Windows 10: Help with Account Picture

Discus and support Help with Account Picture in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I have two computer systems, one with build 1709 and the other 1703 On the 1709 I did a clean install and during the install I opted for no... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AirPower4ever, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Help with Account Picture

So I have two computer systems, one with build 1709 and the other 1703

On the 1709 I did a clean install and during the install I opted for no Microsoft account, I always use the local account. So I went to change my user account picture and I keep getting "Account picture error. Setting the account picture failed. please try again". It does this with every picture I choose, even the recommended size of 448 x 448.

The system with 1703 on it is just fine and I can change the picture at will. I went and googled this and some say to move the picture in to the "User Account Pictures" folder, but in 1703 and 1709 that folder does not exist under Programdata\Microsoft.

Does anyone know how to fix this small issue or is this a bug that Microsoft is working on?

:)

AirPower4ever, Nov 3, 2017

2. Ugrade issue on `WIN7 x86 / Linux Ubuntu´ dual boot computer

Problem solved.

With a (`Dutch´) ISO x86 I could do the trick, although it was not that easy to gain the prefered ISO with that `ISO tool thing´. With my regular user account and the administrator password, it did not work. And in the administrator account I first had to
    perform a cleanup from temp folders. Then the download started and I could work further with the ISO. Because the ISO was Dutch and my WIN7 version was English, I could not preverse the settings. But now everything seems to work great at last.

Possibly WIN10 will be a nice OS. But upgrading seems sometimes not very easy and I would prefer if I could just also download different ISO's without any tools. That tool might be handy for Live CD's.

Anyway, thank you for the tips.

Help Account, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Ugrade issue on `WIN7 x86 / Linux Ubuntu´ dual boot computer

While upgrading a fine working WIN7 x86 OS, I received an error message that WIN10 couldn't be installed. Windows Update encountered an unknown error ( C1900101-40000D ). This message occurs after the WIN10 upgrade proces is at circa 40%.

The computer is dual booted; WIN7 x86 and Linux Ubuntu. This never gave any issues, but upgrading to WIN10 seems to be a problem?!? If so, then the specific computer will soon no longer run with Windows at all. This because I prefer Linux on that specific
    computer, but it would be handy if a current Windows version would still be available on also that pc.

Help Account, Nov 3, 2017
  4. Help with Account Picture

The user Picture is in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

XXXX=User name

You have to show hidden files in order to see it.

Josey Wales, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Thanks JW, I found it but it still does not work. I even copied the picture in to that folder you mentioned and it still gives me the error

Here is the error

Help with Account Picture [​IMG]

AirPower4ever, Nov 4, 2017
  6. Go to settings and accounts and try to use Browse for a different picture the size I use is 250 x 250. Try that and see if it works.

Josey Wales, Nov 4, 2017
  7. Still. I made a picture 250 x 169 and did not work. I also downloaded a new picture with a size of 150 x 112, same thing

Not sure if this matters but in that folder you mentioned there was nothing in there. I checked a Windows 8.1 machine and there was a picture of the default grey photo with a silhouette of a person.

This is weird, sounds like there is a bug in 1709. Any photo should work as it did in 1703.

8. mrgeek Win User

Help with Account Picture

"checked a Windows 8.1 machine and there was a picture of the default grey photo with a silhouette of a person. ... This is weird, sounds like there is a bug in 1709. Any photo should work as it did in 1703."

Out of curiosity, I did some quick testing. My regular pic is from my msn account, I added the new one from the Settings/Accounts page and it added to the folder fine (see screenshot). Thus, nothing new in 1709 prevents you from choosing a new picture.
    I then manually put a picture in the folder that 'Josey Wales' directed you to & replaced the jpg ext with accountpicture-ms to match the photo already there. When I rebooted (again, my MS pic overrides), but the 'new' picture was the generic silhouette. You might try that and then see if the generic will stick.

mrgeek, Nov 4, 2017
  9. Maybe an in place upgrade repair would help? I always have use 250 x 250

Josey Wales, Nov 4, 2017
  10. OK, here is what I did and discovered. On my system I tried what mrgeek said to do; rename the file. I did so and then it did work to a degree. This is what I got

So the larger picture is still on default, but then this new smaller picture appears of what I wanted.

Now on my other Win10 1703 there is only the one large picture where in mine is the default silhouette. The 1703 system was just a click on browse, found picture which was a jpg with a size of 2374 x 1774 and it had no problem. On the 1703 the silhouette then changed to the picture selected.

On my 1709 system doing the same thing; browse and then click on any picture no matter what size gives me the error. The single large default silhouette remains. Unless I go and change the pictures ending to .accountpictures-ms then adds a smaller picture bubble, but the main larger one stays a silhouette. When I boot up my system the startup welcome picture remains the silhouette.

On the 1703 the startup welcome picture is what was selected.

looks like in my case the "converter" when you select any picture is broken because on the 1703 system it works just fine. I can pick several pictures and it converts them to the xxx.accountpictures-ms and displays them just fine.

I'll try the upgrade repair. If no joy then maybe back to 1703 for me, 1709 may be just too buggy

11. In that post where I put the location there should be two images there now. Delete the one that you did not re name.

Josey Wales, Nov 4, 2017
  12. OK, did the repair Windows 10 (followed tutorial) and all is well. I just tried and when I select any picture the large photo changes from default silhouette to the picture I select no matter what the size of the picture I choose and converts it properly now. Thank God for repair on Windows 10.

13. Help with Account Picture

I am glad your problem is fixed.*Smile

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Help with Account Picture

1. Help with Account Picture - Similar Threads - Help Account Picture

2. Account picture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Account picture: I have taken an account picture in your info. Can anyone please advise as to where the picture taken is saved and how to open picture. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-picture/6411a4d7-1a4e-4498-b5d6-76063baf5f3f
  3. Account Picture . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Account Picture . . .: I just reset, my Windows 10 computer. Now, if I go to Settings/Accounts. There's no picture . . . Just a circle? What should I do, to put my picture is that circle? Thanks for reading . . . Jerry...
  4. account picture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    account picture: I can't get rid of my account picture, even though none shows up in my account picture folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-picture/801db9be-c07b-472d-bf86-e85c0f16a06c"
  5. Account Picture

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account Picture: Greetings, I reinstalled Windows 10. Thinking it would help the installation process, I turned off networking during the install. The upshot was, I wasn't given the option to log in using my Microsoft account. After installation, I updated my account to use my Microsoft...
  6. account picture

account picture: I downloaded win 10 on my gateway m-series laptop that had win 7 on it everything works just fine exept the account pic shows up everywhere else on the laptop but it doesn't loadup on the lock screen all is up to date tried cmd prompt been in all files and folders I just cant...
  7. account picture

account picture: how to download account picture in windows 10? found the pictures in C; users; username; …..; account pictures, but can not copy or download them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-picture/40da652b-05c0-470f-812f-a9bb8c61a36d
  8. Account Picture

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Picture: how can i set the account picture for my PC. It always show error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/account-picture/6dd254fd-411f-4a53-996e-261e0ebf1aac"
  9. Account Picture Blurry.Please Help Me. :(

Account Picture Blurry.Please Help Me. :(: Hi,I Installed Windows 10 2 Days Ago And Customized It To My Needs.But When I Change My Account Picture Its Ok In The Settings,But Blurry In The Log-In Screen And Start Menu.Please Help. 11142
  10. Account Pictures

Account Pictures: [img] If you like to change your 'Account Picture' frequently and would rather not have to navigate to Start>Settings>Accounts>Account Picture and choose from only the last 3 images or Browse for another one, then head over to C:\Users\(your...