Windows 10: [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder

Discus and support [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 1000 videos that are all inside directories. Ex. 13212/video1.avi, 34234/video2.avi, 79443/video3.avi, etc I have over 1000 videos that are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FalsAlarm, Dec 14, 2017.

1. FalsAlarm Win User

[HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder

I have 1000 videos that are all inside directories. Ex. 13212/video1.avi, 34234/video2.avi, 79443/video3.avi, etc

I have over 1000 videos that are individually inside it's own random folder name.

I would like to know if Windows 10 has any features or command line commands that I can use to get all of the videos sitting inside one master directory instead.

"MASTER_DIRECTORY/video1.avi, MASTER_DIRECTORY/video2.avi," etc

:)

FalsAlarm, Dec 14, 2017
  2. aubs---01 Win User

6280 moving file

options --> Move.

takes you to the "select location" screen. If you want it to go to "Memory Card"\"Videos" folder, highlight "Memory Card" then press the right arrow. This takes you to the root of the "Memory Card". scroll and highlight the folder "Videos" and press the middle
    button, I think it's called "Move".

Note1: You don't go *into* the folder where you want to move the file to, you go one step back.

Note2: If you want to create a new folder, e.g. Add the folder "Fun" to the folder "Videos" so you get: "Memory Card"\"Videos"\"Fun", go into the "Videos" folder and press options. Then scroll and select New Folder, type the name "Fun" and select OK. Folder
    is created. highlight the folder and press MOVE button. File will be moved into the "Fun" folder.

Hope this helps!

aubs---01, Dec 14, 2017
  3. JodiEd777 Win User
    File explorer keeps defaulting to parent folder on Windows 10.

Original Title: File explorer keeps defaulting to parent folder

I am working with File Explorer in Windows 10 on a Dell computer. I have several files on an external drive that I want to post to multiple files on my hard drive. I have a temporary directory where I move the files to my hard drive, so that I can move
    them to the other folders, elsewhere on the hard drive. The temporary directory has several folders which have multiple files in them. Each time I go into one of the folders in the temporary directory, I can move the files to their new location, but when
    the files move, Explorer automatically defaults back to the temporary directory instead of staying in the folder it was in before the file was moved. I have been doing this the same way since Vista, and it has never done this before. Anyone have an idea
    how to make it stop defaulting back to the main directory?

Thank you for your help. I am ready to pull my hair out. What used to take me half an hour with Windows 7 now takes a couple of hours because I have to go back and repeat all the steps each time I move a file. <><

JodiEd777, Dec 14, 2017
  4. [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder

If all of the videos directories are inside a directory you could use the File Explorer search to list the files.
    You could then select them all and then drag them to the desired directory.

If your setup is something like this:MASTER_DIRECTORY/DIR1/video1.avi
    MASTER_DIRECTORY/DIR2/video2.avi
    You could do this:

• Search for *.avi
    • When the search finishes select all of the files ("Ctrl + A")
    • Drag them to the "MASTER_DIRECTORY" (or any other directory) in the Navigation pane.

In this example (in W7) I'm trying to move all of the mp4 files to the top level directory (Random):
    (You'll need to click on the picture several times to see it full size)

[HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder [​IMG]

The procedure should be the same in W10.

lehnerus2000, Dec 15, 2017
  5. FalsAlarm Win User
    Yes. That worked thanks

FalsAlarm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

[HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder

1. [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder - Similar Threads - HELP Wanting move

2. can anyone help me with this? I want to move some files into the folder and this appears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can anyone help me with this? I want to move some files into the folder and this appears.: this what appears on my screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-help-me-with-this-i-want-to-move-some/7c071848-07ed-499c-aa11-9e2fbf38fcd0
  3. can anyone help me with this? I want to move some files into the folder and this appears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can anyone help me with this? I want to move some files into the folder and this appears.: this what appears on my screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-help-me-with-this-i-want-to-move-some/7c071848-07ed-499c-aa11-9e2fbf38fcd0
  4. Moved Videos To A Random Folder,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moved Videos To A Random Folder,: So today i moved the videos folder to a random folder i made, then i clicked on the videos and guess what.all my videos were gone, well i can magicly view my scrn shots in the photos app well no **** i guess but yeah, even if i put the videos folder back to videos if that...
  5. Moving files/folders

Moving files/folders: Hello.I have been trying to move folders from C drive to my extended storage device D. i have followed the instructions given on a different forum, i right clicked on the folder, went to properties and then i wanted to search for location tab but i couldn't find it. only tabs...
  6. moving files in a folder

moving files in a folder: I'm trying to move files pictures around in a folder. In windows 7 I could just move them via the mouse. I've tried cutting & pasting but nothing happens. Any ideas?...
  7. Help! Lost all childhood family video projects after moved the default folder directory to...

Help! Lost all childhood family video projects after moved the default folder directory to...: Hi, I have worked on and created many family videos using Windows 10 Photo apps under the default folder directory path - C:\Users\JH\Pictures. As the pictures and videos size grew, my laptop internal hard drive was running out of space. As I moved the default directory...
  8. Moving the video folder to This PC

Moving the video folder to This PC: It may sound like a dumb/unusual question. The OS (Windows 10) is in drive C:\ being a 128GB SSD, and all standard links links are in "This PC". However, some of these links point into drive C:\users\myname\..... , some point to drive D:\ like Pictures. Works perfectly....
  9. Want to move Offline Files Folder (Windows\CSC)

Want to move Offline Files Folder (Windows\CSC): I tried searching for "offline" in the forum and scanned through the 250 odd titles that came up but could not find reference to relocating the offline files folder. I frequently take an image of the system drive as a backup but, with an ever increasing offline folder...
  10. Move all files inside folders to parent directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Move all files inside folders to parent directory: Hello, First of all, I would like to apologize if this topic is not in the correct forum. My problem is the following: I have a folder (let's call it BASKET), inside that folder I have many other folders (for the sake of the example, I will name for example 3 folders -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. program to move video files from folder to folder