Windows 10: Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

Discus and support Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bfollowell, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely similar to the issue that the older Sound Blaster Z cards had several years ago where they were not recognized on many, but not all, UEFI systems. The fix was to disable UEFI and boot in Legacy mode with CSM enabled. It sounds as if I'm going to need to delve into this myself, if I want to fix my sound card issues and not have to restart my computer four times every single time I boot from a shut-down state.

My main boot drive is a Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB SSD, that is currently setup as GPT. I believe I need to convert it to MBR, then turn off Secure Boot and set my Maximus IX Hero up in Legacy Mode and reinstall Windows 10 in non-UEFI mode.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that the Windows 10 install media creation tool creates bootable USB install drives that will boot with either UEFI or in Legacy mode. Can someone confirm that for me?

Is anyone willing to point me to any online resources that may help me in this endeavor or offer me some advice?

Thanks.

:)

bfollowell, Mar 14, 2018

2. how to stop booting from windows boot manager windows 10

Sorry if I wasn't clear.:

In UEFI the Windows Boot Manager must always be first in Boot Priority because it alone boots Windows.

This is unlike Legacy BIOS where the hard drive is what is set first to boot itself.

So if you wanted to boot a hard drive via the BIOS Boot menu as was recommended in Legacy BIOS to have least complications, you'd need to enable CSM or Legacy BIOS in UEFI Setup, boot the media as a non-UEFI Legacy flash stick or DVD, delete all partitions
    to clear the formatting and then install Legacy to MBR format. This would then make that hard drive bootable via BIOS Boot menu key.

Hope that's clearer.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Getting into bios

If you don't see UEFI in Advanced Startup Options Menu, than you probably have Legacy Bios. That is what I have and I do not have the UEFI menu option in ASOM.

I looked up legacy bios and when I had to reinstall windows 10 for the first time there was no option on how to boot bios listed

and it has to do with using a flash drive

BIOS: To prevent Windows Setup or Windows PE from booting in UEFI mode, remove the efi folder
    on the root of the media.

GregoryFye52, Mar 14, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

Changing from uefi to legacy bios is unlikely to solve your issue if it is a driver or hardware related issue.

Try this first.

Disable Fast Startup from Power menus.

This forces a full boot up each time you boot pc.

cereberus, Mar 14, 2018
  5. Thanks for the input. I've already tried that. As a matter of fact, I disabled Fast Boot and increased my Post Boot Delay Time from 3 to 10 seconds because someone thought my computer may be booting too fast for the card to properly initialize. It makes no difference whatsoever. I've gone the whole gamut of tech support with Creative and with ASUS and I just got my motherboard back from an ASUS RMA; no problem found.

While I am not 100% certain that this will fix my problem, I am certain that I've ready no less than fifty accounts from individuals with the previous generation of Sound Blaster Z cards that experienced the same exact symptoms that I'm experiencing and that, at the behest of Creative tech support, they switched from UEFI to Legacy Boot, and never again experienced the problem of their sound card not being properly recognized at boot once they did. I believe the new Sound BlasterX is based on a modified/improved version of the same sound core, though obviously not improved enough to have fixed this issue.

As far as I can tell, I'm all out of options other than trying this, and as big a pain as it will be to try, I'd much rather do that than to continue to have to restart my computer four times every time I boot from a shut-down condition to get my sound to work properly, which is what it takes now.

If you have some other things to try, I'd certainly be willing, but I've probably already tried them to no success. You never know though, you may have the one thing I haven't tried that will fix it.

Thanks again.

bfollowell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

1. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI - Similar Threads - Help Legacy BIOS

2. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  3. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  4. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  5. Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS: I am preparing to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I am going to do a complete delete-everything reinstall. I am going by the article posted in this community by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP “Clean Install Windows 10” I am going to use the basic Media Creation Tool referenced in the...
  6. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  7. Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

in Windows 10 News
    Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Compared to BIOS, Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) makes the computer extra secure. If your laptop supports UEFI, you should use it. However, at times, the legacy BIOS is still useful. An example – if you’re booting from a network [...] This post...
  8. Custom Boot Logo Windows 10 UEFI Boot Method? (Non-Legacy)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Boot Logo Windows 10 UEFI Boot Method? (Non-Legacy): Is there currently any way to configure a custom boot logo for UEFI booting? I can only find methods for Legacy users, but no luck with UEFI. I'm kind of new to custom boot logos, so if anybody could give me some information as to if it's possible first? Regards 43037
  9. Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.: After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in the inability to boot the GPT'ed system. I was running Windows 10 Creator on an MBR system using an MSI H61M-E23 (version 2)...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...