismatch of driver,what is the best driver for standard ps2 keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-ps2-keyboard-drivers/0fec28f0-a99d-4ea0-8b8d-2630527fd211
  7. driver ps2 to usb

driver ps2 to usb: I'm buying a PS 2 to USB gadget to plug in a PS 2 keyboard to my computer without a PS 2 port. Will I need to find a Driver? Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-ps2-to-usb/dd6e12e5-7119-4e7c-a81c-baaded8353a6
  8. Synaptics SMB Bus touchpad issues on Win 10

Synaptics SMB Bus touchpad issues on Win 10: Lately, the operation of the touchpad has been erratic and unreliable. However, after I connect a mouse the touchpad starts to behave appropriately again. I have the latest driver. Windows is up-to-date. Does anybody know the cause and the solution? OS Name Microsoft...
  9. Synaptics PS2 Touchpad - EdgeMotion Problems

Synaptics PS2 Touchpad - EdgeMotion Problems: Hello all! So - short and sweet. I have a Sager NP7358 laptop running Windows 10. Synaptics has a feature for touchpads called EdgeMotion. It keeps the cursor scrolling when your finger reaches the edge of the touchpad. It's annoying. I have the latest Synaptics drivers...
  10. Elan touchpad driver issue under win 10

Elan touchpad driver issue under win 10: Hello guys, great feedback so far so I wanted to iron out another issue I have with windows 10. Namely after getting around windows 10 constantly installing synaptics touchpad drivers over my elan touchpad Ive gotten it to work semi properly. The things that dont work...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ps/2 10.0.10586.0