Windows 10: HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please

Discus and support HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Could not get the upgrade tool to work in 7 because of my Nvidia card which the tool refused. Spent hours taking to nvidia and installing new w10/7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pangycat, May 18, 2016.

1. pangycat Win User

HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please

Could not get the upgrade tool to work in 7 because of my Nvidia card which the tool refused. Spent hours taking to nvidia and installing new w10/7 drivers. Nothing....So I upgraded using the DVD media and my 10 looks good except it killed the activation in Excel and outlook which I had to re-do again ! W10 activation is still ok
    So now I run sfc /scannow and get errors.
    I use the command to send the errors from the log file to txt file and all I see is Avast mentioned about 4 times..
    So I drop my avast shield... boot.. try again.. no luck...errors ..mentions avast
    So I totally uninstall avast..reboot..try again..errors..mentions the uninstalled avast

At this point I am wondering whether avast is in the manifest of system files that W10 brought across on the upgrade and my lack of avast or new avast in the current system does not agree ? Is that possible ??? If so how do I get avast out of the system manifest that W10 update tool created ? Please see attached log file in txt format...

:)

pangycat, May 18, 2016
  2. 7miracles Win User

How to play DVD in Windows 10.

I have the same inoperable dvd problem after upgrading to Windows 10. Help me figure out how to play a simple dvd on my laptop after upgrading to Windows 10.

Would someone please walk me through it in plain English? PLEASE?

7miracles, May 18, 2016
  3. Cannot burn CDs and DVDs after uprading to Windows 10

Original title: cd and dvd burning

I upgrade to windows 10 pro and after the upgrade I failed to burn cds and dvd. tried nero 10 still no solution. please help

Mduduzi Shabangu

Mduduzi Cyprian Shabangu, May 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi pangycat and welcome to Tenforums.

Avast (and any 3rd-party AV) really should be removed prior to upgrading, but SFC command is only looking at the integrity of operating system files, and so I don't think it's a problem.

Please see option #5 here, to grab only the pertinent information from the log for us:
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The sfc /scannow needs to be run at least three times, with reboots in-between, and Fast Startup needs to be turned off.

Could be you need to run DISM commands to do some repairs, but let's have a look first.

Thanks.

simrick, May 19, 2016
  5. pangycat Win User
    ok and thank you in advance for your interest. I am sure that the sfc is failing only because of Avast, but I won't sleep until I get an 'all clear' from sfc..... Option 5 refers to outputting an 'easy to read ' txt file and I attached that to my original post...you can see from it that only avast is causing a hiccup. I found the avast manifest files and winsxs files and changed ownership from trusted installer to me, and then got rid of them....but the sfc is still failing.. I looked in the registry and it has tons of avast references. I left that alone for now... I have run the avast clear exe utility...no luck ! ps avast is totally un-installed and the clear avast exe has been run.. ps I have turned fast startup/hibernate off...

pangycat, May 19, 2016
  6. Sleeping pill on it's way ...

The errors are related to Avast including a 32-bit C runtime library.

Info CSI 000004ec [SR] Cannot verify component files for
    Avast.VC140.CRT, version 14.0.23918.0,
    arch x86,
    versionScope neutral,
    pkt {l:8 b:fcc99ee6193ebbca},
    type [l:5]"win32",
    manifest is damaged (TRUE)
    Info CSI 000035f9 [SR] Repairing 1 components

Info CSI 000035fd [SR] Cannot verify component files for
    Avast.VC140.CRT,
    version 14.0.23918.0,
    arch x86,
    versionScope neutral,
    pkt {l:8 b:fcc99ee6193ebbca},
    type [l:5]"win32",
    manifest is damaged (TRUE)
    Info CSI 000035fe [SR] Repair complete

Info CSI 00003603 [SR] Committing transaction
    Info CSI 00003608 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed.
    All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired
    The entries are all INFO type and the final status is SFC is sucess.

To clean up Avast:
    Uninstall it from Programs and Features
    then
    Download the Avast uninstall pgm and follow the instructions
    note the Safe mode requirement.
    See: Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums
    After restarting your machine, you can run another SFC if you want.

Slartybart, May 19, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Okay, sorry, I didn't realise you had pulled the [SR] list for us.
    Basically, your log has one reference to Avast, and then finishes with "all files and registry keys successfully repaired"

Code: 2016-05-19 15:53:33, Info CSI 000035fd [SR] Cannot verify component files for Avast.VC140.CRT, version 14.0.23918.0, arch x86, versionScope neutral, pkt {l:8 b:fcc99ee6193ebbca}, type [l:5]"win32", manifest is damaged (TRUE) 2016-05-19 15:53:33, Info CSI 000035fe [SR] Repair complete 2016-05-19 15:53:35, Info CSI 00003603 [SR] Committing transaction 2016-05-19 15:53:35, Info CSI 00003608 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired[/quote] Absolutely nothing to worry about; you're fine as far as the W10 system goes.

Question: Did you run the Avast Removal Tool in Safe Mode?

