Windows 10: Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

Discus and support Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; You might want to check out this tutorial also Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Clintlgm Win User

Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
  2. alexncfc Win User

Hi all,

Not sure if I've selected the proper category here to post this type of question but feel free to move if so.

Anyway, I've got Windows installed on a 128GB SSD which is perfectly fine for the operating system and some apps, plus I have a 2TB hard drive as my D drive, but I want to move the folders such as:
    • C:\Users\Alex\Documents
    • C:\Users\Alex\Pictures
    • C:\Users\Alex\Videos

and so on to another location, this being:
    • D:\Home\Alex\Documents
    • D:\Home\Alex\Pictures
    • D:\Home\Alex\Videos

Obviously using the default folders (the C drive listings above) secures them to my user account in Windows, so if anyone else from another account tried to access them, they wouldn't be able to. But just having them on the D drive in custom folders like those above, surely means any other user would be able to access these from their account?

Sadly I am not very clued up with folder permissions in Windows, so can anyone advise what do I need to do to the folders in D:\Home\Alex to make them only accessible from my own user account, just as they would be if they were in the default Windows location of C:\Users\Alex?

Thanks

:)

alexncfc, Apr 11, 2018
  3. Moving entire folders

How do I move an entire folder from, say documents to videos pics to music desktop to pics etc.... It is a pain in the podex to move one item @ time!

StewartJohnson-779, Apr 11, 2018
  4. Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

Trouble importing photos with windows 10

Not a solution but a fix.

The problem appears to lie with the way MS have set up the Pictures folder. I've tried changing permissions but it did no good at all. So:

• I created a new folder "Photos and Pics" as a subfolder of Documents.
    • I copied all my folders from "Pictures" to "Photos and Pics". This required giving approval to copy each folder!
    • Inserted SD card. Loaded Picasa. Clicked on Import.
    • Clicked OK when the error message appeared. "An error has occurred etc etc"
    • Identified the folder with the photos.
    • Identified the receiving folder under Documents/Photos and Pics.
    • I could then import photos as before.
    It isn't ideal but better than not being able to import. I can also now export photos from the "Photos and Pics" folders without needing to give myself permission.

If I attempt to import into Pictures instead of Documents/Photos and Pics/appropriate folder Picasa shows the photos but lowlights the import options so they can't be used.

I tried importing into the Photos app and got that totally useless message "An error has occurred"!

Hope this helps. Now onto my other Windows 10 problems!

When will MS do something about this?

JezzaWozza, Apr 11, 2018
  5. AndreTen Win User
    You can move Users folder like it's described in this Tutorial for Documents:

*Arrow tenforums |tutorials/74952-documents-folder-move-location-windows-10

Repeat the same procedure for Pictures, Videos and Downloads (or any other User folder).

Permissions shouldn't be a problem. New folders will retain the same functionality and security as original folders.

AndreTen, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

1. Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc - Similar Threads - Help folder permissions

2. The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...: I was having trouble logging in - Windows was refusing to do this even though everything had been fine for years. In playing with the computer I created a temporary user. But then things got straightened out and I could log into my account. The trouble is, the standard...
  3. The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...: I was having trouble logging in - Windows was refusing to do this even though everything had been fine for years. In playing with the computer I created a temporary user. But then things got straightened out and I could log into my account. The trouble is, the standard...
  4. The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder: So I use a program called SyncBackPro to quickly backup my data from my computer to my external drive, it only mirrors the differences so the backup takes only a few seconds. The other day I noticed that it is copying files from my Documents folder and the progress bar...
  6. Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders: Hello! I just reassigned my default Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc. folders to folders on my secondary drive to save space on my performance drive. All the little emblems updated for each folder, except for the Pictures and Documents folders, and my OCD isn't liking it....
  7. Two Documents Folders and no Video folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Documents Folders and no Video folder.: I've been trying to move my videos folder and documents folder to my other drive and I mistakenly forgot to give them folder locations so they were put in the location E: instead of a folder inside of my E: drive. I fixed the issue mostly other than I have 2 folders named...
  8. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663
  9. OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders: Hello all, I've been searching for the last couple of weeks and haven't exactly found what I am looking for--I may need a third party app, but we shall see. I have two computers--a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 Pro. My desktop's storage is basically...
  10. Documents folder renamed videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder renamed videos: Hello, my Documents folder has somehow become Videos (in This PC). I don't recall making a change to it's name and in fact can't find any way of changing it. I did read a similar post after googling the problem, but the responses involved registry editing as the solution and...