Windows 10: Help with start menu font please

Discus and support Help with start menu font please in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So i figured it was time to spice up my windows install a bit. I changed my font via winaero tweaker and it seems to have applied to every area of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by klepp0906, May 23, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Help with start menu font please

So i figured it was time to spice up my windows install a bit. I changed my font via winaero tweaker and it seems to have applied to every area of windows EXCEPT the start menu. When i open the start menu to view all my folders and subsequent apps, the font is standard still.

Any way to get this font matching the rest of my windows font?

If theres a way someone here will know *Smile

:)

klepp0906, May 23, 2017

2. Deleted fonts now cant open start

I deleted some fonts by mistake and now my winodws is all messed up i cant open the start menu or anything i can just open my browser ,where can i get the default windows 10 fonts? Please help

Raven Faust, May 23, 2017
  3. Make system fonts larger

I want to make the system font larger NOT the menu fonts, icon fonts, ETC just the SYSTEM fonts I have a screen capture but I don't know how to upload it!

Some help, please!

vietvet7071, May 23, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

WE do have many customization experts here but I am definitely not one of them. However, since your request stirred my interest, I did some minimal research and found this old thread:

Start Menu font size

Now, things may have changed since then, but if they didn't, you may be interested in trying out Classic Shell and using this tutorial to change the start menu fonts to your preference:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-chang...ll-start-menu/

Again, I am no expert in this area but since I prefer Classic Shell Start Menu anyway, I thought I would make that suggestion. Here is a view of my CS Start Menu for your edification (without any modified fonts):

Help with start menu font please [​IMG]

Hope someone can help you with your original request.

Regards,

5. klepp0906 Win User
    thank you for your reply. You know, i would totally entertain the idea of the modified start menu (vaguely looked into it) but I already put so much work into getting the default one set up the way I want it that it would be a total shame to have that all go to waste.

That being said, in the future come next reformat a half year from now or so (most likely when next major windows revision goes out).. it may be time to go that route.

Until I can find a solution for my inquiry I just set all the other fonts back to default (mismatching font would drive me batty).

While I have you here and its fairly on topic, im curious. Does classic shell allow you to move/nest the metro apps etc? Like Store for example?

klepp0906, May 23, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Don't give up yet because we have some great customizers around here. However, I am not an app guy but I am quite sure it can do what you are asking. Here are some other views of my CS start menu:

Customized for my specific uses.

NOTE: I deleted all the apps from this view.

You still have access to the Win + X via right click.

apps expanded view.

7. klepp0906 Win User
    yea im not giving up - just going to have to be patient. Real shame MS is adamant about making things so limited these days (among other things).

I cant ascertain from your screenshots whether it is in fact behaving in the way I hope (but i think it can too) so im installing it as we speak to play around. Should it reign me in, perhaps ill have to suck it up and do one more quick format and be done with it. Time will tell.

Ftr, im not an app guy either. I hate them to be frank. I remove everything that I can that doesnt effect OS functionality and the few things I have to leave (such as the store) I hate having the tile outside of a folder so Im seeking a way to place the "apps" into a folder, similar to any other x86 app that is installed. At least then my start menu is an organized list of folders - not a hodgepodge of folders and tiles (if that makes sense).

Thank you for taking the time to take screenshots.

klepp0906, May 23, 2017
  8. WOT
    WOT Win User

Yes, install it and play with it. Easy to install and uninstall if it doesn't fit your needs. Oh sure, you can place those apps anywhere you want. In a folder if you wish. Actually, the apps are already in a folder that I expanded in my last image. Sorry if I am not clearly understanding your intent.

9. Edwin New Member
    To change fonts in the UWP UI, you would need to change a lot of things in a lot of Windows System Apps folders; True Type Fonts, Style Sheets, rewrite Appx manifests, etc.!
    I looked into it, too much work and risk! Wasn't worth it!
    Here's one example:

Edwin, May 23, 2017
  10. klepp0906 Win User
    and there we have it *Smile

classic-shell it is. reformatting this morning and going to go for gold *Smile Will let ya know how it goes. thank you guys. I swear these (windowsversion)forums are the best.

klepp0906, May 23, 2017
  11. klepp0906 Win User
    ok so classic shell is by and large looking feasable/ideal all things considered. I have one question which would make it perfect!

Using the windows 7 start menu metro skin offers an option to open directly to the all programs list (this is what i want) however it leaves a (for me) useless and unsightly "back" button at the bottom which would obviously return you to the default recent items list that i'll never/have never/will never use.

Any way to remove this button so i can open to all programs and thats that? I realize you can disable the recent items functionality but that still leaves a back button that simply returns to a blank and even mroe useless page Help with start menu font please :p

klepp0906, May 23, 2017
  12. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I don't have time to investigate that possibility; however, you can either wait for additonal responses or just post it on the classic shell forum where the author is quick to answer all questions.

13. dalchina New Member

Perhaps you could post a screenshot- there are a number of options that control the format. Thanks.

(E.g. use the PrtSc key if available to capture the whole desktop - you can then crop in Paint e.g.).

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  14. klepp0906 Win User
    okie doke. instead of harassing you i'll move over there. am using it full time now. apart from little this n that quirks I shoulda changed much sooner. woulda saved me several reformats that i know of offhand ;p

klepp0906, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with start menu font please - Similar Threads - Help start menu

2. Fault in the font in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fault in the font in Start Menu: Hello guys! Have a closer look in the font in the names of the app. It looks unusual and different than the headings of the grouped tiles. So, how do I change the font of the names of apps...
  3. start menu locked please help!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu locked please help!!: when i press the "F7" key after i open the start menu. the menu gets locked and i cant use my mouse to choose anything on the menu. i have no idea how to unlock the start menu other than signing out and back in again. can anyone please help? also, why is this happen only...
  4. Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help

Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help: I disabled Cortana in the regedit and also renamed the Cortana folder in the System Apps folder in order to completely stop it from running. Now, when I hit the Start menu button on the keyboard, it opens up, but am unable to type in anything.. How do I resolve this issue?...
  5. Start menu is being weird? Please help!

Start menu is being weird? Please help!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SmolPupple [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hz8rdk/start_menu_is_being_weird_please_help/
  6. Start Menu fonts and icons are Magnified

Start Menu fonts and icons are Magnified: I currently have my screen extended from 16:10 to a 16:9 monitor. The start menu is not working a expected on the 16:9 screen. Icons and fonts are magnified and not able to display the full list, also there's a limit on the scrolling. Please find below the comparison of...
  7. start menu stopped working on windows. please help

start menu stopped working on windows. please help: I have gone on the microsoft community forum, tried the fixes but it does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-stopped-working-on-windows-please-help/d0f9381b-a54c-4c42-8d35-7f8c00ebf5a7
  8. Windows 1909 start menu issue. Please help.

Windows 1909 start menu issue. Please help.: I recently got a new computer. I set it up, and got it updated to the newest version. I know that one of the new features is the start menu auto expand when you hover over the left side. However, I can't get my start menu to do that. I like that feature. I know its a small...
  9. Start Menu font size

Start Menu font size: Has anyone figured out how to increase the font size and/or font type in the start menu? All the regular "personalize" options are basically for desktop and text and borders and the like, but nothing for the menu itself. These old eyes are hurtin' !!!! Turning the...
  10. Start menu looks different then before, please help

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu looks different then before, please help: Hello, after Win10 reinstall, start menu looks different then before, how can i fix it? also is it normal that upgrade to win10 took over 14hours? it was stuck at 99% for 10hours. now: http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upl...start-menu.jpg before:...