Windows 10: Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots

Discus and support Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been using win 10 for quite a long time and am happy with it. This evening when I was opening up a word document it behaved strangely . I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sportflyer, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots

I have been using win 10 for quite a long time and am happy with it. This evening when I was opening up a word document it behaved strangely . I could shut it down but after that everything stopped working. Ctrl alt delete wont respond. I had to shut down the computer using the Power button. When I restarted the computer . It immediately went into update mode screen with the usual configuring windows and warning about not shutting down the computer .The screen is orange with circulating dots. ( first time I see an orange screen , its usually blue) .At the beginning there was a short indication of % like about 35% but now only circulating dots . Nothing else works . Its already been running for 1/2 hour or so. I will leave it overnight to see whether I can get to the log in screen.

What to do if I cant get to the log in screen ? Without log in screen I cant get to system restore? Is there a way to boot into recovery mode? I do have a Macrium image and a Macrium recovery flash drive. Will windows recognize this thumb drive on boot or do I have to boot into Bios first to change order of boot . I wonder if its even possible to do this ?

Alternatively can make and use win 10 recovery flash drive from another window 10 machine ?

Please advise. Tks

:)

sportflyer, Feb 13, 2016

2. Stuck on blue screen with rotating white dots for hours

Hi,

As you are facing issue with startup, I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check it helps.

Method 1: Perform a Power Drain.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Method 2: Perform Startup Repair.

• Go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10
      installation media.
    • Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot>Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Wayarian Win User
    Stuck on blue screen with rotating white dots for hours

I have an Alienware Alpha and a couple of days ago, I started having this problem that whenever the PC was restarted or turned off, upon turning back on and after the computer booted Windows back up, I would be stuck at this blue screen with rotating white
    dots in the center. The only way out of it was pressing ctrl+alt+del and that brought me to the login screen but there was no field for the password or anything, just the icons for internet, accessibility and power in the bottom right hand corner.

I scanned other articles online and the consensus was that it was a problem with a cumulative update released by Windows and that the way to fix it was to let it sit for a few hours until it lets you log in, and then disable fast boot.

But it still doesn't work. It still makes me sit at the blue screen with the rotating dots for at LEAST 2 hours before it lets me log in.

I don't know how to fix this and it is super frustrating because I haven't been able to use my PC for a few days now and I can't seem to find a solution to this problem. Any suggestions?

Wayarian, Feb 13, 2016
  4. Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots

The Recovery Drive option using an 8gb or larger flash drive is an option used when you are not able to bring up the F8 boot menu and recovery options/tools. I keep a small flash drive that goes onto a key chain initially made last summer I could still use on the latest Insider Preview build as well as on the November 11th Threshold 2 Update on the two desktops here. The second desktop runs the Insider builds as well as on the VMs both machines see while the main build's host/boot drive sees the TH2 Update here and yet both machines can still use the flash drive since the recovery options and tools are still the same!

The same would apply for you there. With an update having a problem being stuck a boot up in Safe mode and back into Windows normally should help to clear that up since the Windows update tool is stuck at the moment. If the update is non essential you can simply hide it while looking the list of available once back in the normal desktop.

Night Hawk, Feb 13, 2016
  5. Here what I did. I booted into repair advanced options and selected system restore .(since this is a HP AIO computer I pressed ESC repeatedly on computer start|) Restore process detected disk errors . I chose option to repair disk. After disk repair is completed , I clicked on next but it keeps getting into disk repair loop so I exited program . I was returned to system restore screen . I then restarted the restore again and chose an earlier restore point. It started the restore process but then failed to restore . Do I have a crashed HDD ?

At this point can I even use Macrium Image to restore since I may have a bad disk?

I managed to restore computer to an earlier restore point after I ran HP System diagnostics. I got to the restore process which asked me for password which was not there when I first tried to restore. After I entered my password the restore proceeded smoothly.

sportflyer, Feb 13, 2016
  6. Well at least you are making some progress despite the run around you had to go through! This is one reason why I have always preferred to stick with custom builds to avoid all the OEM blunders while recently I had to add laptops in over the last now 4yrs. into the mix with their batches of OEM blunderments like not being able to get into the actual bios program itself or bring up a boot menu until switching from HP to Toshiba that is with the replacement 10 laptop that replaced the older 7 upgraded to 10 HP model.

