Windows 10: Help with dual display, settings refreshed

Discus and support Help with dual display, settings refreshed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello For months now I've been connecting my laptop to my HDTV via a HDMI cable and VGA + Audio > HDMI Adapter. Originally setting it up took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017.

1. eric9000k Win User

Help with dual display, settings refreshed

Hello

For months now I've been connecting my laptop to my HDTV via a HDMI cable and VGA + Audio > HDMI Adapter.

Originally setting it up took some work to get each device to communicate properly, but it's been working perfectly for months, up to and including last night.

This morning it looked like the display settings reset themselves somehow overnight. The custom scaling had been set to 125% (not me) and the resolution 1024 x 768 (again, not me).

Although the blown up display was still visible on the TV this morning, after I restarted I'm getting a No Signal message and the laptop won't detect the TV. It also kind of looks like I lost some high-res options in the drop down menu.

I've checked all connections and everything seems to be plugged in. I wonder if maybe the power supply to the adapter failed but that doesn't explain why I had the low-res image on the TV this morning; if the adapter has no power I get no image at all.

Another thing, previously I had Windows settings to "Display only on 2" but now it's not detecting multiple displays at all.

Please help !!!

:)

eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017

2. Screen flickering in Windows 10

The only thing that worked for me was making sure I was not set up for dual display. I had the same problem, I was set up for dual display changed.it to single, worked for me maybe this will help, good luck.

JerryRule Jr, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Screen flickering in Windows 10

Check your display settings, make sure it is not set up for dual display. That is what I had to do to stop my screen flickering, hopefully this helps.

JerryRule Jr, Nov 24, 2017
  4. eric9000k Win User

Tried using Device Manager to uninstall/delete display adapters and monitors.
    Tried downloading AMD Catalyst software... won't even run. Says there are no settings it can configure.

Any downloads I find for the hardware come with this catalyst suite that won't run or do anything and it doesn't even look like it's repairing the driver.

AMD Radeon HD 3650

eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017
  5. oook basically your case is a combo , devices (probably all of them) have updated without your consent and cheap adapter .

You might want to turn off device driver update through windows update (working only in pro version of windows) from Control Panel > System Properties > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > "No (Your device may not work as expected)" then save settings , uninstall both sound and video drivers and make sure you tick delete the drivers from store option so they wont keep coming back , reboot , then reinstall latest version from manufacturer .

Now I am not sure about if the adapter is detected as a device in device manager (showing either as a usb device if it gets its power from usb port or shows as a display or both ) , I assume you got one of those brandless things bought online so no practical way to download a proper driver for these but your best bet is to roll back the drivers if the option is there to your earlier working version .

Hopefully your problem is just the vga/sound dilemma and you wont have to roll down the adapter trouble shoot path .

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 24, 2017
  6. eric9000k Win User
    Ho boy.
    Thanks for helping me look into this.

So funny thing - I started looking through my C drive and there's friggen AMD and ATI files everywhere because I've been messing with it since I bought the laptop. Finally found a utility in one of the files as luck would have it removes everything to do with AMD. Also completely removed catalyst through the installer (as Control Panel never seems to work on its own for me).

Didn't go so far as to delete the USB devices (but hell I've done that before and the list has about 12 and by time I delete all the mice I'm using that dumb little red button from 2001) but yes you are right about the adapter it's looking like that .. might, be the problem. The brand is cablor.

I was just starting to wonder why my computer wasn't detecting the Radeon HD at all any more or the laptop display but instead giving me generic devices when the AMD utility required a reboot.

On startup, I'm wondering why my display blacks out and of course it's because I have to turn the TV on *Cool

Anyway I still don't have the resolution I had before and appears to be maximum 1400 x 1050 where before I think I had 1600 x 900... so still open to some more solutions to fix this if anyone can help.

eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017
  7. eric9000k Win User
    The option was definitely not available to roll back the drivers, nightmayor
    but do you think this will keep happening if I continue to allow automatic updates?

eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Helmut Win User

"and there's friggen AMD and ATI files everywhere because I've been messing with it since I bought the laptop. Finally found a utility in one of the files as luck would have it removes everything to do with AMD. Also completely removed catalyst through the installer (as Control Panel never seems to work on its own for me)."

It is not automatic updates that is the problem, it's you messing with drivers in the first instance. This happens to a lot of people with Laptops who should just be leaving it all to Windows updates and the manufacturers.

Helmut, Nov 24, 2017
  9. eric9000k Win User
    lol kind of a dumb thing to say when these things are keeping up with win10 9 years down the road.

I just discovered that at least 5 or 6 people are having the same problem at the same time as me. Must be that super awesome windows update keeping it tight. Anyway, there wasn't any need for me to post this thread I suppose now that I have discovered the many others.

eric9000k, Nov 24, 2017
  10. eric9000k Win User
    which by the way is to find a way to roll back the drivers on the Network Adapter after Windows came through and phased everyone's display overnight.
    Ironic wouldn't you say, Helmut?

eric9000k, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with dual display, settings refreshed - Similar Threads - Help dual display

2. Missing refresh rate in display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing refresh rate in display settings: I have a monitor with 144hz frequency that successfully recognized by one laptop, but not recognized by another one. It has only 60hz option. The same hdmi cable has been used. Rechecked on win 10 and win 11....
  3. Missing refresh rate in display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing refresh rate in display settings: I have a monitor with 144hz frequency that successfully recognized by one laptop, but not recognized by another one. It has only 60hz option. The same hdmi cable has been used. Rechecked on win 10 and win 11....
  4. Dual Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Display: I am unable to have my personal laptop display properly on 2 displays, 34 inch ultrawide and 25 Inch ultrasharp. They are connected to a dell powered docking station capable of dual display with display port. If I unplug the second display, the ultrawide works just fine. When...
  5. Display Refresh Rate help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display Refresh Rate help: Help my laptop with UHD 620 graphics doesn't display options of above 60hz in display properties, with a 75hz monitor. The monitor hits 75hz with another laptop with HD 620 graphics. Please help submitted by /u/BlockCraftedX [link] [comments]...
  6. Help with display settings

Help with display settings: [ATTACH] I was playing civ3 and when I quit the game my screen resolution was smaller. This happens sometimes but when I restart it goes back to its original size. But this time it did't. I restaret a few times, turned it off and on once, tried to change a few settings but...
  7. Help with display settings.

Help with display settings.: So, I'm trying to connect my laptop to my TV using an HDMI cable, but the scaling is wrong. On the TV some parts are cut off and I don't know how to fix it. Help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/EdgeFail [link] [comments]...
  8. Dual Monitor Display Setting Messed Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Display Setting Messed Up: I just got a new monitor to go with my laptop and I plugged it in. However, when I go to the display settings it says that the new monitor is smaller than my laptop's desktop screen. Is there a way to change the settings so that the larger monitor is displayed as so in the...
  9. Display settings for dual monitors

Display settings for dual monitors: Im using dual monitors. Can I have different backgrounds for each monitor? I want to have a darker background on my larger monitor #2 as the current background reflects to brightly on my face for online meetings. Thank you, Gaia...
  10. Dual Displays

Dual Displays: Hi... I'm setting up dual displays 1 regular ViewSonic computer monitor -VGA connection / 1 BenQ TV screen - HDMI connection. My trouble is getting the screen resolution sizes to work for both screens. The best I've got so far is the setting for "Duplicate These Displays" /...