Windows 10: Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please!

Discus and support Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello after I cloned my HDD to my SSD and booted up everything seems to be going smoothly so far, but I noticed that Crucial Storage Executive(program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by artislee, Jan 12, 2017.

1. artislee Win User

Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please!

Hello after I cloned my HDD to my SSD and booted up everything seems to be going smoothly so far, but I noticed that Crucial Storage Executive(program for maintaining my SSD) it says I need to disable 8.3 file name creation. I have found directions on how to do this in windows 7 but nothing that specifically says windows 10 and I don't want to mess with the registry unless I am 100% sure. So can anyone tell me how to go about doing this or if I even need to do it? Thanks in advance.

:)

artislee, Jan 12, 2017

2. Which programs rely on 8.3 filename creation

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

To know about the 8.3 filename creation, I suggest you to refer to the below link and check if it helps:

How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Which programs rely on 8.3 filename creation

Original Title: 8.3 filename creation

Which programs rely on 8.3 filename creation? I've heard that disabling 8.3 filename creation improves the performance of the computer, but I also heard that some programs rely on it

JordanTsakonis, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I can tell you 'how', but I have no idea if it is necessary or advisable (probably not). For a start, this may impact registry entries that use 8.3 names.

From a command prompt you can use the FSUTIL command with its 8dot3name parameter to investigate: Fsutil 8dot3name ...in particular, the 'scan' option!

Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please! [​IMG]

5. artislee Win User
    ok thanks I am going to do a little more research before I think about doing anything. My crucial SSD managment software says that with the 8.3 name creation disabled it that it will increase the performance of the SSD. I don't know for sure but I have an email in to their support asking about it, just waiting on a reply right now.

artislee, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Technically that's true, but may come at a price. Anyway, with an SSD the performance is already so good that I doubt you'd notice much difference.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/121007

7. artislee Win User
    Thanks Bree for the reply, that's about the conclusion I was coming to after the research I have done and you sealed the deal . LOL! Thanks again!

artislee, Jan 14, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

I believe the setting was intended primarily for file servers that run few applications but have a busy disk system serving many users. That is what a server is for. In such a system the potential problems are minimal but the benefits significant. In a desktop environment the risks of the setting are much greater but they probably don't create enough files for it to make much difference to performance. In some unusual situations the setting might be useful but not for general use.

LMiller7, Jan 14, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    My first learning of/problems with the LFN/Long File Names thingy with earlier versions of Windows [not Win3.xxx running on top of DOS] was that the HDD File Allocation Table stores 2 names for each file, the 8.3 and the LFN. The down side was a reduction of the number of files allowed in the root of a drive. The maximum with 8.3 was 512 files while LFN reduced that to about half. Storing LFN files in a Folder on a drive bypassed the restriction. I haven't had a need to actually test that with the more-modern Win7 and later OSes but most likely is still about the same.

Berton, Jan 14, 2017
  10. artislee Win User
    Thanks for all the input and I will have to leave well enough alone it is running fine and I don't want to mess that up. Thanks again

artislee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please! - Similar Threads - Help disabling file

2. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Cortana
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  3. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  4. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Please Help with EventID 161 Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please Help with EventID 161 Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation...: Hi Team, I desperately come to you to help me diagnose a critical error BSOD that is driving me crazy about a new computer I bought for Gaiming that worked perfectly until a few days and has intermittent behavior. I'm a former Microsoft employee trained as a Senior...
  6. 2 volume 8's?? Help please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 volume 8's?? Help please: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/J4K5 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ivr64t/2_volume_8s_help_please/
  7. Please Help.3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Please Help.3: my speakers are spitting popping noises. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-help3/089eb0d0-f896-4be6-be24-c99bfbf93f64
  8. Please help me disable this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help me disable this: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jonbalooshi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hcf3mn/please_help_me_disable_this/
  9. windows 8/10 unable to find files name in a folder, please help.

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 8/10 unable to find files name in a folder, please help.: I have attached two screenshot. as you can see first screenshot, I wish to select all files with the name with "dup" in it and instead of using mouse and ctrl key clicking each one (which sometimes I easily have over 100 files). I wanted to search via top right box for dup...
  10. Disable Auto-Creation of Link for New File

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Auto-Creation of Link for New File: Every time I create a new file, regardless of file type, Win 10 automatically creates a link in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windoes\Recent. How can I disable the automatic creation of such links? Win10 Home 64-bit 52752

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable 8.3 filename creation windows 10

2. 8.3 name creation windows 10

3. disable 8.3 file name creation windows 10

4. How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions in windows 10 x64,
  5. How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions,
  6. how to disable 8.3 filename windows 10,
  7. disable 8.3 file name creation on ntfs windows 10,
  8. How to disable 8.3 file name on windows 10,
  9. windows 10 disable 8.3 filename creation,
  10. 8.3 file creation windows 10,
  11. disable 8.3 filename creation in windows 10,
  12. filename creation,
  13. disabling 8.3 name creation in windows 10,
  14. disable 8.3 filename creation,
  15. 8.3 file name creation