The question now will be has the looping problem been cleared up? Have you tried restarting the machine a few times to verify that Windows will now be able to start up without a glitch?

The diagnostic tool show disk errors would not come as any surprise while seeing the Disk Check scheduled is now possible and would be recommended to have the Windows tool scan the drive on the next startup to rule out any further problems. Often the partition information as well as boot loader can get a little lost at times where Windows could stall with all that being software still.

The way to get that going immediately but not as thorough as scheduling a run of the tool is done quckly by right clicking on any drive's(hard drive not optical or other unless external HD) icon seen in any explorer window and opening up the Tools tab on the Properties screen and then simply clicking on the Error checking button and......

Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots [​IMG]

Something new since 7 is you now will see a message as to whether or not you even need to run the tool appear. To get past this however and still see the drive tool scheduled to run you simply right click on the Start button instead to bring up that right click menu and scroll down to the Command prompt(admin) option which equals the Elevated command prompt with elevated permissions. You then simply type "chkdsk /r/f" with the two switches added onto the command being R for Repair and F for Fix. Once you type that in and hit the enter/return key you will then see the confirmation message in the window for it being scheduled to run on the next startup. It will take several minutes and timing will depend somewhat on the size of the drive itself. It's an old tool that still does a great job however at seeing problems cleaned up quickly!

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots

1. Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots - Similar Threads - Help machine stuck

2. Not able to reset my Windows10 pc, stuck in ASUS logo screen with dots rotating for ever

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to reset my Windows10 pc, stuck in ASUS logo screen with dots rotating for ever: Hi There, Sorry if this was already asked. I am having a problem with my PC, It is taking longer time to login and also i have lost data from my drive all of the sudden. Have tried all the options mentioned in ASUS support page, 1. Tried log into safe mode but stuck...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on blue screen with rotating dots

Windows 10 stuck on blue screen with rotating dots: When I turned on my computer today, I first received a black screen with the windows icon and the following message: "Fixing C: Stage ___, Total ____ %, ETA____". After that I was redirected to a blue screen with the white rotating dots, and have since been stuck on that...
  4. Stuck in rotating circle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in rotating circle: I have a gaming PC that I bought 4-6 years ago with my friend helping me build it (lack of pc knowledge) it runs fine 3 days when I was applying thermal paste on my processor, everytime I turn on the PC it would beep once and then turned off (I solve it by realizing that the...
  5. stuck at "working on updates" at 27%, reboots to rotating dots

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    stuck at "working on updates" at 27%, reboots to rotating dots: HI all, this is the second of two laptops that I can't upgrade to Windows 10. This is a Toshiba Satellite L665-S5156 running OEM installed Windows 7 Home, fully updated and activated with OEM marker present in firmware as per ShowKeyPlus. I am trying to upgrade this to...
  6. Rotation lock is stuck.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rotation lock is stuck.: My laptop is supposed to be able to rotate and when it suddenly stopped, I looked to see the problem. I found that under the orientation, there is a rotation lock and it was on. I tried to click it, but the switch and even the letters that say "Rotation lock" are all gray and...
  7. Win 10 1803 Stuck on boot with black screen and rotating dots.

Win 10 1803 Stuck on boot with black screen and rotating dots.: Since the beginning of July I have run into a problems booting my Win 10 pro x64 (1803) desktop PC, following some Windows updates and AMD GPU driver updates on Restart it got as far as displaying the Win 10 logo with a rotating circle of dots then the screen goes black and...
  8. Stuck at Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at Spinning Dots: I have a Dell Precision 7910 on windows 10 1803. I updated a couple weeks ago through windows update. I have booted the machine several times since updating. A few days ago I update the NVIDIA driver. I have dual K620 cards. Booted a couple of times sine that update. Today...
  9. Why do the dots stop rotating?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why do the dots stop rotating?: I have a Dell Dimension 3100 that I upgraded to Windows 10, with no adverse effects. I recently added a widescreen monitor and a GT 730 card. This story is told in more detail in another thread. The reason for raising the issue here is that the driver is somehow in conflict...
  10. Stuck at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at spinning dots: Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad English. My issue is pretty straight forward: last night I left my computer powered on, and when I woke up, I had a Windows update screen stuck at 100%. The mouse didn't work, everything was frozen. I restarted my PC and it froze at...