Please download and install Ccleaner Free. Let's run the Registry Cleaner.
    First, please make a System Restore Point.
    Then, open Ccleaner and run a scan on the registry as shown below:

HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please [​IMG]

Once the scan has completed, make sure all items are selected, and click Fix Selected Issues. When it asks you to make a backup, say YES. Save the changes it will make to the registry in a folder where you can find them, just in case you need to restore the changes you've made (FYI, I have NEVER had to do a restore in all the years I have used it, but, better safe than sorry). Then select Fix All. (p.s. if you ever need to undue Ccleaner registry changes, simply double-click the saved file and it will be added back into the registry.)

Then go to Tools, on the left, Startup in the next column, and look under the Windows and Startup tabs for anything related to Avast. Sort by Publisher column to make it easier. If you find anything there, disable it.

Then, still in Tools, go to Browser Plugins, and search for Avast entries as well, disabling any leftovers you may find.

Open File Explorer and make sure the following folder no longer appears:
    C:\Program Files\avast software\

Reboot the system. Try running SFC /SCANNOW again and let's see what happens.

simrick, May 19, 2016
  8. HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please

cCleaner - I was going to suggest that. *Wink

One trick I use with cCleaner is to rename the vendor folders (anything Avast in this case), then run the regigistry oprion in cCleaner.
    File Explorer search
    kind:=folder Avastrename, not delete.

Also note that because cCleaner is careful, I suggest immediately running a 2nd cCleaner registry scan to clean up any linked entries.

Slartybart, May 19, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Good point. Thanks Slartybart! *Smile

simrick, May 19, 2016
  10. pangycat Win User
    Hey thanks guys..I have been upstairs struggling with this thing so I didn't see your replies...registry cleaner sounds great.. Wifey is on 24 hour fasting for colonoscopy in the morning and is a bit growly, so I am trying not to annoy her by keyboard banging..... I am putting a snicker in my car dashboard for when she come out of the op.... Anyway back to the important stuff (lol), I am sure we will get there so I have a clean sfc, and I know that I could just accept it as it is, but that isn't me and avast must go ! I shall return ! and so many thanks for your valuable help so far..... ps I like avast, but should I reinstall it after the eventual victory, and is it just a function of being wrapped up in the W0 upgrade that has caused this. I run Avast on my other r machines with no sfc problems and one of them had auto W10 upgrade too..... Getting a bit in front of myself here..

pangycat, May 19, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Be nice to the wife. Remember, when the wife is happy, everybody's happy! *Smile

No problem. Take your time; we'll be around.

I like Avast too, and put it on a lot of the systems I work on. I do, however, uncheck all their "extras" when installing. These are the only components I install:

HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please [​IMG]

Good luck to your wife tomorrow! *Smile

simrick, May 19, 2016
  12. pangycat Win User
    excellent stuff !

pangycat, May 19, 2016
  13. pangycat Win User

ok so uninstalled avast again using revo uninstaller which uses avast uninstaller then goes much further..
    Then I used the cleanavast.exe tool in safe mode
    Then I used the CC cleaner to whack the registry (its nice !)
    Rebooted in between each step
    But look at the attached file..pesky avast is still showing up !

Having beer and chewing on it all...going to search for avast files manually

pangycat, May 19, 2016
  14. pangycat Win User
    ok there are a lot of avast files on this computer...manifest files in the window sxs directory
    A lot in windows.old from the upgrade..
    Attached a screen shot of SOME of them

pangycat, May 19, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    This guy had the same problem and deleted them all manually.
    Avast leftovers - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software
    Seems a PITA to me...

simrick, May 19, 2016
Thema:

1. HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please - Similar Threads - HELP SFC DVD

2. sfc /scannow problem please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow problem please help: I have a question I need help I have Windows 10 and every time I run SFC /SCANNOW it tells me there is an issue I don't know why I ran it multiple times and still the same thing can anyone tell me what I should do please. and yes I have restarted the computer windows specs...
  3. sfc /scannow problem please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow problem please help: I have a question I need help I have Windows 10 and every time I run SFC /SCANNOW it tells me there is an issue I don't know why I ran it multiple times and still the same thing can anyone tell me what I should do please. and yes I have restarted the computer windows specs...
  4. sfc /scannow problem please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. sfc /scannow error message please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sfc /scannow error message please help: I need help. I was trying to run the sfc /scannow command for about 4 times as administrator, but always when I was on 4% completed the error message show up. Can please someone help me with this? Thank you for answer.Do I have to try it in power shell? [ATTACH]...
  6. Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.: Post-installation, I noticed that the bass in a lot of the music I hear seems to feel 'empty', like there's no presence. This is more noticeable the lower the 808 note. Even messing around with the Equalizer and increasing the lower frequencies creates overwhelming bass....
  7. Please help find a DVD program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help find a DVD program: Please help find a DVD Program To d/l free that will burn the contents of a DVD to A blank DVD .that will work on windows 10 home prem.Thank you very much . 29091
  8. No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10: I am running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. After upgrading from Win7, I cannot play back or burn DVDs. I can however play audio CDs. I have tried the registry tricks suggested in other posts, but without success. 49278
  9. SFC corruption detected after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC corruption detected after upgrade: What gives? Windows 7 was clean before the update, 9715
  10. Windows 10 upgrade, help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade, help please: Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download.....