Windows 10: Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message

Discus and support Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Am in London this weekend at a friend's house. Using Virginmedia as ISP. Trying to reach a local computer redsquirrel Ping via IP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 18, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message

Hi there
    Am in London this weekend at a friend's house. Using Virginmedia as ISP.

Trying to reach a local computer redsquirrel

Ping via IP address fine

Ping via name :

[jim@gudmundur ~]$ ping Redsquirrel
    PING Redsquirrel weird Ip address 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from advancedsearch.virginmedia.com (weird IP address): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=12.6 ms

Any ideas ??

ping should return 192.168.x.x

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 18, 2017
  2. IanOE Win User

windows 10 mobile update

Are virgin media UK testing for windows 10 mobile update

IanOE, May 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 update drops internet connection

So when I updated to Windows 10 my internet started to cut out. The peculiar thing about this is that it doesn't just disconnect my computer but every device's connection to the internet. It still connects to the router, but there's no connection until the
    router is reset. But the problem soon returns.

I'm a UK resident with Virgin Media and any help would be received gratefully, thank you in advance.

Christopher Willcock-Irving, May 18, 2017
  4. Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message

TairikuOkami, May 18, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    DNS isn't used on local network as there is no DNS server local names use NetBIOS but ping thinks your pinging a internet PC and using DNS

Samuria, May 18, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Try ping pcname -4
    Forces IPv4 otherwise it appears to default to IPv6 and curiously here is giving the address I'm pinging from and not the PC I'm pinging.
    -4 gets the correct one with the IP address.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message

1. Help - Virgin media users in UK Ping returning weird message - Similar Threads - Help Virgin media

2. Virgin Media outgoing mail impasse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virgin Media outgoing mail impasse: Hi,up until early Wednesday I was accessing my virgin media email via Outlook which has far superior functionality.Something has changed since then & Outlook cannot connect to the Virgin media server smtp.virginmedia.comIs there some way I can re-establish connection with...
  3. Virgin Media outgoing mail impasse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virgin Media outgoing mail impasse: Hi,up until early Wednesday I was accessing my virgin media email via Outlook which has far superior functionality.Something has changed since then & Outlook cannot connect to the Virgin media server smtp.virginmedia.comIs there some way I can re-establish connection with...
  4. Virgin Media outgoing mail impasse

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Need help with weird ping/latency situation.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with weird ping/latency situation.: I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit to go to, as this is affecting games such as CS:GO and league of legends. Ok here is some details worth noting: My old PC would get latency around 36-37 every game, no difference in league. On CS:GO it would get around 45-50....
  6. UK Virgin Media

UK Virgin Media: VM are promising their UK customers 1gbs BB during the coming year. It will require a new router when it happens. I had not long ago installed a new router so it might be one thats 'ready'. At present I m on nearly 400mbs. I understand this has already started on the south...
  7. Virgin Media E-mails will not transfer to windows ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virgin Media E-mails will not transfer to windows ?: We can receive E-mails from Virgin Media on their Internet system, which used to transfer to windows, but nothing is now transferring https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virgin-media-e-mails-will-not-transfer-to-windows/51decfac-cfac-44d7-9ec6-5e2664b807e4
  8. Update Credentials of Virgin Media Account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Credentials of Virgin Media Account.: I keep receiving emails from outlook to update my credentials on an old virginmedia account I have not used since 2001. I have looked in my new virginmedia profile for the account but not found. I have also looked in my outlook profile without success. I am not sure if I have...
  9. Streaming video issues-Virgin Media broadband

Streaming video issues-Virgin Media broadband: Before i contact Virgin Media about streaming content as some members may had similiar problems. The issue i have is...when i watch streaming content say BBC iplayer the particular program starts ok...then say about 10 minutes i see the familiar buffering animated icon...
  10. Happy UK user

in Windows 10 Support
    Happy UK user: Just want to say thanks to all help on this great site I've managed to install win 10 home on laptop and PC Both activated, no windows issues at all. Made the DVD from the ISO via creation tool Best of Luck to you all 10784