Windows 10: Help With Deleting Hard Drive

Discus and support Help With Deleting Hard Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good morning everyone!! I have a Lenovo that is running Win10 Pro that is giving me fits. I am trying to wipe the HD but the system will not let me. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017.

1. cmmpro1 Win User

Help With Deleting Hard Drive

Good morning everyone!!
    I have a Lenovo that is running Win10 Pro that is giving me fits. I am trying to wipe the HD but the system will not let me. I have tried everything. That's why I am here. Is there a command prompt to do this? If I take it to the tech, they will charge $30. I figure, if its that cheap, I should be able to do this myself. Thank you for any help I can receive on this.

:)

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017

2. help with external hard drive

Hello Jovana,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some drivers that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the drivers compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode.

In this case, I would suggest you to install the pending Windows Updates and check if it help install the relevant drivers.

Additional information:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Help with Seagate external hard drive

I am using windows 10 and have a 3tb external hard drive which was working fine and almost full. It now says, in disk mngt, disk 1 unknown and 2794 GB not initialized, unallocated and 2794 GB unallocated in the partition area. Does anyone know how to get
    it back without losing any information? I really need some help

Thanks

WayneKing1, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, cmmpro1 !

What steps are you taking to wipe it? Surely you're not trying to wipe your system disk from within Windows?

A screen shot of Disk Management would be a good starter for helpers to see what's up.

Word Man, Dec 28, 2017
  5. cmmpro1 Win User
    Give me a minute and I will upload a screen shot. I need to start that computer.

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @cmmpro1

It's not clear what you are trying to achieve. What do you mean by "wipe the HD" ? If you managed to delete all the partitions on it you'd end up with a 'brick' that won't have anything to boot from.

Describe the symptoms "that is giving me fits" and perhaps we'll be better able to help. A reset or a reinstall may be more appropriate, but we can't say without knowing the problems. As Word Man says, a picture is worth a thousand words,

*Arrow How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

*Arrow Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

7. cmmpro1 Win User
    Help With Deleting Hard Drive [​IMG]

I have attached a screen shot of the drive I'm trying to clean.

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

A note: Windows will not let one kill itself while running, have to boot to another device such as the install DVD or a GPARTED LiveCD or a Linux LiveDVD to gain access to the drive or partition desired for wiping clean.

Berton, Dec 28, 2017
  9. cmmpro1 Win User
    Help With Deleting Hard Drive [​IMG]

Here is the Disk Management pic.
    What I want to do is clean everything off of the C Drive except the operating system. Can some one help me with that?

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017
  10. cmmpro1 Win User
    I am on another computer. I have the Lenovo running but I am on my Probook to get answers.

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Sounds like you want to Reset this PC. Read this tutorial and see if that meets your needs. You can keep your files, remove everything, or (if available) perform a 'factory reset'.

*Arrow Reset Windows 10

12. cmmpro1 Win User
    I have tried to do a reset but it will not let me do it. What else can I do?

cmmpro1, Dec 28, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

How did you try and what error did it report?

14. Word Man Win User
    Just to make sure - is it simply a matter of running out of space on C: drive? Have you tried a thorough Disk Cleanup?
    See here: (system compression doesn't likely apply here, not yet at least) Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 See in particular step 5 and include that.

Word Man, Dec 28, 2017
  15. I agree with that thought.

Your Disk Management screenshot shows only 15% free on drive C
    --- That’s the range to conduct a defrag and you may as well include CHKDSK or the error checking procedure as it’s called in the hard drives properties page.
    --- If that helps, please let us know.
    Also according to Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials Windows 10 system requirements for free hard disk space is 16GB for 32-bit or 20GB for 64-bit.
    --- You might want to consider a higher hard drive, preferably an SSD.
    With that information though I suspect your Lenovo is an older unit with Windows 10 32-bit and I’d consider replacing it.
    --- I know some of those comments are my opinions, but in today’s world, Windows 10 OS’s are all designed to operate as 64-bit as far as I know.
    Last but not least, please save your data.

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Help With Deleting Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Help Deleting Hard

2. Hard drive driver deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive driver deleted: I installed some new drivers in my Windows 7. After restart ,It showed a boot device not found.I tried doing a clean installation of windows but It showed no hard drive is found . Most probably somehow hard drive driver was deleted ....
  3. Hard drive driver deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive driver deleted: I installed some new drivers in my Windows 7. After restart ,It showed a boot device not found.I tried doing a clean installation of windows but It showed no hard drive is found . Most probably somehow hard drive driver was deleted ....
  4. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Virtual Hard Drive: Hello all,I already created a virtual hard drive. But now, when I remove it, its volume doesn't add to the origin drive!1: "New Volume G:" is the VHD2: The VHD is deleted3: The VHD is detached 4: Now, it is not added into the main drive which C: here! Anyone can help me...
  5. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Virtual Hard Drive: Hello all,I already created a virtual hard drive. But now, when I remove it, its volume doesn't add to the origin drive!1: "New Volume G:" is the VHD2: The VHD is deleted3: The VHD is detached 4: Now, it is not added into the main drive which C: here! Anyone can help me...
  6. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. hard drive help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive help: hi guys I have a question on ssd and a m.2 drive, I just upgraded to a 1TB black edition NVME WD M.2 ,i upgraded from a samsung 500 ssd along with a 245 gig ssd. the 500 gig and 245 gig both are not connected at this time.i want to add them as additional storage,both had an...
  8. help with deleting mac files from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    help with deleting mac files from external hard drive: Help!! how can i delete old mac backups from a divided external hard drive so I can free up space/repartition for pc backups? submitted by /u/farmboy1234567 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gb64oy/help_with_deleting_mac_files_from_external_hard/
  9. Help with external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with external hard drive: So my PC was running out of storage, so i got an external hard-drive. The problem is, now, I want to play a game stored to it, but it's an old model, and takes up a lot of space. How can I quickly move windows store games from my hard drive to my PC and vice versa. Thank you!...
  10. deleted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleted hard drive: I was at first delighted to be offered the win 10 download but like many I hate it, I downloaded it to three machines two on win 7 one running win 8.1, the laptop with 8.1 was the first to suffer having its hard drive wiped after a win 10 update, then my pc that was on win 7...